Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial Ombudsman

Options
  • 14-05-2014 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the Replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yes it appears to say that you lost, assuming you made the complaint to the Ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

ciarano wrote: »
    Hi,

Need some advice please

Long saga with a bank going back 7 years ago over an old loan now and i complained to ombudsman

Ombudsman final Letter arrived yesterday

"Above complaint is now concluded" Decision the complaint is not upheld :eek:

Only decision left Appeal to High Court within 21 calender days,

My question is does "complaint is not upheld" mean i lost.?

Is that the only option i have left to appeal to high court? as i really feel my case was not looked in to properly especially when i was in Hardship and ill health and only worked a year in the last 7 years am now unemployed again.

The Decision is very much one sided,and a 7 year old debt is remaining on my Credit file as "on hold" indefinitely they wont write off and still want to pursue me.

I have supplied statement of means went to MABS did everything asked,

FSO are there to deal with complaints which are unresolved. Your complaint is that you cannot pay basically by the way it reads. This is not a valid complaint as such. If you cant pay then the bank have recourse available through the courts. They are entitled to go through this process if they wish no matter what your personal circumstances are in fairness.

The banks will often win but unless they have broken banking regulations or laws the FSO is not there to make them write off debt if a person is unable to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭ciarano

Thanks for the reply yes that now makes better sense i appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Were MABS aware that you were taking this recourse? Your debt may have been resolved if you had followed the MABS process of negotiating with your creditor.

Unless you want credit then you're not hindered in any way by your ICB report.

• Advertisement

Thanks Muraph
    Thats a big relief as i am actively pursuing a job both here and abroad and have now the qualifications to work in the Finance sector

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

murphaph wrote: »
    Unless you want credit then you're not hindered in any way by your ICB report.
    Thanks Muraph
    Thats a big relief as i am actively pursuing a job both here and abroad and have now the qualifications to work in the Finance sector

A lot of financial services organisations do carry out a credit check and it can influence whether or not you are hired.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I havent applied for credit lived clean and paid all my bills in the last 7 years problem is Credit reports shows a "Suspended State" to a loan going back nearly 9 years and will probably stay on record indefinitely was hoping after x amount of years some action would be decided.

I thought they only kept records for five years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Have you paid back the debt? Would that clear it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

For the record it was a bad time in my life things went wrong im not shirking my responsibility with interest and everything it spiraled out of control
    I was hoping to move on in my life after nearly 8 years and i did everything by the book reporting my debt etc.
    Thanks for all the Replies folks

I don't see how you could win this case. You have an outstanding loan and no agreement with the bank to write it off. It will remain on your credit report until you resolve the issue.

Have your finances improved? Write to the bankasking them if you can come to a one off lump sum payment to resolve the issue

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply

No i am unable to repay as i am unemployed again.

I will just have to accept and move on

Mods please close Thread thanks to all for response

Stheno wrote: »
    A lot of financial services organisations do carry out a credit check and it can influence whether or not you are hired.
    Is that allowed under data protection? When you apply for a loan you give written consent for the lender to check your ICB report. You don't give this consent as a matter of course when applying for jobs in finance, do you?

I'm not doubting you, but it sounds suspect.

I have seen financial institutions as part of the recruitment process seeking Credit background checks

murphaph wrote: »
    Is that allowed under data protection? When you apply for a loan you give written consent for the lender to check your ICB report. You don't give this consent as a matter of course when applying for jobs in finance, do you?

I'm not doubting you, but it sounds suspect.

Yes, you will be asked to give consent for them to carry out the check, it's not normally done until the references stage post interview.

I've had it a few times.

However I did see one application form recently for a role, and dependant upon grade they did garda clearance/work background and credit checks, and it was required that you gave consent while filling out the form

I found that a little intrusive

And it wasn't financial services either

Advertisement