Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help - Configure Eircom eMail on iPhone 5s

• 14-05-2014 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can advise me please.

I have Eircom email working fine here in Ireland on a 5S.

However, when I am abroad & connected to wifi, I can receive my Eircom mail without any problems - BUT I cant reply or send new mails.

Is there any specific setting I should change?

Many thanks for any advice

Tanka

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

My own experience was that the eircom outgoing mail server will not allow connections when away (it might even be troublesome here when not on an eircom connection) - I think the only option is another email provider.... gmail.com...?

Paddy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You cannot normally send Eircom email when you are on another providers service. Same for most providers like VF, UTV etc. This is to stop people sending spam on another providers server. As PaddyFagan suggests get a Gmail account and use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

The answer is annoying simple, from what I've been told in the past. When on Eircom wifi, you should be using something like mail1.eircom.net for the setting outgoing mail server. When on your phone's 3G/4G you use your network's outgoing mail server. This page has the various settings:

http://cksolutions.ie/smtp-outgoing-mail-servers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭tanka006

Thanks Guys,

Possibly I didn't explain correctly - I found someone else on the Eircom forum that has exactly the same problem - its possibly a better description

http://community.eircom.net/t5/E-mail-Online-Services/What-are-the-outgoing-server-settings-to-send-or-reply-to-emails/td-p/70031

However, I forgot to say I am on normally on Vodafone - would this make a difference?

Tanka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

tanka006 wrote: »
    Thanks Guys,

Possibly I didn't explain correctly - I found someone else on the Eircom forum that has exactly the same problem - its possibly a better description

http://community.eircom.net/t5/E-mail-Online-Services/What-are-the-outgoing-server-settings-to-send-or-reply-to-emails/td-p/70031

However, I forgot to say I am on normally on Vodafone - would this make a difference?

Tanka

That's the solution I described above. Basically, and I'm no expert, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me:

Forget about the iPhone for the moment. Let's pretend it's a bog standard PC using Outlook, or some other email program.

The optimal setup for Eircom email is using Eircom broadband. So your settings will be the stock Eircom settings, which means your outgoing and incoming mail servers will be Eircom's. Now, if you don't use Eircom broadband (which you don't) it causes a problem as it won't allow you to use their outgoing mail server (i.e. you can't send mails). This is, as I understand it, a security setting.

This means that if you use your PC on someone else's network and they are with another broadband provider (let's just say Three broadband), you won't be able to send emails, as you won't be able to use Eircom's outgoing mail server due to the fact you're not on an Eircom network. Therefore when on this other network, your outgoing mail server settings should be the outgoing mail settings for the network you are currently on (i.e. in this example Three). That's where the link I posted above comes in. You get the setting you need from that page based on what network you're using.

Now if we apply that to the fact you're using an iPhone, then you have a problem. If you only ever use the iPhone on Eircom wifi then using the stock Eircom mail server settings will be fine. But as you want to be able to check emails when you're out and about (on your 3G/4G connection or on other wireless networks) you will have a problem, as the Eircom outgoing mail server setting you use when on your home Eircom network no longer applies/won't work.

You mention you're using Vodafone. I don't know if that's your mobile network, or broadband provider, or both. I'll assume both for the moment. If both, I think that if, on your iPhone, you change your outgoing mail server to Vodafone's setting (mail.vodafone.ie from the page I linked above) then you will be able to send and receive mails on your iPhone. BUT, this will only work when connected to a Vodafone network. If you go to a friend's house and they use Eircom broadband, for example, you won't be able to send an email when connected to their wifi as your current wifi network (Eircom) won't match up with your outgoing mail server settings (mail.vodafone.ie). So in that instance, to send an email, you should disconnect from wifi and use your Vodafone 3G/4G connection, as that should still work.

So the answer basically seems to be: change outgoing mail server to mail.vodafone.ie. Then when you are out and about only send emails using your 3G/4G connection on the phone. Sending emails when connected to other wireless networks won't work, unless they are also Vodafone.

I should say that I don't use Eircom email so I can't test this out but I ran into a similar problem where, when waiting for our Eircom eFibre install, my dad got a Three internet dongle and being on a non-Eircom network meant that he could no longer send emails, as his outgoing mail server was incorrect for the Three network. I changed the setting to the Three outgoing mail server and everything worked perfectly. Then when we got Eircom eFibre installed I changed the setting back to Eircom's outgoing mail server and that worked perfectly again. I don't see why the same wouldn't apply to an iPhone (though, as I said, I stand to be corrected).

Hopefully I've explained that okay. Bottom line, outgoing mail server must match up with broadband provider/mobile network you are using at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

You can put in multiple smtp servers and the mail will try them until it finds one that will let it out, all you have to do is make sure that none of them are primary and just leave the primary off. I swap between a 3rd party ISP at home, eircom in work and UPC in a 2nd work place and no issues with my eircom account sending mail.
    See mine attached - just add in the vodafone smtp

Advertisement