Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ride on mower versus robot mower

• 14-05-2014 9:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    We've a 2500 sq ft lawn with one short but steepish slope. At the end of tether now with the push mower, takes about 4 hours to cut it and time is scarce and getting scarcer.
    I've trialled a robot mower but am told that given the size of lawn and the slopes that the best value would be a spend of €4000.
    A ride on will work but up to now I've not had a place to keep it secured.
    On here hoping to get advice on both or recommend the pros & cons.
    Robot seems the best for labour saving & running cost is low but investment is high.
    The ride on would be lower outlay I think but running costs be higher? Believe so. Obviously it'll take time but hardly 4 hours!
    From safety point of view the robot seems risky with very young kids around during summer

What ye reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have had a ride-on for for nearly 10 years now and am planning on getting a robot this year.
    However, my lawn is flat, smaller than yours and has no trees or obstacles in it (except one large bed).

From my research:

Robot Pros:
    - Time Saving
    - Quiet
    - Cheaper than a ride-on (in my case anyway)
    - Cheaper to run and maintain (estimated to replace the battery every 3rd season, approx €250 - Annual running cost is less than one jerrycan of petrol)
    - Requires very little winter storage space

Robot Cons:
    - Perimeter wire has to be installed
    - Higher possibility of being robbed
    - Will struggle if there is a prolonged spell of wet weather during the growing season

Ride-On Pros:
    - Will still cut the lawn if there is heavy growth during wet weather
    - Can do more than cut lawns (tow a scarifier, tow a trailer, tow a driveway sweeper)

Ride-On Cons:
    - Takes time to cut lawns
    - More expensive investment
    - More expensive to run and maintain
    - Uses a lot of space when not in use (i.e. all the time it isn't actually cutting lawns)

I'm sure there are a few more in each category above, but thats the main ones.

As it happens, I am keeping my ride on (mainly to do other work in the garden) so that makes the decision to purchase a robot easier.

I suppose I would summarise by saying, the robot is a good option, but only if you have the backup of a push/ride-on mower.

Advertisement