Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a lowerm age limit on match charges for kids

• 14-05-2014 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

I have to say I think the GAA are shooting themselves in the foot by charging for Juveniles to go to county games. Sure some will say it's only €5, but the people who say that probably only have 1 or maybe 2 children, if you have 4 or 5 it all adds up. I know for a fact there are families not going to these games because of this. A

nyway rant over. Does anyone know if there's a lower limit on the age of kids you have to pay for, for example will I be expacted to pay for my 4 year old in addition to my other 4 kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

AdrianR wrote: »
    I have to say I think the GAA are shooting themselves in the foot by charging for Juveniles to go to county games. Sure some will say it's only €5, but the people who say that probably only have 1 or maybe 2 children, if you have 4 or 5 it all adds up. I know for a fact there are families not going to these games because of this. A

nyway rant over. Does anyone know if there's a lower limit on the age of kids you have to pay for, for example will I be expacted to pay for my 4 year old in addition to my other 4 kids?

Don't think there's a lower age limit. Surprised at bringing a 4 yo to a match. They'd hardly have the attention span or nous to follow a game would they? You hardly bring 5 kids on your own. :eek: How do you manage to keep an eye them especially leaving the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Surprised at bringing a 4 yo to a match

Because my wife will be going as well!

Don't know where you are but down this direction the championship used to be a family day out. Things have obviously changed over the last few years now that the GAA are charging for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Do most venues not allow u-14s in free?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Don't know where you are but down this direction the championship used to be a family day out. Things have obviously changed over the last few years now that the GAA are charging for kids.

Spose it helps when the missus travels also. My point was that bringing a 4 yo is more hassle than it's worth. Can't follow the game, wants to go the shop, wants to go the toilet (more than once) etc. If there's nobody at home to mind them you're caught. BTW where i am is listed in my profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for me it was myself and dad going to the game and my mother and sister stayed at home.
    Most others I know would have done similar to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I have to say I think the GAA are shooting themselves in the foot by charging for Juveniles to go to county games. Sure some will say it's only €5, but the people who say that probably only have 1 or maybe 2 children, if you have 4 or 5 it all adds up. I know for a fact there are families not going to these games because of this. Anyway rant over. Does anyone know if there's a lower limit on the age of kids you have to pay for, for example will I be expected to pay for my 4 year old in addition to my other 4 kids?
    There is a age limit(fairly sure) but its younger than 4 years old(maybe 1/2 year olds) who do get in free. It does add up but that's your choice to take them all to games.
    citykat wrote: »
    Don't think there's a lower age limit. Surprised at bringing a 4 yo to a match. They'd hardly have the attention span or nous to follow a game would they? You hardly bring 5 kids on your own. :eek: How do you manage to keep an eye them especially leaving the stadium.
    They wont be following game but there's plenty older than 4yo who go to games and hardly follow the games that go on....

Championship/League games are still family day outs but GAA would be mad not to charge for kids. They still have to make an income especially when tickets that go to kids for free could go to adults/older kids who would be paying full price...
    Do most venues not allow u-14s in free?
    no. which do?

just for reference and comparison, the Aviva friendly (aka, family day out) match between Shamrock rovers and Liverpool B team was from €15 for kids/ €20 for adults.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2014/0326/604692-shamrock-rovers-to-play-liverpool-at-aviva/
    46,000 turned up, with a lot of kids there if the pictures and peoples facebook pages are to be believed

And the GAA has childrens tickets for up to and including the all ireland semi-finals for a fiver.

I know theres a multiplier effect if you have 5 or 8 or 12 kids or whatever, but at that stage I amnt sure what an organisation is supposed to do.
    If you only charged the first few kids and let the rest free then you'd have the whole estate claiming to be the same family and getting in on the one ticket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

€5 for a child ticket in a stand which costs €25/30/35/40 for an adult is great value in my eyes. For the first 2 rounds of the Munster football championship last year, 2 of my kids that came with me got in for free. For the Munster final I had to pay €5 for one and €10 for the other. Again €5 for the quarter and semi final. My eldest lad went to 5 championship games for €20 and got into the 4 or 5 league games he went to for free.

Are child tickets for one direction €5 next week?

BPKS wrote: »
    €5 for a child ticket in a stand which costs €25/30/35/40 for an adult is great value in my eyes. For the first 2 rounds of the Munster football championship last year, 2 of my kids that came with me got in for free. For the Munster final I had to pay €5 for one and €10 for the other. Again €5 for the quarter and semi final. My eldest lad went to 5 championship games for €20 and got into the 4 or 5 league games he went to for free.

Are child tickets for one direction €5 next week?
    nope....
    from Ticketmaster press release : "Tickets are priced from €59.50" including booking fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

3 euro for Under 16's into Westmeath V Louth this evening.
    I am bringing my lad (14 ) , cant grumble at that price at all .
    Brought him to a league of Ireland soccer match last week, he got charged 10 euro admission and 15 euro for me.
    It was pathetic entertainment for 25 euro in total.
    13 euro tonight for me and him into the first round of the championship, fantastic value in my opinion.
    When it comes to the ticket prices for kids into GAA matches , I cannot fault them at all. They deserve credit for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

all games should be free to enter, and should be on free view TV too. and the AI final should only be allowed be given to fans who go to all the games, and it should be half the cost at least, if not free too. They are amateur players dont you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Do your kids go free to concerts, the cinema, to McDonalds?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

I think for league games under 16s got free entry. 5 euro great value for championship games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

bruschi wrote: »
    all games should be free to enter, and should be on free view TV too. and the AI final should only be allowed be given to fans who go to all the games, and it should be half the cost at least, if not free too. They are amateur players dont you know.

If you want to play that "amateur" card then the game could not progress beyond the parish field.

What exactly do you think pays for grounds, equipment etc ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

If you want to play that "amateur" card then the game could not progress beyond the parish field.

What exactly do you think pays for grounds, equipment etc ?

Have an aul read of that again there and see if you spot the sarcasm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

bruschi wrote: »
    Have an aul read of that again there and see if you spot the sarcasm...

Oops,
    With some of the clowns around here since the Sky deal and all its hard to tell sometimes

Advertisement