Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bathroom.

Options
  • 14-05-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Am looking for recommendations for a company or individual to install a new bathroom suite including electric shower and tiling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Related thread from a few weeks ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89624896

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

Thanks......don't know how I missed that thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

I recently did up my bathroom (removed bath, installed a walk in shower), new tiles, wall painted, new sink set etc

I got all the materials myself which was a hell of a lot cheaper than using any company…

I hired in a family friend, moved out for 3-4 days and let him at it…

I only had to pay him for the labour

I also got a babyskip - which are on some kind of special offer at the moment…

The whole price was 1/3 of what I would have paid…

I'd recommend this!

There's a very reasonable bathroom tile place in Ballyfermot - Right Price Tiles - I just got a cheque in post this morning when I returned left over tiles

I got my shower basin and glass from TJ O Mahoneys in Tallaght

There may be places in Blanch that help so apologies if I am deviating from the OP - It just so happened I went to these places instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

There's a very reasonable bathroom tile place in Ballyfermot - Right Price Tiles -

..they also have an outlet in Coolmine Industial Estate.

I've been thinking of bathroom refits as well, like you, I would normally buy the stuff myself and get someone to take care of the labour. Did you get a quote from a bathroom supply/fitting company to compare the costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

TBH - no - I had a friend who got her bathroom done and the price she was quoted was 2-3 times more than what I was willing to pay (she used a company in the Blanch area- I wont mention who) and it put me off…. when I did my own research and met with our family friend who always does the jobs around her houses - He's brilliant and trustworthy - and when I did research then on what I needed such as basin, glass, tiles, grout - it was far more affordable

So to answer your question - no, I didn't get a quote, I based it on a friend who got work done…
    ..Did you get a quote from a bathroom supply/fitting company to compare the costs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

There's a TJ o Mahonys at Kilshane cross. If your getting the tiles yourself it usually works out cheaper if you don't get the grout and adhesive as the tiler would get trade prices and include it in his quote.
    I can pm details of a good plumber and tiler if you want.

I presume you have an electric shower already and just want it changed over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Never mind the price of the tiles, be more careful about the cement and grout etc. that you buy.

We bought tiles in one of those tile shops in Coolmine a couple of years ago. The tiles were significantly reduced and looked good value.

Satisfied that we were getting a bargain, we picked what we wanted and told the salesman that we needed grout and tile cement etc to do the tiles. He asked for the measurements and told us how much we would need and he got these for us and put them on our trolley.

We were surprised when we go to the checkout to pay to find how expensive these other items were.

We got a tiler in to do the work. 1/2 way through the job, we were talking to him and mentioned how expensive we had found the non tile items. He asked if we still had the receipt and nearly cracked up laughing when he seen what we had paid for them.

He advised us to take what was left of the unopened grout and adhesive back to the shop, tell them that these were left over from the job and to get a refund on them, which we did. The shop said that they had supplied the correct amount. I told them that the tiler was finished and that this was what was left over, and that as they had told me how much we needed in the first place that I wanted a refund, which we got.

Off to Atlantic, as it was then, and bought enough grout and adhesive to finish the job, at a fraction of the price I had paid to the tile shop.

The lesson is that some of these tile shops, which seem to have permanent sales, use these reduced price tiles as a loss leader and a means of getting naive punters into the shop and they actually make most of their money on the grout and adhesives etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Murt10 wrote: »

Off to Atlantic, as it was then, and bought enough grout and adhesive to finish the job, at a fraction of the price I had paid to the tile shop.

Its bad when Atlantic is a fraction of the price :eek:

The likes of goodwins would be cheaper again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Droghead

Unfortunately many of the cheaper tile shops are charging and supplying you with too much grout & adhesive... I went to Right Price Tiles bought tiles adhesive Grout and had a load over and they wouldn't take back... You would be better off getting your tiler to tell you how much Grout & Adhesive you need...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I recently did up my bathroom (removed bath, installed a walk in shower), new tiles, wall painted, new sink set etc

I got all the materials myself which was a hell of a lot cheaper than using any company…

I'd recommend this!

There's a very reasonable bathroom tile place in Ballyfermot - Right Price Tiles - I just got a cheque in post this morning when I returned left over tiles

There may be places in Blanch that help so apologies if I am deviating from the OP - It just so happened I went to these places instead..

Apprx how much did it end up at susiewoosie if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 fatb0y

I'd recommend this!

Exactly what I am looking to do as well, so same question as amdublin, would you mind sharing how much it set you back approximately?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

fatb0y wrote: »
    Exactly what I am looking to do as well, so same question as amdublin, would you mind sharing how much it set you back approximately?

The big difference is that susie let a friend/relation do it, which saved them quite a lot. Unless you are fortunate enough to have a similar tradesperson in the family, or better still, are up to the task yourself, then you're gonna get a bill. A hefty one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 fatb0y

dodzy wrote: »
    The big difference is that susie let a friend/relation do it, which saved them quite a lot. Unless you are fortunate enough to have a similar tradesperson in the family, or better still, are up to the task yourself, then you're gonna get a bill. A hefty one.

Hi, yep wouldn't expect any other way, but just trying to figure if I did it (without family help) how much it would be directionally... 1500 / 3000 / 5000... Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

I would recommend www.totalhomeservices.ie. Did a great job on my bathroom. I use them for everything actually! I did buy the tiles etc myself. Found things like tile trim very expensive from Right Price Tiles in Coolmine. Haven't compared the price with anywhere else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I would recommend Kiwi Plumbing.

http://www.kiwiplumbing.ie/

See the pics of our bathroom they did for us: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86095121

heffo500 wrote: »

See the pics of our bathroom they did for us: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86095121

Very nice.

A little bit "ordinary" for me I.e your standard tiles you see in every showroom.

This is what I went with:

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

amdublin wrote: »
    Very nice.

A little bit "ordinary" for me I.e your standard tiles you see in every showroom.

This is what I went with:

Those tiles remind me of a butcher's shop, the worst part is the Triton Shower, It looks awful the big white box slapped on the wall, could you not have gone for a nicer looking shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Looks like they did a good job but the tile colour would not to be my liking. Too much brown. Maybe you could paint the door white to brighten things up?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, play nicely please, you know I hate having to try find my cards. The pictures were posted to demonstrate the quality of the tiling, not so people can critique the interior design.

Those tiles remind me of a butcher's shop, the worst part is the Triton Shower, It looks awful the big white box slapped on the wall, could you not have gone for a nicer looking shower?

Yes the tiles are called subway tiles :)

With my limited budget this is the shower I could get. I think with my limited budget I got a stylish and unique bathroom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement