Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATHY NEWBIE HELP

Options
  • 14-05-2014 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    Doing my first triathlon in Athy at the end of the month. Looking forward to it. Lots of questions, but the three main ones from a total beginner are:
    1. Shorty or full length? I have both, but the full-length is a bugger to get out of at the best of times. The shorty would be a lot handier. But how cold is the Barrow in May? I don't see a lot of shorties in the picture galleries...
    2. Assume the race is chip-timed, but where does the chip go? Around the ankle? If so, does it come with a strap or is this one of the cunning devices all seasoned triathletes have in their kit bags? I've done a few marathons, so lacing the chip into the shoes is grand, but not an option for a swim, I guess!
    3. The bib number. Again, this is normally pinned to your top for a run but under a wetsuit, this would be a different proposition. And I guess some folks have expensive tri-suits as well, so don't like sticking pins through it. IS there yet another strap for this? Do I need to get one?
    Personally, I'm sponsored by Aldi and Lidl. Well, when I say sponsored, I mean I bought the tri-suit in Aldi for 20 quid, and the shorty was a bargain for about 15 in Lidl. And the bike is borrowed (but a good one). I plan on putting socks and running shoes on in T1, and using the old-school toe-clips on the bike. No doubt when I've done a few dozen races, I'll feel the urge to sell a small child into slavery and get all the gear (apologies to my wife if you're reading this... I really loved that child...)
    All the other pearls of wisdom I'll earn along the way.
    Any help gratefully received. See some of you down there, I guess. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Hi,
    Doing my first triathlon in Athy at the end of the month. Looking forward to it. Lots of questions, but the three main ones from a total beginner are:
    1. Shorty or full length? I have both, but the full-length is a bugger to get out of at the best of times. The shorty would be a lot handier. But how cold is the Barrow in May? I don't see a lot of shorties in the picture galleries...
    2. Assume the race is chip-timed, but where does the chip go? Around the ankle? If so, does it come with a strap or is this one of the cunning devices all seasoned triathletes have in their kit bags? I've done a few marathons, so lacing the chip into the shoes is grand, but not an option for a swim, I guess!
    3. The bib number. Again, this is normally pinned to your top for a run but under a wetsuit, this would be a different proposition. And I guess some folks have expensive tri-suits as well, so don't like sticking pins through it. IS there yet another strap for this? Do I need to get one?
    Personally, I'm sponsored by Aldi and Lidl. Well, when I say sponsored, I mean I bought the tri-suit in Aldi for 20 quid, and the shorty was a bargain for about 15 in Lidl. And the bike is borrowed (but a good one). I plan on putting socks and running shoes on in T1, and using the old-school toe-clips on the bike. No doubt when I've done a few dozen races, I'll feel the urge to sell a small child into slavery and get all the gear (apologies to my wife if you're reading this... I really loved that child...)
    All the other pearls of wisdom I'll earn along the way.
    Any help gratefully received. See some of you down there, I guess. Cheers.

1. personal preference. both have positives and negatives. i'd say full
    2. you are given a velcro strap for around the LEFT ankle, it will be fine, dont worry about it
    3. yes you can get a bib belt. fairly cheap and i would recommend them. it means no pins and you can turn it around easily for bike and run (back for the bike, front for the run)

yes you will invariably spend 70% of your income on "essential" tri gear. for now though, just enjoy this race. after this one, you have a target to beat...its a different dynamic :) just enjoy the buzz and try soak it all up

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I plan on putting socks and running shoes on in T1

Would normally say don't bother with socks as it will take ages to put dry socks on wet feet... however for your first one it doesn't matter, just enjoy it.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

miller82 wrote: »
    1. personal preference. both have positives and negatives. i'd say full
    2. you are given a velcro strap for around the LEFT ankle, it will be fine, dont worry about it
    3. yes you can get a bib belt. fairly cheap and i would recommend them. it means no pins and you can turn it around easily for bike and run (back for the bike, front for the run)

yes you will invariably spend 70% of your income on "essential" tri gear. for now though, just enjoy this race. after this one, you have a target to beat...its a different dynamic :) just enjoy the buzz and try soak it all up

good luck

ah balls, doing my 1st tri a week (L.Cutra) and thought the tri spending was done for now. Was wondering how i was going to switch Number from my back to my front for the run. Where would you pick up one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

heatons have a fairly cheap karrimor one..theyl be online too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

EC1000 wrote: »
    Would normally say don't bother with socks as it will take ages to put dry socks on wet feet... however for your first one it doesn't matter, just enjoy it.

I agree with this, however I would suggest trying one training run without socks before the race.
    My first tri was my first time running without socks and the instep of my foot suffered some heavy abrasion & bleeding from where part of my shoelaces were tucked in. Made bits of my foot! Wearing socks prevented this in the past / training runs.
    I guess I'm saying just make sure your runners fit correctly and are suited to (your) feet not being covered by socks.
    +1 on number belt, tiny but makes a big difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 EgoTeVocabo

Thanks for all the replies; starting to make some sense now. Next up: track down some open water so I can get out of the swimming pool comfort zone (and all those handy little breaks when you turn, adjust your goggles, wait for kids to get out of the lane, etc.!). Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

LaGlisse wrote: »
    ah balls, doing my 1st tri a week (L.Cutra) and thought the tri spending was done for now. Was wondering how i was going to switch Number from my back to my front for the run. Where would you pick up one of these?
    Most triathlons I've done give you two sets of numbers, one to pin to the front and one to pin to the back if you don't fancy buying a tri belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Thanks for all the replies; starting to make some sense now. Next up: track down some open water so I can get out of the swimming pool comfort zone (and all those handy little breaks when you turn, adjust your goggles, wait for kids to get out of the lane, etc.!). Cheers.

this is crucial IMO !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

There is swim athy the week before.
    On the same course maybe give that a go. As its a controlled enviroment

Would make a lot of sense for sure to do the Athy swim but my strange working situation doesn't allow it. However, did manage to get a few hundred metres in on the Milltown Feeder today, which may have answered one question about the shorty or the full-length! The cold sucks the life out of you and knocks out the breathing; a breath every two strokes compared to four in the pool. Anyway, onwards and upwards. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Wear 2 swim hats as well to keep your head warm, you will get a race cap in your goody bag, just bring another one also.

Also, keep in mind, the cost of your tri gear at beginner level is not important, what I mean is do not spend too much money until you are sure this is for you.

Have fun and take it easy and enjoy it. Best of luck

Wear 2 swim hats as well to keep your head warm, you will get a race cap in your goody bag, just bring another one also.

Also, keep in mind, the cost of your tri gear at beginner level is not important, what I mean is do not spend too much money until you are sure this is for you.

Have fun and take it easy and enjoy it. Best of luck

Cheers for that.Two swim hats it is. No danger of splashing out on fancy gear here. As you say, if the bug bites, then that's another story. This is the first one for me, so it's a LowFi-Athlon...

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Do you need the number pinned to your wetsuit? i was just going to have it on my tshirt when i got to the bike.

My first one aswell, going to the swim athy this weekend for my first open water swim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

pauldoo wrote: »
    Do you need the number pinned to your wetsuit?

DON'T DO THIS!!!!!

Do you need the number pinned to your wetsuit?
    No, there's no numbers required until you get on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Do people wear anything on their feet for the swim?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Shedite27 wrote: »
    No, there's no numbers required until you get on the bike.

If you are wearing a Tri Suit would you need to have numbers -pinned on prerace? Presumably they dont fall apart when wet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

No, just bring an old pair or cheap pair of flip flops for the walk up to the start line, unless you have someone with you at the start you will be leaving these flip flops at the swim start and they will most likely be gone when your race is over.

Usually not allowed to wear anything (as it can help your swim). Some people wear something for the walk but I did it barefoot last year no problem.
    LaGlisse wrote: »
    If you are wearing a Tri Suit would you need to have numbers -pinned on prerace? Presumably they dont fall apart when wet?
    I put mine on prerace, then wetsuit over it. I've never had it fall off. One less thing to worry about.

Just a quick one to say thanks again for all the help on the Boards forum. I did the Sprint Tri in Athy and really enjoyed it. Kudos to all concerned arranging the event. On to the next one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement