Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to the border in a few days, what do I need?

Options
  • 14-05-2014 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Came to Toronto on the 2012 IEC, got it renewed for two years. Heading to the border Monday (Niagara Falls), just making a checklist.
    1. Passport
    2. Visa info (all attached to my passport, but I'm listing it separate)
    3. Insurance
    4. Proof of funding

Do I need anything else?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jackjonesduffy

if you can a letter from your employer saying that they are employing you,and old visa it will help,just did it recently there very tough

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

No letter from boss (they let me go because it took too long for my visa to come through), got all my old stuff ready to go. So I don't need anything else? Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Good luck. Going to CBSA at the border can be a nightmare. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

Loblox wrote: »
    No letter from boss (they let me go because it took too long for my visa to come through), got all my old stuff ready to go. So I don't need anything else? Great.

Are you on the young professionals Visa?

The working holiday you don't need any paperwork from an employer as you don't need a job going over there.

Been and back.

I got it. I'm a winner! Now back to the job search!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Been and back.

I got it. I'm a winner! Now back to the job search!

Was there any difficulty in getting it? I'll be heading to the Niagra Falls border myself in about a month.

bopper wrote: »
    Was there any difficulty in getting it? I'll be heading to the Niagra Falls border myself in about a month.

It's a little confusing just getting from place to place. You need to pay 50 cents toll to cross the bridge. Go to the State side of the bridge, talk to one of the guys there, they give you a note that you bring back and hand to the guys back on the Canadian side, then they give you a yellow card and send you across the road to an all-glass building. Talk to someone there and that's it, hopefully.

On the US side, the guy had the lowest voice, couldn't make out a word he was saying. The guy in the glass building got a bit sharp because he didn't believe me when I said I had a tourist visa. Handing the tourist visa to him quietened him down a bit.

I was a bit worried at one point. He told me to take a seat while he did whatever, then turned to the guy beside him and started shaking his head.

Was not asked for proof of funding, but had to show everything else.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

It's a little confusing just getting from place to place. You need to pay 50 cents toll to cross the bridge. Go to the State side of the bridge, talk to one of the guys there, they give you a note that you bring back and hand to the guys back on the Canadian side, then they give you a yellow card and send you across the road to an all-glass building. Talk to someone there and that's it, hopefully.

On the US side, the guy had the lowest voice, couldn't make out a word he was saying. The guy in the glass building got a bit sharp because he didn't believe me when I said I had a tourist visa. Handing the tourist visa to him quietened him down a bit.

I was a bit worried at one point. He told me to take a seat while he did whatever, then turned to the guy beside him and started shaking his head.

Was not asked for proof of funding, but had to show everything else.

Best of luck with it.

Cool thanks. I'll still have a few days left on my current WHV when I go so I shouldn't have the same issue with needing a tourist visa.

How long did the whole process take? From the arriving at the US side of the bridge to getting the actual visa?

bopper wrote: »
    How long did the whole process take? From the arriving at the US side of the bridge to getting the actual visa?

Honestly, I spent more time crossing the bridge than anything else. Right when I left the American side, a huge line of people had lined up just after me, I was lucky to skip that. Actually talking to the guys was straightforward enough, just have the papers in your hand and ready to go.

Advertisement