Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer deducting my wages

Options
  • 14-05-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey folks,

Last week I left my job for a new one. In my old job I was in their pension scheme but was only in it for one and a half years.

So when I rang the pension company to say I was leaving they said one option was to receive a refund less tax of my contributions and so would my old employer.

They rang me a day later to say that because when I joined the pension scheme I also transferred over a lump sum from a previous pension scheme that I had been in for 3 years. So it works out that those 3 years count along with my 1.5 years with my old employer. This means I am over the 2 years so I don't get my contributions back which is fine .

The problem is the pension company will also not refund my old employer so I take their contributions with me but now my old employer is trying to deduct this sum from the wages they owe me.

Are they allowed to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Paulbut2000

I have to add that when I transferred over the lump sum my older employer was ok with doing this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Check your contract or hire a solicitor, also check the terms of your pension

You've another thread on this in Legal Issues so asking the same question twice is probably irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Hey folks,

Last week I left my job for a new one. In my old job I was in their pension scheme but was only in it for one and a half years.

So when I rang the pension company to say I was leaving they said one option was to receive a refund less tax of my contributions and so would my old employer.

They rang me a day later to say that because when I joined the pension scheme I also transferred over a lump sum from a previous pension scheme that I had been in for 3 years. So it works out that those 3 years count along with my 1.5 years with my old employer. This means I am over the 2 years so I don't get my contributions back which is fine .

The problem is the pension company will also not refund my old employer so I take their contributions with me but now my old employer is trying to deduct this sum from the wages they owe me.

Are they allowed to do this?

Short version; no.

Consult a solicitor.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

3DataModem wrote: »
    Short version; no.

Consult a solicitor.,

Short answer is maybe. It's not a solicitor you need to discuss it with, it's an accountant. The company you left may have been calculating your pension payments based on you working there for a whole year, this may have tax implications for both you and them. The fact that you left early may mean they have overpaid the pension contributions or may have re-calculate the tax deductions pro-rata (part of a year rather than full year). In other wards, had they known on January 1st that you would only be there for 5 months, payments may be for different amounts.

You need to talk to an accountant or pensions advisor rather than a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The OP has a thread in Legal Discussions with the same question - let's leave it there:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90392878

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement