Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your worst experience of buying/selling a Boat?

• 14-05-2014 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

This thread is inspired from a similar thread over on Motor’s. What was your worst experience selling or buying a boat?
    I have had some doozies over the years and have decided never to sell a boat ever again on any internet sites. I have had everything from the usual Time wasters, Boating dreamers, Dopes etc……
    My favourite was this particular fool from Wales who was interested in buying my 17 foot pocket cruiser. 2 berth, drop keel, trailer sailor type deal. All clearly outlined in the add along with numerous photo’s.

Me: “Hello”
    Dope: “Hi, Is your boat still for sale?”
    Me: “Sure is, is there anything you would like to know about it?”
    Dope: “Yah, how many will she sleep?”
    Me: “Well as the add says, 2”.
    Dope: “Oh Right, I was kind of looking for something bigger.”
    Me: “OK”
    Dope: “Have I ever sailed long distances in her?”
    Me: “How long is long?
    Dope: “Over to France/Spain and that”
    Me: “You do know she is 17 feet long, sleeps 2 and has no toilet, no cooker and comes with a 4hp outboard motor?”
    Dope: “Yah”
    Me: “Goodbye”

This particular boat caused me a lot of pain, apart from numerous phone calls from timewasters, I had to physically show the boat to a half a dozen people who clearly did not know what they were coming to see. Eventually sold to a lovely guy from Cornwall who I met in Rosslare off the ferry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

tried to buy a 24 foot pure racing yacht from a friend of friend 2 years ago. He had bought the boat to do it up and had gotten so far as to remove all the gear off it then left it idle for 4 years. My mate took me up showed me the boat sails mast kit etc and we talked about the pros and cons of putting it all back together over the winter and giving it a paint job. Worked out costs which were reasonable. Made an offer €1500 through my mate who came back few days later to say he was looking for 5k. Both of us agreed this fella was taking the piss so offered 2k for the boat and 500 quid to let me keep on his land over the winter with access to electricity. My mate came back a few days later to say he wasnt selling it he was going to get started on the work and put the boat back together. That was June 2012. Apparently the boat is still in exactly the same place & state as it was the day I viewed it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

All my boat sales and buys have been plain sailing :rolleyes: I have been there done that and bought the T-shirt.

10341517_614993641927168_3902036000317920417_n_zpsf083f127.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

fergal.b wrote: »
    All my boat sales and buys have been plain sailing :rolleyes: I have been there done that and bought the T-shirt.

10341517_614993641927168_3902036000317920417_n_zpsf083f127.jpg

was a free boat going for sale in howth yacht club 2 years ago. 27 foot ufo sailboat.

the boat hadnt been used in years, had so much growth on it under the waterline, moss on the halyards and decks and the biggest issue... serious osmosis. So free boat yes but a money pit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

murphym7 wrote: »
    My favourite was this particular fool from Wales who was interested in buying my 17 foot pocket cruiser. 2 berth, drop keel, trailer sailor type deal. All clearly outlined in the add along with numerous photo’s.....Eventually sold to a lovely guy from Cornwall who I met in Rosslare off the ferry.

I only once sold a boat via the web (Apolloduck) and apart from a couple of scammer attempts, what you describe above is a replica of an experience I had with a guy in Germany. I advertised her (essentially a day sailer) for sale at €3,500 in March. One of the first responses was :-

Dear Seller,
    Hope to find some 2 or 3 offers of craft for sale, to inspect during a holiday week in the UK. I would like to purchase in spring or early in summer, when the boat is still ashore.

I will have to clarify tax issues as well as the question whether I am allowed to operate a british trailer on German roads, too. Is your trailer equipped with any number plate and corresponding paperwork? It would help me a lot if you could scan the trailer's paper and mail it to me in order to get release from German authorities.

For now, there is only one question left: WHY do you sell such a nice
    boat? Please let me know. - I am a single-handed sailor, owner of a french EDEL IV 6,5m Sloop.

Thank you in advance for your efforts!
    Viele Grüße / best regards,

I then emailed a reply saying that was in the SW of Ireland and it would not be an economic purchase due to transport costs. In reply I got

>you are right, this is not a good idea. But I might SAIL her to the UK >coast, and put her on a car trailer for instance. I hope she is well equipped for this>kind of crossing? It is only a 30 mile trip. What is your opinion?> I will have a look whether there are low budget flights to Belfast. I >have not>been to the green island for many years, perhaps this is a chance to >visit >Belfast, too.> Have you any paperwork which describes your boat, which I might show to >the insurance company in order to get it insured?> Best regards,

I was polite for another two responses before I blocked him. I had a few good contacts with others, but ended up selling her to a guy living less than 15 miles from me who wanted to take up sailing. I still see her around. (but not maintained as nicely!)

Advertisement