Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.308 Ammo for Deer stalking & long range

Options
  • 14-05-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hey guys,

There's probably an old thread on this subject but I just wanted to see what the market is at the moment.

I'm looking to be able to consistently buy the same brand of .308 ammo for deer and long range shooting.

I've been using Remmy Prem Matich 168 gr but I've been paying €47 a box and can't justify the price even though the ammo is top notch.

Can ye post what ammo ye use, how reliable its supply is and if possible where ye buy it.

Thanks,

EP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

For long range stuff I use lapua hps 167 scenars.They are same kind of price as your already paying.I founnd the remy premier match was muck after 700/800 meters as it was keyholing after that.168gr smks arent great when they transition to subsonic.Any good stuff for long range will cost you close on 2 euro a round.As for deer Im using Hornady sst

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You won't tbh.

The majority of long range stuff is specifically designed for target shooting and not game. It does not have the characteristics of expanding ammo to cleanly & effectively drop an animal. The reverse is also the same. Ammo specifically designed for hunting has a lower BC than target ammo and while "suitable" for plinking and getting started it cannot measure up the the proper long range stuff.

The exception, for me, would be Hornady A-Max. A great long range bullet and more than suitable for hunting even though it's described/sold as target ammo. The problem being they are scarce at the best of times and not consistently available. Unless you can find a dealer willing to stock it for you.

I've had a lot of lads at the range that were interested in F-Class. They use their current stalking/hunting set up before investing in an F-Class rifle. Most can manage 600 yards without any problems. 800 yards seems to be the "stop point"" whereby the ammo they use has reached it's limit. Accuracy wise. They have trouble retaining groups, get keyholing (where the bullet has de-stabilised and tumbles), and usually have to use a serious amount more adjustment than a dedicated target rifle and target ammo.

As i said above the design, BC and muzzle velocity of hunting ammo is not suited to long range shooting. Coupled with most hunting rifles being 24" barreled, and you are fighting an uphill battle.

If you are happy to stay within a set distance, say 600 yards, then there are a few options for you. Problem here is they are not cheap. Around the €40-€44 per box, so not much less than what you are paying at the moment.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭everypenny

And are you finding it easy to locate a brand/supplier that will maintain the ammo you choose?

My worry is that i'll put time and money into getting my DOPE and the RFD will run out or change his stock ammo.

EP

My local dealer got in a small amount of A-max. When i seent he results i went back and bought over 200 of them. That was over a year ago and he has not gotten them in since.

Once problem i heard a lot of other dealers saying was the supplier demands they buy a set amount. So they must order in amounts of (example only) 5000. That would be too much for any one dealer to get in. However when i said this to my dealer he said it was nonsense. He orders that much from the supplier he said he could get it in pretty much any amount. His only problem was that the supplier he uses has it or can get it. As he told me "i order most of my ammo from the same supplier, so i'm ordering tens of thhousands so i've met any minimum limit they demand well before i ask for something else".

I understand you're reluctance. For stalking i have three brands that out to 200 yards are the exact same in terms of zero and drop. This extends out to maybe 240 yards so for hunting is perfect. After this the difference between say the 150 gr and the 178gr becomes cleaer with one performing better or flatter than the other.

What i would suggest which will bee an easier option, but mean buying two brands, is to select one round for stalking and another for targets. Then zero the rifle for the one activity you use it for most, and learn your dropes/adjustments for both. Record everythin, and then zero your scope. This way you simply refer to your notes and can instantly adjust for whichever you are doing.

Plus let's face it. During the deer season 90% of your time will be at deer, and in the off season you'll be at targets as there is no deer. IOW you won't be constantly changing from one setting to another on a weekly basis.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

So what's the most cost effective method of consistently getting the same ammo?

I'm limited to 100 rounds on my licence so my buying power is limited.

I know a guy who was limited to ten and had to go back to his super to explain that they come in boxes of 20! So I can't really complain (that much).

• Advertisement

everypenny wrote: »
    So what's the most cost effective method of consistently getting the same ammo?
    Two methods that are the same, but vary slightly:
    • Get your dealer to bring in the ammo you want. Have him keep it there for you and buy it in 20s, 40s, 100s at a time. When i runs low ask him to bring more in.
    • Get your dealer to bring in the ammo you want. Pay for it all up front. It's now your ammo, but he can "store it" for you. Collect 100 at a time until the supply runs low. Then have him bring in more.
    I'm limited to 100 rounds on my licence so my buying power is limited.
    That's a PITA. Why not write to your Super (via your FO) and explain that as a hunter, doing vermin control in the off season, and a member of a range you need X amount. Provide a copy of your deer license and range membership and ask for an increase. Explain that exmpty brass counts towards your total license amount for technically 1 empty and 100 "full"/live rounds and you are in breach of the conditions of your license. So to stay legal you want an increase from 100 to say 500 as per the commissioner's guidelines:
    Deer = 240 - 260 rounds
    Target = 500 - 750 rounds.
    I know a guy who was limited to ten and had to go back to his super to explain that they come in boxes of 20! So I can't really complain (that much).
    Wow.

Never heard of anything that ridiculous before.

I didn't realise that the brass counted in the overall allotment allowed!

But thanks for that advice, I'll have to try that.

Yup.

It;s a component part of ammunition therefore it's counted towards your total. A joke, but still law. I use this all the time and it's a sound reason to have a higher limit. It's not a trick or scam you are using. It's the law and they cannot argue with it or against it with anything to contradict you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hornady Amax is good for soft skinned game such as the deer here in Ireland. It used to state that on the hornady website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

pvri partizan, if you can get it, is excellent, and at 18 euro a box it is nearly as cheap as reloading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

The Hornandy TAP 168GR are A Max heads,very accurate round & Paddy Carley does them for €30 a box.I have only switched over to them so cannot comment on performance on Deer,went with a recommendation from a knowledgeable mate of mine.I am happy I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Lotharmike wrote: »
    The Hornandy TAP 168GR are A Max heads,very accurate round & Paddy Carley does them for €30 a box.I have only switched over to them so cannot comment on performance on Deer,went with a recommendation from a knowledgeable mate of mine.I am happy I did.

I am using them too great round.

Advertisement