Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with rescued dog

• 14-05-2014 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

We have taken in a starved staffy and I think we will have her for 3 months (long story). I brought her to the vet yesterday and she is approx 5kg underweight so we are doing our best now to help her get a bit of weight on. She is an amazingly happy dog for one who hasn't been properly feed for a few months.

We have her a few days now and whe initially she was friendly with our two dogs she has startin to bully them. I have been feeding them seperately but the staffy has started to guard her bowl and her bed. She body blocks them into corners and shooves them out of the way when they are getting attention. They are much smaller then her, Bert usually loves dogs but he is scared of her.

They are kept in seperate rooms with supervised time together. Our two sleep in our room while new dog sleeps in a really comfy bed in the kitchen (there is no more room in our bedroom!). While I know taking this dog in was the right thing to do I'm worried now that she might hurt one of mine. I want to stop the bad habits asap before they become an issue but I don't know how.

My sister is up for a few days to supervise them during the day while we are at work. My OH's niece can help out too. We have a dog walker for our two so they get out and about during the day when we are not here, I don't think taking the staffy out for a walk is a good idea atm. I need to get a muzzle anyways.

I guess I'm looking for help stopping the staffy resource guarding and bullying my two. She is an adorable dog apart from these things.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

sorry I cant offer any advise on how to best manage this situation others on here will be a lot better equipped to do that

just wanted to say good on you for offering the little pet a chance to start again I suppose its really not surprising that she is resource guarding when she was so underfed and mistreated for so long a neighbour and good friend has 2 staffies and they are fab little dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

Ach I know, I understand it but my two are afraid to go downstairs now so I'm beginning to feel out of my depth here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'd say he is expressing dominance, when he first came in he wasn't full strenght but now he is, he wants top spot in the family...

try here for a list of traits and see if it matches: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/dominatebehaviorsdogs.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

jameshayes wrote: »
    I'd say he is expressing dominance, when he first came in he wasn't full strenght but now he is, he wants top spot in the family...

try here for a list of traits and see if it matches: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/dominatebehaviorsdogs.htm
    OP please ignore this post and link; the theories it spouts about dominance and Alpha dog behavior has scientifically been disproved for over a decade by now but like any old myths it never dies.

Now what your dog is doing is obviously resource guarding and the likely reason for this is exactly because it was mistreated previously. It got trained that there was not enough food/attention so what ever it got it needed to guard and keep to itself and it's continuing the behavior from that time period. You really need to take steps to change this and it's not going to be an over night change either but take time and step by step.

The best bet is a qualified dog behaviorist who'll come home to you to see the interactions directly and give you a step by step guide on how to approach it. Please note anyone can call themselves a dog behaviorist without any training (see a certain american show host...) so if you post where you live there are multiple people who can recommend suitable behaviorists in your general area who know what they are doing and have proper qualifications rather then "I read a book once and I like dogs".

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

We got a rescue jack russel last year, he was the opossite of yours, a total nervebag and the first night hid under the couch all the evening, and even for weeks + months would go running crying at the sight of basic things like bags, shoes, sticks, hoovers or even dropping something like the tv remote on the floor.

With the food aggression its most likely that its because he's gone without and thinks he has to protect every last bite because to him he doesn't know how long this food source will last. Keep feeding them separately and start with basic obedience (sitting before giving the food bowl etc)
    Praise him when he's around the other to (only when behaving positively or ignoring them)

I would get the muzzle straight away and start walking your dog straight away, even with your other dogs as it will build a pack/family atmosphere/momentum (phrasing this wrong i know).
    Walking will also help him get relax and tire him out.

I would suggest finding a trainer because with staffys, (and any other breeds) you want to make sure any bad habits/behaviors are sopped straight away. Perhaps keep a lead on him in the house and if he growls when the other two come close simply move him (not if he's super aggressive though). #
    Make sure he has somewhere he can go that is "his" space and somewhere he can feel safe... even a crate.. I don't like them for normal use or use them myself but in these situations they can be a help. Cover with a blanket and it'll be nice and cosey for him.

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote: »

I don't buy into the dominance theory. I think she just wants ALL the love now she's gotten some food and attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I usually find it takes about 2 weeks for a dog to feel safe enough to allow their true personality to come through. Is she resource guarding from humans as well, or just your own dogs?

Well done for taking her in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Funny I've heard of a few rescued Staffies acting like this while they try to find their feet.

My own boy is pushy when he wants attention and it took a little while to teach him to be patient when he wants something.

I hope you get it sorted.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Is she resource guarding from humans as well, or just your own dogs

She's a cuddle monster with us but is over at the fridge when it's opened and begs during dinner (which we ignore).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Well done for taking her in.
    Hopefully this is just a transition period, and she will soon settle down with your dogs, and life will be good for all.
    Its a nice sign that she is a 'cuddle monster' with you guys.
    WIsh you the very best of luck getting her sorted with the resident dogs - fingers crossed, let us know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I got a rescued Staffy direct off the streets as a stray [who's got evidence of being used for dog fighting, with the scarring on her back leg, and potentially bred from], and she's a real push over - my Jack Russell Fox Terrier mix has better authority over her when it comes to food, and she always gives me that "look" for help >_<;

Just be mindful of the morons out there considering Staffies as your 'typical' pit bull that the media has done an awesome job of demonizing... I've once had a neighbour that threatened to smash her head with a hammer when he saw her going about her business in the front garden.

She snaps at the other dogs now too. Think we'll have to get a behaviourist in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Taking in another dog is going to upset the apple cart for a while - I think you're are going to have to persevere with getting the three to get along - keeping them seperate will only ever be a short term thing and if the staffy is resource gaurding the seperation may make her more keen to gaurd her space.

I have a resource gaurder in my case it's one who was resident scrapping with rescue pup - thankfully now rows are rare and pup idolises her but her toys are her toys (she'll occasionally let him play with them) anything resembling food that is left on the ground allows belongs to her and pup knows now never to approach her whilst she's eating! ( he gives a wide berth)

Walking together and outside play together helps them get on in the main but one tip that helped was to collar and lead my girl indoors for the first few weeks so that we could control her if a situation arose - a short light lead that wouldn't snag on anything - it's akin to what you'd do on a walk if another dog approached a little tweak on the lead so she knows not to rush in etc. Allow them to sniff each other etc.

Imagine that starved staffy now finding she has access to loads of food, if I was her I'd be gaurding it too!!

These are habits and they all need to trust each other - and know each others boundaries - if they're always kept apart they may never learn these things.

Scraps will happen it's just being there to stop them and making sure noone gets hurt that's important. Making sure all dogs know it's not acceptable - sometimes its not the resource gaurder who wants the fight.

Well done you for giving this dog a home, it's hardwork having three different personalities vying for attention I know! A good behaviourist would help too especially if you feel one or more of your dogs are being badly, longterm affected by the new arrival.

Advertisement