Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managing money on USA holiday

Options
  • 14-05-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

What do you guys reckon is the best way to manage spending money while on holiday in the States?
    I am going the weekend after next.
    I've got $1k cash from the bank so we will use that until it runs out.
    Thereafter what's the best way to manage it?

Was thinking of pre-loading the credit card and using it as a pass card to withdraw money while out there.
    What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Better off loading the money on to a debit card in my opinion.

If my credit card is stolen, only the amount up to the credit limit is covered. Anything more is not covered.

I've a PTSB Visa Debit card and worked fine in San Francisco. Withdrawing cash I didn't do as the transaction rates were mad.

You'll probably get destroyed on cash-advance charges as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

How long are you going for?

Be careful about withdrawing cash from US ATM's. Both your card issuer here and the owner of the ATM in the US will charge you a fee. They can be quite steep. Banks here also put a limit on how much per day you can withdraw using your debit card overseas. Contact your credit card company, as its possible they may have a limit too. This is to protect them if you card is stolen and they won't be on the hook for large amounts taken from your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Just back from a few weeks holiday in Florida. I took a relatively small amount of cash with me and used my credit card for most purchases. When I got back I cleared the balance. No withdrawal fees and there is very little that you actually need cash for. Pay off your balance when you return and no interest incurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I would agree with Veetwin

I never have cash on me and it is really rare that I even it. I can only think of 2 places where cards aren't accepted in my neighbourhood (in SF).
    Use your CC and pay off at the end of your trip - have maybe 200 in cash split into 50's/20's for when you need it

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

How long are you going for?? Generally what we do is bring so much in cash for stuff like drinks, tolls and bits and pieces you might buy like bottles of water etc. For shopping and buying tickets and stuff use a card.

A word of caution about drawing money out from a bank machine....... I should say first that I've been to the states loads of times and rarely had issues but last year we went into a shop and used the pass machine to take out $200. The machine stalled and wouldn't give out the money and wouldn't cancel the transaction. The person behind the counter, after watching us use the machine, then said oh that machine isn't working. The shop wouldn't take responsibility for it and told us to check with the bank....... The bank told us it was an issue with the shop!!!!!!!?? We had to phone the ulster bank to explain what happened. They reinstated the money and we had it in the bank when we got back. It wasn't easy to ring the bank from America I can tell you!!!!!

Anyway moral of the story bring enough cash to keep you going and then use plastic. Depending on where you go and how long you go for dictates how much you'll need.

Have a great trip!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Thanks a lot guys. Some good advice here. I guess I probably should have gotten a smaller amount of dollars then really & used the cc as much as possible.
    Going for two weeks so the 1K (between two of us) will probably not last a huge amount of time.
    We will probably use up 900 of it on restaurants, metro tickets, attractions etc at the start and then start using the card for everything after that & keep the 100 in cash for buying soft drinks & for tolls/tipping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Back from 2 weeks in the States with the missus.

Brought 1.5k in cash. Cash lasted the 2 weeks but we were putting stuff on the CC as well

Advertisement