Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you know that Canada is the 2nd biggest country in the world?

Options
  • 13-05-2014 11:09pm
    Site Banned Posts: 63 ✭✭

Yet most of you won't set a foot outside Toronto/Vancouver. Such a shame. It's hard for an Irish person to comprehend how vast Canada actually is.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That's an awfully large assumption to make about "most of us". What statistics have you got to back up your claims?

• Site Banned Posts: 63 ✭✭Maid of the Mist

The "Where are ye heading to?" thread provides the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

Yet most of you won't set a foot outside Toronto/Vancouver. Such a shame. It's hard for an Irish person to comprehend how vast Canada actually is.

Pretty strange comment here IMO. The reason most people go to the two cities is because they are bigger, have more jobs, more people and are most probably more craic than living elsewhere.

What you're saying is like some Canadian emigrating to Ireland and telling other Canadians to stay well clear of Dublin and Cork. It's not going to happen.
    People should travel in Canada as much as possible, but as far as living goes, the cities are the place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

I aint gonna spend my time on a corn farm in alberta miles from anywhere.

Shalamov wrote: »
    People should travel in Canada as much as possible, but as far as living goes, the cities are the place to be.

Please tell me you're aware that there are other cities in Canada besides Toronto and Vancouver....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I'm living in Kingston Ontario and it's great!

I have a job, my boyfriend has a very good job and we have an amazing apartment! I found out this week that I'm getting extra hours at work for 3 months so we are moving to a bigger apartment in the same building mid July! Have made quite a few canadian friends and It's fun!

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    I'm living in Kingston Ontario and it's great!

I have a job, my boyfriend has a very good job and we have an amazing apartment! I found out this week that I'm getting extra hours at work for 3 months so we are moving to a bigger apartment in the same building mid July! Have made quite a few canadian friends and It's fun!

I spent a year in Kingston when I was doing my year in Canada! Sounds like you're doing it right - you can get a nice apartment in the regional cities for reasonable rent, whereas you wouldn't get a shoebox for the same price in Toronto. Nice to hear you're making the effort to get to know the locals too. Enjoy Canada!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The reason that the majority of Irish do not go to the regional cities in Canada is mainly due to employment, friends and lack of a young Irish community, but I would recommend that they do not go to any of them for another reason - they are dull as sh1te.
    Toronto and Montreal were the only cities I visited when I lived there that had any character that I returned to repeatedly and are the only ones that I would deem worth visiting again. London, Kitchener, Windsor, Hamilton, Kingston, Barrie may as well have all been the same town/city. From what I understand a lot of middle Canada (From ON to AL) is much the same: a mix of timmies, fast food franchises and craic vacuums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

retalivity wrote: »
    The reason that the majority of Irish do not go to the regional cities in Canada is mainly due to employment, friends and lack of a young Irish community, but I would recommend that they do not go to any of them for another reason - they are dull as sh1te.
    Toronto and Montreal were the only cities I visited when I lived there that had any character that I returned to repeatedly and are the only ones that I would deem worth visiting again. London, Kitchener, Windsor, Hamilton, Kingston, Barrie may as well have all been the same town/city. From what I understand a lot of middle Canada (From ON to AL) is much the same: a mix of timmies, fast food franchises and craic vacuums

Similar could be claimed about any provincial town in Ireland.
    I know where I'd rather be.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Exactly, if you heard of someone coming to Ireland for a two year working holiday you wouldn't be telling them to go to Roscommon or Sligo to live and work.

The OP seems to have a bee in his/her bonnet about this for some strange reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'll definitely travel around to smaller towns but I want to live in a city, that's the entire point of this endeavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ive enough of small town life in Ireland, Im going to Canada to live in Toronto, Like I will do weekend/week trips like I did in Australia, but Im going mostly for the city lifestyle

Don't get me wrong I definitely want to see more of Canada than Toronto, and if I can I'll travel by train a lot, I like the train and there's some stunning scenery to view, I just want to experience life in a city with more to do than pubs and the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

Please tell me you're aware that there are other cities in Canada besides Toronto and Vancouver....?

Uh oh. You got me

krudler wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I definitely want to see more of Canada than Toronto, and if I can I'll travel by train a lot, I like the train and there's some stunning scenery to view, I just want to experience life in a city with more to do than pubs and the cinema.
    Mr big city snob with his cinema :pac:

astonaidan wrote: »
    Mr big city snob with his cinema :pac:

Is it weird that I'm more excited about seeing the summer blockbusters in IMAX screens than anything else :pac: there's a ton of cinemas in Toronto, I wonder are Canadians as chatty in the cinema, sorry, theatre, as their Yank cousins.

krudler wrote: »
    Is it weird that I'm more excited about seeing the summer blockbusters in IMAX screens than anything else :pac: there's a ton of cinemas in Toronto, I wonder are Canadians as chatty in the cinema, sorry, theatre, as their Yank cousins.
    Yes, Yes it is, were going over for Wakeboarding in summer and Snow boarding in winter, oh IMAX screens, Im very excited for the last Hobbit movie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Canada is bigger than Ireland, England, Wales and Scotland COMBINED apparently. :eek:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 39 james182

The climate is better along the border with the US so most people live there unless they want to make loads of money up north. I've heard they pay $20 + per hour at Mcdonalds in Fort Mcmurray but it;s freaking cold place in the middle of nowhere

Advertisement