Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best free online DVD organizer?

Options
  • 14-05-2014 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

What is the best free online DVD organizer?

What is the best online movie catalogue to organize your collection?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

http://www.emdb.tk
    Use it myself and find it very easy to use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

XBMC will scrape your video collection and download the metadata (covers, info etc.) based on your file names. Fantastic bit of software, if I'm understanding your question correctly?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Hard to tell exactly what you're looking for, but http://trakt.tv is pretty good for tracking what movies you own, as well as marking ones to get

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

yoyo wrote: »
    XBMC will scrape your video collection and download the metadata (covers, info etc.) based on your file names. Fantastic bit of software, if I'm understanding your question correctly?

Nick

Highly recommenced XBMC, very easy to use and can be expanded with addon's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

What is XMBC? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Is there one with a corresponding app, something like Goodreads has for books, with a built-in barcode scanner to make it quick to add things to your collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

What is XMBC? thanks.

PVFEBjU.jpg?1

"XBMC is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub that can be installed on Linux, OSX, Windows, iOS, and Android, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet. Our forums and Wiki are bursting with knowledge and help for the new user right up to the application developer. We also have helpful Facebook, Google+, Reddit, Twitter and Youtube pages."

Vojera wrote: »
    Is there one with a corresponding app, something like Goodreads has for books, with a built-in barcode scanner to make it quick to add things to your collection?

Not exactly sure what your on about, for your video/movies it has a nice DVD Scraper that goes off and get DVD cover/Fanart and biographies for a movie, it the same for TV series as well

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Plex - It's based on XBMC but is a client / server setup. So you can watch your files on any device. The server transcodes your videos on the fly for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Thanks Lundar, got a link?

Is this limited to what Chromecast can do (only what i hear) as it will play/stream (or is that plex) video files from your pc?
    and Android, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls.

Is that only if you have the app on your phone you get that 10ft user interface on your telly, as i've been told & (what i tried to take in) my samsung galaxy ace has only 512MB & will not store that much apps let alone Google play store (probably a discussion elsewhere?)

Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thanks Lundar, got a link?

Is this limited to what Chromecast can do (only what i hear) as it will play/stream (or is that plex) video files from your pc?

Is that only if you have the app on your phone you get that 10ft user interface on your telly, as i've been told & (what i tried to take in) my samsung galaxy ace has only 512MB & will not store that much apps let alone Google play store (probably a discussion elsewhere?)

Thanks.

XBMC supports Samba so if you share folders with videos on your PC (the way I use it) over the network it will play them fine. It also supports uPNP if you'd prefer. I've had mixed results with uPNP. XBMC will support most of what Chromecast does (from what I gather) however an important point to note is that XBMC does not support Netflix and does not have a web browser plugin if these are important to you. I run XBMC on a Raspberry Pi and it works great :) .
    If you decide to use Plex instead your videos can stream to the Plex app on your device. A Galaxy Ace may not be able to cut it for streaming and playback of high quality video. With regards to buffering the better a network/wifi signal your device has the less likely buffering will be an issue for you as it will all be running on your local network.
    XBMC link here.

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement