Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo trip to Dublin in June from US... Looking for buddies, tour guides, advice, etc.

Options
  • 14-05-2014 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

On an impulse I just bought plane tickets to Dublin for a whirlwind 4-day trip at the end of June to celebrate my birthday. Unfortunately (and embarrasingly), I know very little about Dublin. I like beer, history, anything that oozes creativity, chaos, urban life, the outdoors, and am always up for an adventure and/or rebel rousing. What I need is a tour guide. Someone from Dublin, or at least familiar enough, to show me around. Take me to some cool places, take me to some crazy places, I don’t even care, just show me what Dublin has to offer.

A little bit about myself. I’m a 23 year old troublemaker from the United States. I work in the healthcare industry, and am musically-inclined. I'm a fountain of crazy stories and silly jokes. PM me if you’re interested or have any tips to point me in the right direction!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Wish i could show you around but i live currently in Thailand .As a native Dubliner i can assure you of many bars with live Music .One of my favorites is called ''the Cobble stone '' by Smithfield market (Irish Traditional music).Other good places ,''the Brazen head '' .
    For fresh air and long walks try the Phoenix park .Closer to and within the City Stephens Green park is a wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Check out the gigs at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham around that time as well. Excellent place to meet people if you share musical taste. Would offer to meet but I'm an oul wan and be at Glastonbury. Have a good one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Shels are playing Wexford on Friday 27th of June at 8pm. Please feel free to come to Tolka Park :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Go on a tourist pub crawl. Guides bring you around all the different pubs. It's good craic and there is loads of them and you meet loads of people. They will bring you around Temple Bar where there will be live Irish Music etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Go on a tourist pub crawl. Guides bring you around all the different pubs. It's good craic and there is loads of them and you meet loads of people. They will bring you around Temple Bar where there will be live Irish Music etc.

A true Dubliner avoids Temple Bar. I have gone to it twice in 3 years and always find it appalling. OP maybe go to a hostel like Generator in Smithfield and you will find tons of young people. Club nights are lost society wednesday and Tuesday. They are "alternative" aka hipster whatever. But its what the real Dublin club scene is. Monday is Workmans. Thursday is usually D2(But its very young). Most clubs will be fairly empty since most students have gone home to the country and a lot of Dublin students go abroad for the Summer.

PM if you have any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Plenty of pubs and clubs for whatever scene you're into. 4 days should be enough time to see most of what Dublin has in terms of tourist stuff and there's always stuff to do a bit off the beaten track too. Send us a PM if you want recommendations.

And as has been said above, Temple Bar is generally to be avoided. Might be alright for a stroll, maybe lunch and a pint but it's a really overpriced, touristy area to drink on a night out (with the exception of 1 or 2 places).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Temple Bar is very meh. Pop into the lovely old Stag's Head off Dame St. Less than 5 minutes away from the TB silliness and much more real Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I've found meetup.com to be really good for meeting people while travelling solo.

Also there's lots of really good walking tours around Dublin:
    http://lecoolwalkdublin.tumblr.com/
    http://www.walkingtours.ie/
    http://frenchfoodieindublin.blogspot.ie/p/book-tour.html

Advertisement