Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online maths courses

Options
  • 13-05-2014 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,

Before getting into grad school I've been told I have to bulk-up my quantitative abilities through a course of some description. Was recommended the Open University and this course in particular:
    Open University Essential Mathematics

Can anyone else recommend any online courses that offer solid maths/quants courses?
    Have already checked out EdX, Coursera, Semester Online and Open University. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

There some courses on coursera but they tend to be post grad types. Try youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rathbone

Thanks! Yeah you're right about Coursera. Haven't found many similar ones to the OU yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

rathbone wrote: »
    Hi all,

Before getting into grad school I've been told I have to bulk-up my quantitative abilities through a course of some description. Was recommended the Open University and this course in particular:
    Open University Essential Mathematics

Can anyone else recommend any online courses that offer solid maths/quants courses?
    Have already checked out EdX, Coursera, Semester Online and Open University. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi, I did the previous edition of this module, MST121 in my Cert HE Mathematics with the OU.
    It is just applied maths, no proofs or pure maths. It gives you good practice in calculus, vectors, functions and graphing them etc.
    It's not an introductory maths course, but it sounds as if you have a grounding in the subject anyway.

If you do go for it, get as many old exam papers as you can (MST121 papers too) as the question formats tend to repeat and the exam is a tough 3.5 hours if I remember correctly. Overall though, a good module.

Advertisement