Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Deposit, Orlando Villa

Options
  • 14-05-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello folks, stayed in a villa in orlando recently. Upon return home received an email stating we damaged the house & left the house in a state that required additional cleaning. Therefore we would not receive our security deposit back.

We didn't do the damage the home owners are saying & we don't think we created any further cleaning requirements that warrant us loosing our security deposit.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? Any opinions welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Did you take photos of the house when you moved out?
    Do they have photos of the alleged damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Who did you use to book the villa? Did you book it directly with the owners, or through a booking agency? Did someone check you in upon arrival, give you the keys etc etc. Did you see anyone or talk to anyone when you left?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TommyTown

Hi silja & prouddub,

We didn't take any photos upon leaving as we hadn't done any damage or left the house in a state, I know stupid & the home owners haven't been forthcoming with photos, I haven't asked them for photos as yet.

Nobody checked us in or out, you had your own key code for entry upon arrival. We booked directly with the irish owners. They called us on the second morning to see if everything was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sounds like its going to be your word against theirs. How did you find the villa? Did you find them on the internet? Is there a third party website that you could threaten to report shady dealings to?

Did you pay the deposit with a credit card? If you did, I'd be putting in a dispute with them for the deposit amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

ProudDub is right. If you can't report them to someone your only chance is to cancel the payment. Did you take any family shots inside the villa by any chance? They might show some of the areas you, 'supposedly' ,damaged . Be some proof that they are trying it on.

• Advertisement

Transferred the money directly to their account, not through credit card. You're right prouddub, it is our word against theirs. It is so frustrating when we know we didn't do the damage. We found them on the internet, they have their own site. I could go onto tripadvisor but I wanted to hear if anyone else had similar experiences of this.

The house was lovely, we didn't use the oven, hob or microwave. We stripped the beds, put on the washer, dryer & dishwasher, empied all the bins & prepared the recycling on leaving as requested & certainly didn't do any damage.

Thank you saucyleopard, not a photo of the inside of the house! We were hardly in the house, out & about everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

TommyTown wrote: »
    Transferred the money directly to their account, not through credit card. You're right prouddub, it is our word against theirs. It is so frustrating when we know we didn't do the damage. We found them on the internet, they have their own site. I could go onto tripadvisor but I wanted to hear if anyone else had similar experiences of this.

Eugh. Disgusting.

I would certainly go on TripAdvisor and make a full report. I mean there's no other way to warn other people right? And the chances are that they're doing this to everyone.

You could also contact the "Better Business Bureau" in the town where the rental was located and make a complaint.

Even if you dont get any satisfaction its really good to make these kind of occurrences known because if everyone keeps quiet this will just keep happening.

I agree inthetrees, I always check tripadvisor before I book something & always like to see a good mix of reviews. I have told them we didn't do any damage & there was emails to & fro, now we have just been dismissed like bold children. Is it the management company?? Is it the homeowners?? I think it will be a case of suck it up & learn not to be so trusting.

Advertisement