Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

passport

Options
  • 13-05-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

this is probably not the correct subforum for this question, but i couldnt find anything else that fits better

so me and my wife are parents, our baby was born 3 weeks ago. we are both living in ireland for around a year. i'm german, my wife is pakistani. we would like to travel to pakistan later this year.

what do we need for our child? i think we will (or will have to) get him the german citizenship at first, but will it automatically get us a passport for our baby?

yes i know i should ask the embassy, and i will do so. but maybe someone here has some experience with a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

murfilein wrote: »
    this is probably not the correct subforum for this question, but i couldnt find anything else that fits better

so me and my wife are parents, our baby was born 3 weeks ago. we are both living in ireland for around a year. i'm german, my wife is pakistani. we would like to travel to pakistan later this year.

what do we need for our child? i think we will (or will have to) get him the german citizenship at first, but will it automatically get us a passport for our baby?

yes i know i should ask the embassy, and i will do so. but maybe someone here has some experience with a similar situation?

Yes I believe you will have to get German citizenship. For qualified to be irish citizenship for baby you have to live here 3 years I.e. Tax paid continuously for 3 years and then the child is entitled for Irish passport. Otherwise you or your wife should hold irish citizenship for the baby to immediately get irish passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

german it is then! not that it matters too much, its the EU after all. i hope they can give us a passport quickly. little baby wants to meet grandma and grandpa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

Afaik your baby has automatic german citizenshipas you are german. You just need to get a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

Afaik your baby has automatic german citizenshipas you are german. You just need to get a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I believe Germany has quite tight restrictions around dual citizenship, refusing to recognize it in most cases, so think carefully about the long-term as well as short-term plan for your baby. For example, if you subsequently apply for Irish or Pakistani citizenship for the child, it might automaticly revoke her German citizenship. Best get specific advice from an official German source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

Wooha is right, once one parent is German, the baby automatically is too. Also ab zur deutschen Botschaft :)
    (which reminds me, I must get her the German passport... oh well. the Irish one will do for the moment. :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Also German passport is valid longer than the Irish one, for babies at least 5 years versus 3). ;-) but the Germans are way stricter on the passport pics, pics that got us an Irish passport were rejected by the Germans...

The rules on dual citizenship were relaxed a while ago by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

After you get the German passport for your baby, you don't have to have Pakistani visa on baby's passport as you can have the baby endorsed on your wife's passport. The only reason I'm suggesting this as you will save on the visa fee of €75 while the endorsement is either free or €5/€10. I am assuming your wife have a Pakistani passport.

Advertisement