Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuine Query in relation to Traveller homing

Options
  • 14-05-2014 12:50pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now before this is taken up the wrong way I am not giving out about any members of the Travelling community so keep it civil folks :)

My query, over the last number of weeks when im driving about i notice new "Estates" have popped up in areas that were mainly used by travellers. These are nice brand new houses with nice gardens etc and their mobiles/caravans are parked in the gardens etc.

What I would like to know is, who is paying for these estates/houses to be built, is it the council or do the travellers pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Honestly now, who do you think is paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Now before this is taken up the wrong way I am not giving out about any members of the Travelling community so keep it civil folks :)

My query, over the last number of weeks when im driving about i notice new "Estates" have popped up in areas that were mainly used by travellers. These are nice brand new houses with nice gardens etc and their mobiles/caravans are parked in the gardens etc.

What I would like to know is, who is paying for these estates/houses to be built, is it the council or do the travellers pay?

Estates popping up in mere weeks? Jaysus the construction industry must be flyin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you would rather that the people were still living in roadside caravans, with no fixed toilets?

Seriously OP, we cannot answer your question without knowing the specific locations you are talking about. I know of two areas in Galway City that used to only halting sites, but which have had estates built around them. In one case, at least, the housing is a mixture of council and private ownership

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

bumper234 wrote: »
    Estates popping up in mere weeks? Jaysus the construction industry must be flyin again.

No i have only noticed over the last few weeks that there is now houses in these locations.

Some of the locations are around the Laois area and 1 I noticed was up around clondalkin (not sure how long that one is there but looked new enough to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that would be you and I, the taxpayer OP. As a side note, they were built houses behind nutgrove shopping centre, I saw one burned out the other day and a neighbouring one a few years ago, turns out they burn them out when someone dies in the house!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Idbatterim wrote: »
    that would be you and I, the taxpayer OP. As a side note, they were built houses behind nutgrove shopping centre, I saw one burned out the other day and a neighbouring one a few years ago, turns out they burn them out when someone dies in the house!

That's allowed. It's their culture and you are a racist if you give out about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know by the M50 at St Margaret's there is traveler housing and they appear to live in houses but still have some caravans around the site. But didn't our recent census say a rapidly increasing number of travelers are living in houses. Plus more of them are now going to college I know of some travellers who are doctors. There is plently of female travellers now doing their leaving which was very uncommon until recently.

The differences between travellers and "settled people", are gradually disappearing

Advertisement