Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia - which city????

Options
  • 13-05-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone :)

Ok so like everyone else myself and my boyfriend have decided to make the big move to Aus. Only problem is trying to make sure we pick the right city...hardest decision ever!

So what we're looking for is warm climate for most of the year...which is an essential :) I'm in thefashion industry so I would love to continue and hopefully advance my career in this industry. My boyfriend is in the music industry then with the same aspirations.

So basically looking for a fashion/musical cultured city that's warm...shouldn't be too hard right :/ I do have a degree in finance as a complete last resort if needs be...but hopefully won't come to that:)

So any suggestions or tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated...thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Warm climate for most of the year in Brisbane or Perth but they will have still have some cool days in winter. If you want warmth all year long Darwin or Cairns.
    However none of these places will be groundbreaking for music or fashion.
    You would have better career opportunity in Sydney or Melbourne & Sydney would have a slightly warmer winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

Sounds like Melbourne would be ideal, apart from the climate bit. Winters can be a bit cold. Sydney's winters are a bit milder than Melbourne's.

I think you are going have to choose between the best place for your careers/lifestyle and the climate. You may think you want it to be hot all year round, but after a few hot summers you may start to welcome a cool break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ccclef

Thanks a million for your suggestions and replies so quickly :) We were looking at sydney bit I guess we're a bit worried that the competition for jobs would bevsa lot less in Melbourne...Hard to decide really :/ How long does the cold last in Melborne? Thanks again for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

ccclef wrote: »
    Thanks a million for your suggestions and replies so quickly :) We were looking at sydney bit I guess we're a bit worried that the competition for jobs would bevsa lot less in Melbourne...Hard to decide really :/ How long does the cold last in Melborne? Thanks again for the advice :)

Generally cold from mid May until mid August, But we're having a 10 day warm spell at present 20c during day, so it's very nice from 10 until 4.30 & then it's cool. Last week there were a few cold mornings: 4.5c on the thermometer in my car. I have seen zero on it in July, daily highs would be around 10-12c, mind you it'll read 42 on summer days so there's quite a spread in temps.
    Weather can change rapidly here; a hot day can go from 40c to 18c in 35minutes. It's all to do with wind direction, either north from the hot centre or south from the Antarctic.
    Melbourne is known for it's four seasons in a day; it's part of the charm of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

What do you do in the fashion industry ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kyia

Melbourne. I am just back from Oz and lived in Melbourne for 7 months, loved it and would move back in the morning. It is cold in the winter and most houses arent designed for the cold. Summer though is lovely. Its the easiest city to get around, public transport is excellent. It is not easy to get a job so be prepared for this, send out loads and loads of cv's.

Did not like Sydney or Cairns one bit. The other city i would live in is Brisbane, warm and also easy to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Melbourne seems to fit what you're looking for.

The ideal suburbs would be Brunswick, Brunswick east, Collingwood or Fitzroy (cultural/trendy). I think most of the Irish gravitate towards St. Kilda which is a suburb beside the beach.

Best of luck with the move

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I've removed several OT posts, mostly involving personal sniping. Any more of that and (more) bans will be handed out.

Back on topic please, or the thread will be closed.

Advertisement