Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Med Student Looking for Advice

Options
  • 14-05-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm currently a second year undergrad medical student in Ireland. I barely passed first year last year, some modules I got 2H and others just passed (>50%) so it averaged at 58% and having finished my summer exams this year I feel I will have a similar overall result if not slightly worse. I also feel there is a good chance that I'll have to repeat an exam in August.
    Basically what I am wondering is how significant first and second year results are when you do ultimately graduate and are looking for internship positions, etc. I know my final year result is the only result that counts towards my final degree but are the other results relevant or is it sufficient just to pass? I hope and expect that I will do better next year as there were a number of issues healthwise that I feel negatively affected my grades but even so I don't think I would've gotten much higher than a 2H anyway. I'm sorry for the long winded nature of this post, if anyone could offer any insight it would be much appreciated. I'm feeling a bit disheartened with the whole situation but am hoping it won't be too significant in the long run.
    Thanks in advance,
    bluesky94

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

They'll appear on your transcript but they won't be used to determine which jobs you'll get in the intern scheme. So say employers down the road will see that you were only just getting by in 1st and 2nd year, but I highly doubt that'll be an issue for them. Even if you never pull your grades up significantly, getting a pass from medical school is a significant achievement and is significantly difficult to do, and you'll be a fine and employable doctor regardless of which or how many honours grades you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It is a complete non-issue, don't worry about it! Get a good honours degree and you're set.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Your rank in your class in final year (centile ranking) is the only thing that currently counts towards your intern position in Ireland.
    If you plan on applying to the UK for Foundation Year then your decile rank for all years prior to final year counts.
    Once you are applying for positions after that, yes you'll have to list your transcript, but you also get assessed on research, publications, prizes, references, experience, etc., so it will be assessed, but not a huge factor.
    Remember that pretty much only the Health Sciences have pass marks of 50%, most other courses have pass marks of 40%. So getting an average of 58% is quite good. Most people feel fairly crap after exams anyway, after catching up on sleep hopefully you'll feel a bit more positive.
    Best of luck with results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bluesky94

Thanks for the replies everyone, feeling a lot better about the whole situation.
    And sleep is definitely a good call :)

Advertisement