Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband assistance please.....

Options
  • 14-05-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

OK...I need help.. Im moving to Recess on Monday, had been assured there was broadband, and I believe there was in the cottage up to a year ago, but nobody seems to know who the provider was. Main suspect is Lighthouse Networks, been on to them and they were most helpful, but dont think the original connection was with them, they think they can provide, but it will be 3mg max.. Im on the laptop 24/7...I understand the exchange at Recess isnt set up for broadband, so that leaves me with a dongle. I put one from Vodafone on my bill yesterday, but seeing as how its not working in Wicklow, not holding out much hope for it down there.. Any advice for me anyone please????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

What kind of device was fitted on the house for broadband ? was it a large satellite dish or a rectangular or square box no more than 12 inches high ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Thereis a small squarish dish on the roof, spoke to a lovely guy from Litehouse who told me theirs comes in through cable so Im guessing it wasnt them. Unfortunatly I cant find out what the previous owner used up to a year ago... People are recommending 3 to me, rang them and spoke to them, he was trying to get me to sign up to a dongle with a monthly payment, sounds reasonable enough, but obviously need to be sure there is good coverage in the Recess area...

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

I would'nt rush into any contract with them. Can you borrow a dongle and try it out for a few days first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

www.Irelandoffline.org will tell you what's available in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭tphase

aynneone wrote: »
    Thereis a small squarish dish on the roof, spoke to a lovely guy from Litehouse who told me theirs comes in through cable so Im guessing it wasnt them. Unfortunatly I cant find out what the previous owner used up to a year ago... People are recommending 3 to me, rang them and spoke to them, he was trying to get me to sign up to a dongle with a monthly payment, sounds reasonable enough, but obviously need to be sure there is good coverage in the Recess area...

I'd check with Lighthouse again - they use wireless distribution and the antenna would be that squarish dish. The cable referred to is perhaps the one from the dish to the router...or maybe you just got a sales person who isn't familiar with the hardware:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Could it have been Airwire Broadband, http://www.airwire.ie/
    We have them and it's a small square box they use. they have given us great service over the last 5 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Worth bearing in mind some local people sometimes set up a system on unlicensed spectrum and resell it.

Quickest way to find out is to go to the nearest pub and sit have a drink and talk to the locals you'll soon find out.

And enjoy living out west you soon get used to the slow broadband and the easier pace of life i'm a dub and I wouldnt go back for all the money in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Bazzy, thanks for that, got sorted quite easily in the end, Litenet came out, lovely guy, but climbed up onto the roof and couldnt see whatever mast he needed to, so that was going to work, so got onto 3.. call centre in India, but surprisingly efficient, had my wifi modem in 2 days and works prefectly for E21.99 a month... Thanks to the people who took the time to reply.. Now..... my next problem issssss..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Ah sure theres nothing cant be fixed in galway. .... Eventually

Advertisement