Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most remote mountains in Ireland

Options
  • 14-05-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

What is the most remote mountain you have walked in Ireland ? Share a photo if you have it also.Im looking to do an overnight on the hills somewhere and it would be nice to get that feeling of being truly miles away from it all.Iv done overnights in Wicklow and the Mournes ,they are suprisingly alot of people out even midweek on the peaks .

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,249 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

As far as I know, the most remote mountain is Nephin Beag in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My own experiences in Wicklow is that midweek, if you stay outside the 'headline' areas like Glendalough, Lug and Djouce, you won't see a soul. Even on Saturdays there are times when I can walk for 6-7 hours and not see anybody if I stick to the lesser known areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Most remote is probably An Tiaracht, although it also falls under the heading of "virtually impossible to gain access to". :)

From entries on Mountainviews, I agree with the above posters who nominated Neiphin on land, and then the island of Tiaracht.

Based in South Kerry and would nominate the eastern end of the Cahas and the middle of the Dunkerrons as the remotest I ramble around. Both are raised areas with very difficult terrain and are hard to cross in bad visibility, and difficult to access in the first place. But fantastic if you want to get away from it all.

The area in the Cahas is that between Glenkeel, Knockeirky and Glenlough/Barley Lake. In the Dunkerrons, the area around Coomcathcun, Coomnahorna and An Bhinn Lair. Just wild places where you won't see anyone. But I wouldn't send some novice tripping up either, some serious cliffs for those who wander away, navigation skills absolutely essential etc. etc.

Advertisement