Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weight Training for Runners

• 14-05-2014 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if I am repeating previous threads but I'm just looking for advice on what weight training most runners do. I train with a club two night a week and then I usually go to the gym 3/4 other nights. So as a runner, what weight training do you do to benefit your running? i.e. Squatting etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I used to do the following and it was very beneficial but I have nowhere to do it as the back sitting room is now the toy room and I was not that big into it. I got this and was doing it twice a week with a strength and conditioning coach. It resulted in a good 10M PB for me. I just prefer running to doing this sort of thing. I have a printout for all of these if you want.

Warmup with :
    Single Leg Romanian deadlift walk
    High Knee walk
    Heel pull
    Fire hydrant
    squat walk
    Half kneeling hip flexor stretch

Bulgarian Squat x 10 -12kg
    Single Leg Romanian Deadlift x 10 - 12kg
    Kettlebell Push Press x 10 - 8kg
    Swiss Ball Rollouts x 10
    Swiss ball Leg Curl x 10
    Cossack Squat x 10
    Step Up with Balance x 10 - 12kg
    Hip Drive Of Ball x 10 - no weight
    Swiss ball Dumbell Press x 10
    Prone trap Raise x 10 - 4kg
    Bird-Dog Squares x 10
    Plank in press up Position with arm reach x 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Lunges, one legged squats and step ups are three simple very beneficial exercises i find!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

manlad wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry if I am repeating previous threads but I'm just looking for advice on what weight training most runners do. I train with a club two night a week and then I usually go to the gym 3/4 other nights. So as a runner, what weight training do you do to benefit your running? i.e. Squatting etc

To be honest 'most' runners would do little or no weight training.

I am not saying that is the correct thing to do but it is the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

5 nights running is much superior to 2 nights running + 3 weight sessions if you are interested in improving as a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I do one day a week with Functional Training in Dublin. Mostly strength work on glutes/ core with bands/ dynamic movement etc running specific stuff- I also do 150 press ups and a couple rounds of planks once or twice a week- can't recommend the functional training stuff enough- neglected it for ages but have really taken to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

drquirky wrote: »
    I do one day a week with Functional Training in Dublin. Mostly strength work on glutes/ core with bands/ dynamic movement etc running specific stuff- I also do 150 press ups and a couple rounds of planks once or twice a week- can't recommend the functional training stuff enough- neglected it for ages but have really taken to it!
    Wait.. You do 150 press-ups distributed over the course of a week, or 150 press-ups a couple of times a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Wait.. You do 150 press-ups distributed over the course of a week, or 150 press-ups a couple of times a week?

Does it matter !! 150 press-ups :eek:
    I'm feeling intimidated already :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Does it matter !! 150 press-ups :eek:
    I'm feeling intimidated already :p
    I was feeling pretty smug about my 30 press-ups. Dr. Quirky is a hardy Bostonion though and likely does his press-ups with the wife and kids perched on his back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Haha yeah 150 twice a week but in sets like, 5x30 stuff like that... I'm an ex wrestler it kinda got drilled into me :) trust me KC your rock climbing exploits are well beyond my overall strength!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭zuhuraswa

Lunges and Squats with weights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

My general routine would be heavy weights first long break (like 10 min) and then move to functional movement stuff/plyometrics

Weights include:

Leg Press
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Calf Raises

I would alternate these with upper body movements as well (mainly pulley style rehab work for shoulder though this is specific to my)

Functional stuff/ Plyometrics would include:

Box Jumps
    Prowler Sprints
    Weighted lunges
    Single leg squats into hip flexion with med ball
    Overhead med ball throws

Best bet is to get a personal trainer (someone with a background working with runners or even a S&C / Rehab coach) to evaluate your weaknesses and work on them as well as working primary movers.

You don't use muscles in isolation while running so try to do exercises which incorporate muscle groups rather than individual muscles (known as compound movements)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

menoscemo wrote: »
    To be honest 'most' runners would do little or no weight training.

I am not saying that is the correct thing to do but it is the reality.

I know what you're saying. I meant to say I also go for runs after the gym sessions. I had been running alot (5 days a week) and saw vast improvements in my times. I just noticed that I hadn't been doing any legs weights really and I think that this is something I could also implement to improve strength, speed and stamina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

Thanks for all the advice! Time to put some of it in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

ecoli wrote: »
    My general routine would be heavy weights first long break (like 10 min) and then move to functional movement stuff/plyometrics

Weights include:

Leg Press
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Calf Raises

I would alternate these with upper body movements as well (mainly pulley style rehab work for shoulder though this is specific to my)

Functional stuff/ Plyometrics would include:

Box Jumps
    Prowler Sprints
    Weighted lunges
    Single leg squats into hip flexion with med ball
    Overhead med ball throws

Best bet is to get a personal trainer (someone with a background working with runners or even a S&C / Rehab coach) to evaluate your weaknesses and work on them as well as working primary movers.

You don't use muscles in isolation while running so try to do exercises which incorporate muscle groups rather than individual muscles (known as compound movements)

Thats what I did. He was mainly into GAA and cheap then. Now he has made a name for himself after me suggesting a few business ideas to him he charges much more and I can't justify paying it. It is beneficial but I run cause I enjoy it and those kind of exercises are not enjoyable so if there was a cheap class i would do it other than that nah.

Advertisement