Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lc HL geography

• 14-05-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Can someone please give me some predictions for the geography Lc or what is the most important things to learn?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

This. There are far too many essays to predict in certainty. It also depends on what elective/option you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shakespeare14

Earthquakes, plate tectonics, soils and drainage and soils. Our teacher heavily tipped us off last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

Between the Biome (80m), Project (100m), Short Questions (80m) and Question As (60m) you can get 64%. Furthermore, some Long Questions appear frequently. So for example, in Physical Geography Human Interaction with Rivers appears yearly, so study that. Do this with each section and you can get 90m which is about 18%. Add on 64% which is 82%. All this assuming you learn off the Biome, did an excellent project and you knew your SQs.

You shouldn't rely on predictions but I'm focusing on:
    Human Interaction with Rocks/Rivers
    Landform Formation
    Rock Formation

Economic Activities of the regions you are studying

Overpopulation, Rural-Urban Migration, Effects on Donor/Receiver Regions

For the Leaving Cert I'm studying a lot more (10 answers from each section), but for the mocks (with these predictions) I was covered and got a B2.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

Between the Biome (80m), Project (100m), Short Questions (80m) and Question As (60m) you can get 64%. Furthermore, some Long Questions appear frequently. So for example, in Physical Geography Human Interaction with Rivers appears yearly, so study that. Do this with each section and you can get 90m which is about 18%. Add on 64% which is 82%. All this assuming you learn off the Biome, did an excellent project and you knew your SQs.

Landform Formation
    Rock Formation

For the Leaving Cert I'm studying a lot more (10 answers from each section), but for the mocks (with these predictions) I was covered and got a B2.

See when u say economic activities, are u just talking about primary, secondary and tertiary or including human processes of each region too?

cferry3 wrote: »
    See when u say economic activities, are u just talking about primary, secondary and tertiary or including human processes of each region too?

Primary, Secondary and Tertiary. My teacher said not to study the human processes (might of been because she didn't go through it), but I suppose if you want to be covered completely you can. Oh yeah, she also said you can exclude Irish Tertiary, Brazil Primary and France Primary as they were asked last year.

I can give you the complete list if you want, my teacher normally predicts what's coming up, and she says that every year her predictions come true :/ . Last year, in her class (of 30), 1/3 got As, 1/3 got Bs and the rest got Cs. This year she gave us 8 questions from each section and I added on 2 to each section just to be covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

Primary, Secondary and Tertiary. My teacher said not to study the human processes (might of been because she didn't go through it), but I suppose if you want to be covered completely you can. Oh yeah, she also said you can exclude Irish Tertiary, Brazil Primary and France Primary as they were asked last year.

I can give you the complete list if you want, my teacher normally predicts what's coming up, and she says that every year her predictions come true :/ . Last year, in her class (of 30), 1/3 got As, 1/3 got Bs and the rest got Cs. This year she gave us 8 questions from each section and I added on 2 to each section just to be covered.

Yeah can u give me the list please, I made up a kind of list of predictions myself so will be interesting to see if I have the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Whats considered a 'landform' answer? can it be anything like are sea arches, waterfalls, meanders and limestone pavement etc all landforms? is it just anything you can see above ground?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Whats considered a 'landform' answer? can it be anything like are sea arches, waterfalls, meanders and limestone pavement etc all landforms? is it just anything you can see above ground?

Generally I think the question will ask the 'Formation of a Landform of Erosion' or the 'Formation of a Landform of Deposition', it may be specific asking you to locate it on a OS Map but it really could be any. Limestone Pavement would generally be asked in how a form of erosion forms a distinctive Irish landscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It depends. Some years they have simply asked 'Examine the processes leading to one Irish landform of your choice'. For this Q you can talk about anything from waterfalls to sinkholes as long as you give an Irish example.

Recently they have specified a landform of erosion or deposition which means for example a waterfall or beach. Also, they may ask you to locate the landform on an OS map which can be awkward as your favourite landform may not be on it.

Generally I think the question will ask the 'Formation of a Landform of Erosion' or the 'Formation of a Landform of Deposition', it may be specific asking you to locate it on a OS Map but it really could be any. Limestone Pavement would generally be asked in how a form of erosion forms a distinctive Irish landscape.

thanks! and for the erosional/deposition landform question. Would it be okay to just learn say waterfall for erosion landform or would you need to know a middle and old stage river landform aswell?

EDIT: OK lad above me answered that, thanks ! very helpful

• Advertisement

For the rivers questions. Im doing waterfall as feature of erosion, irish landform.
    If Im asked to describe a landform on an OS map Im doing a meander, which I assume will probably be on it hopefully

And for feature of deposition can I do meander/ox bow lake? Or do I have to do braided stream/levee etc??

ALSOO I have a big quesiton. About mans influence on rivers. In my notes that my teacher gave me theres 2 questions
    1) The interaction between human activities and Rivers .
    Then theres a sample essay on flooding etc, no case study like 3 gorges
    2)HUman managment of rivers or human activities interacting with naturak processes in river valleys.
    Then the sample essay below that was about flooding etc, again no 3 gorges case study.

Then the 3 question wasthe interaction btween human acitvities and rivers OR how humans attempt to influence or control natural processes in a river valley.
    Then there was the 3 gorges sample essay.

Why did he give us three different answers for those????:confused: Would the 3 gorges case study not suffice for all 3 of those questions or is there different wording in those 3 questions that requires different answers>

For the rivers questions. Im doing waterfall as feature of erosion, irish landform.
    If Im asked to describe a landform on an OS map Im doing a meander, which I assume will probably be on it hopefully

And for feature of deposition can I do meander/ox bow lake? Or do I have to do braided stream/levee etc??

ALSOO I have a big quesiton. About mans influence on rivers. In my notes that my teacher gave me theres 2 questions
    1) The interaction between human activities and Rivers .
    Then theres a sample essay on flooding etc, no case study like 3 gorges
    2)HUman managment of rivers or human activities interacting with naturak processes in river valleys.
    Then the sample essay below that was about flooding etc, again no 3 gorges case study.

Then the 3 question wasthe interaction btween human acitvities and rivers OR how humans attempt to influence or control natural processes in a river valley.
    Then there was the 3 gorges sample essay.

Why did he give us three different answers for those????:confused: Would the 3 gorges case study not suffice for all 3 of those questions or is there different wording in those 3 questions that requires different answers>

My answer covers all three, but I look at the Mississippi River and the 3 Gorges. Your teacher must want you all to learn different answers so you don't go in with the same answer.

T'is confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emilybreen

Anybody have any predictions for Q's 10, 11 and 12?

I reckon Igneous rocks is a no brainer. It hasn't come up in a few years and it was on my mock. Human interaction with coastal/fluvial environment seems likely too.

My geography teacher reckons there'll be two biome essays in the geoecology section this year (characteristics and human influence) and only one soil question because there's been 2 soil 1 biome for the past two years.

I have a feeling something on human in the sub continental region will come up also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CowboyTD

Sorry but any chance I could get that list of predictions from u? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 YNWA123

Was thinking about getting exam skills book . Is it too late ?

YNWA123 wrote: »
    Was thinking about getting exam skills book . Is it too late ?

Nothings ever too late :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

If I did the 'multi national corporation' question in economic geography and it also came up in the 'global interdependence ' question would I be able to use the same samples and statistics in both the questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

Anyone any idea on whats coming up in the regional geograpgy long question??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TheBaker

Id really appreciate a copy of that list aswell mate.

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea on whats coming up in the regional geograpgy long question??

Not being sarcastic but no. You can probably leave out what came up last year to a certain extent but even then anything can happen. :(

By the way, Mayo won't win Sam either :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

Id be eternally greatful to you if you could tell me the complete list. Im really struggling with geography :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

If you stick in a statistic that sounds plausible even if it's not true there's a good chance you'll get an SRP for it. Just don't overdo it, and for god sake make it realistic. Long term osmosis of Sue Honan's book would have been ideal, but it's still not too late. Get the book and learn off essays.

Cant for the life of me get the option geoecology essays into my head

OK so im almost sure my teacher gave us too many notes for the option question. This is SRP number one for the first paragraph :
    The Mediterranean Biome climate is also known as a warm temperate western margin climate. It is found on the west coasts of continents. Its located between 30 and 40degrees north and south of the equator eg. South of france, South Italy and South Spain.

Now is it just me or is that about 2 srps???? or would that really only be 1 srp :( Because if so i havnt a hope of learning 3 of these geoecology essays...

OK so im almost sure my teacher gave us too many notes for the option question. This is SRP number one for the first paragraph :
    The Mediterranean Biome climate is also known as a warm temperate western margin climate. It is found on the west coasts of continents. Its located between 30 and 40degrees north and south of the equator eg. South of france, South Italy and South Spain.

Now is it just me or is that about 2 srps???? or would that really only be 1 srp :( Because if so i havnt a hope of learning 3 of these geoecology essays...

Hard to know what constitutes an SRP sometimes. Generally they give up to 3 SRP's for statistics so I would reckon you have 2 there. Don't take my word for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 saoirse96

can i have that list too please??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 laylaax

Landform Formation
    Rock Formation

No way is be able to get that list as well ? Geography is slowly killing me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Any chance I could get that list as well? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

Is there any chance I could get that list off you? I'm desperate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Boardbud

! Seriously stuck on what i could study , what do you think would i be covered with : waterfall , ox bow lake , measurements of earthquakes , sustainable development , MNC dell , igneous rocks , human interaction with rivers and rocks (yangtzee river + quarrying ) , financial services in ireland , conflict over the corrib gas , culture in india , and for the biome im goint to risk it as i only have the characteristics studied , and dont have enough time to study another 2 biome essays ! Do you honestly think im covered or what could i add ?

Advertisement