Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish soldiers in Palestine

Options
  • 14-05-2014 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone has ever come across any information about Irish soliders who served with the British Army during the British Mandate in Palestine? I heard some stories about Irish soldiers from some Palestinians last year and I'd love to know if there was any truth to it! Google is not being helpful unfortunately....thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Royal Irish Fusiliers and Irish Guards served in Palestine in 1936

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

There is a grave in Cruagh cemetery in Rockbrook, Dublin 16 of a soldier who was killed in Palestine. I looked up the date of death on the net out of curiosity some time ago and there was a description of what happened...from memory I think it was 1947 but I can check it out again for you if you're interested. He was killed when some 'locals' stormed the barracks where he was on guard with the British Army. I think he may have been buried locally and only his name is on the family grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There were a lot of a Irish who served in the police there. People like Charles Tegart.......

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19019949

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The 10th "Irish Division" was posted there towards the end of the First World war. Of course by then most of the battalions of Irish regiments had been rotated out of it and it was largely an Indian division by then.

Well, they were better used to the heat :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

the father of comedian Dave Allen served with the Palestine police/gendarmarie after a stint with the Auxiliary Division RIC.

Douglas Valder Duff, a godson of Sir Roger Casement, served in the Black and Tans and later in the Palestine police.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

Only just saw the replies there now- thanks! So maybe people weren't making stuff up to make me feel welcome after all! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

savvyav wrote: »
    Only just saw the replies there now- thanks! So maybe people weren't making stuff up to make me feel welcome after all! :)

Irish people make up history!!!!! How dare you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

the father of comedian Dave Allen served with the Palestine police/gendarmarie after a stint with the Auxiliary Division RIC.

Douglas Valder Duff, a godson of Sir Roger Casement, served in the Black and Tans and later in the Palestine police.

Frank Carson was there as well, according to Wiki he was at the clean up after King David Hotel bomb

Advertisement