Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

This is another property bubble being created .The asking price is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Nobody forcing you to view or bid .Whats the problem ?Continue looking within your price range .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

anto9 wrote: »
    Nobody forcing you to view or bid .Whats the problem ?Continue looking within your price range .

Portlaoise is a long drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The asking price is only crazy if nobody buys it at that price.

If they achieve the sale, then teh asking price was perfect.

Buyers inflate a market, not sellers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

See:

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/12-ballyroan-road-rathfarnham-dublin-14/2804258

if i went to view this there'd be 50 couples scrambling to bid on it, and given current market I'd say it will go for asking if not more, probably 500k.

Very depressing :(

Well go look in white church. same house. same size. 200,000 cheaper.

you cant afford this house. Either get a better job, win lotto or look for somewhere you can afford.

you are doing the exact same thing you probably moan and give out about to your mates down the pub for the last 5 years.

Buy what you can afford. If you really do want a house, look elsewhere cheaper near the area.

If you cant buy somewhere you like, dont buy for the sake of it. rent til something comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you would be better off in Dundrum or Churchtown anyway IMO far better value for money given the area. As in the prices are similar but I deem them to have far better amenities, the Luas, cinema, Dundrum town centre, close to loads of good schools, UCD etc... There is one in Columbanus estate asking E390k, looks very similar to the one you linked to OP...

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/155-st-columbanus-road-dundrum-dublin-14/2809930

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/58-sweetmount-park-dundrum-dublin-14/2726303

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Looks like a dump and a rip off..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

lolosaur wrote: »
    you cant afford this house.

I can easily afford this house.

It's just depressing what half a million buys you in some parts of Dublin at present - no value at all and cash-driven inflated prices IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

IMO only an idiot would pay 500k+ for that

anyone who was in a position to buy i.e. had the cash or mortgage approval and didnt 2/3 years ago, has seriously f**cked up in my opinion. Certainly in the areas of Dublin I am familiar with anyway and where the prices have risen steeply over the past year or so. I wasnt and still am not in a position to buy, but if I could have, I would have without hesitation...

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-C6F1BAB6743DC25180257A7D0057DA2D?OpenDocument

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-0385265AE6D638B680257A7D0057A805?OpenDocument

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-12C3B6A3F3BA119980257AAA00355E24?OpenDocument
    There will be a lot of idiots in that case!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Mr.McLovin wrote: »

Pure keeping up with the jones' crap.

cant help but look at alot of people in negative equity and think "serves you right"

BTW, for 500k, that house is crap. Look harder OP.

Pure keeping up with the jones' crap.

cant help but look at alot of people in negative equity and think "serves you right"

BTW, for 500k, that house is crap. Look harder OP.

I agree for 500k its crap, but if you advocate searching for better, thousands are doing so on a daily basis on myhome.ie, believe me, if there is a property that offers good value or is under priced to attract attention, the price will soon shoot up to the "market value"...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

why anyone would pay over 400k for a house attached to another house is beyond me , at that kind of money you can get plenty of decent detached properties just outside the m50 ,

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

You would want to be completely out of your mind to consider paying 500k for this house as it stands. If you purchased it you would be looking at spunking out another 100k to get it up to a good standard .Its got a BER rating G which makes it one step above a cow shed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I own a house built in the 70' that has a BER rating of E...and I feel hard done by as it is a devil to heat. I do not even want to know what G rating implies.....no doors/windows, no insulation no heating system????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Idbatterim wrote: »
    you would be better off in Dundrum or Churchtown anyway IMO far better value for money given the area. As in the prices are similar but I deem them to have far better amenities, the Luas, cinema, Dundrum town centre, close to loads of good schools, UCD etc... There is one in Columbanus estate asking E390k, looks very similar to the one you linked to OP...

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/155-st-columbanus-road-dundrum-dublin-14/2809930

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/58-sweetmount-park-dundrum-dublin-14/2726303

viewed the Columbanus one, very nice. rang yesterday to enquire about current bid, was at 455k. I promptly ended the conversation. absolute madness currently!

how is the Columbanus property described as semi detached?!

how is the Columbanus property described as semi detached?!

because only the converted garages touch!:P

i'm sure there is some quirk in the definitions, but it definitely is not a terrace house anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

anto9 wrote: »

I would love to know within whose range it is meant to be ?
    If you apply as rule of thumb the old 4or 5 times salary then one would have to be earning near 100k to afford it ?
    Now who exactly earns a 100k.
    Oh wait all the high flyers in Google, Facebook, a few government advisors, etc.

This is a bloody semi D 3 bed 1400 sq foot hosue in the suburbs which needs loads of restoration work not some big house in prime condition.

BTW I thought the ad was very poor.
    I was particularly glad they mentioned the front and rear gardens are outside. :rolleyes:

For once I agreed with luncinda creighton when she said this morning that our average property is still 6 or 7 times average wage.
    What makes this whole situation even more lunacy is that we have thousands defaulting on their loans and still remaining in their properties.

Absolute madness.
    lolosaur wrote: »
    Well go look in white church. same house. same size. 200,000 cheaper.

you cant afford this house. Either get a better job, win lotto or look for somewhere you can afford.

Dammit I forgot normal people with reasonably normal jobs need to win lotto to live in Rathfarnham.

This whole thing is going to end badly when the cat stops bouncing.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

jmayo wrote: »
    Hello:p
    I know quite a few and you aren't even close to the type of people making that money.
    You also are also ignoring that people can already own a large portion of their current property and use that equity along with savings.

• Advertisement

i'm sure there is some quirk in the definitions, but it definitely is not a terrace house anyway.
    grey area that one... I mean if you could knock down the existing living room, reinstate a narrower room and still have room for side access, it wouldnt be bad, but there is no way there is the width to do that...

grey area that one... I mean if you could knock down the existing living room, reinstate a narrower room and still have room for side access, it wouldnt be bad, but there is no way there is the width to do that...

converted garage was narrow as it was, to add a passage you might as well just have the room as a corridor or downstairs loo etc.

by no means a perfect house, but decent. however 455K after one day after first viewing is just plain nuts. complete nuts.

Jmayo, while I wish there houses were 4-5 times the "average" wage, I think thats wishful thinking, geographically we are talking about a very small area of the country, where a huge amount want to live and those with money equally as importantly. This situation isnt unique to Ireland... The problem now, is everyone want the "finisher" home, so to put it, the 3 / 4 bed semi D in a good area...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Daithi_2014

The average wage will get you a house if you want one. Just not where those on above the average wage are competing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-brookwood-road-artane-dublin-5/2775915

Last raised price was 400k on myhome. Went sale agreed 2 weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I'd say it would be a local buyer that would be after those types of homes. Are they paying over the odd.....Yes

But it's not just the cost of a mortgage that lots's of people consider, many have to factor in childcare cost. If your family are from the area and you can get cheap or free childcare it may make sense to pay over the odds on a house and loose the 1200-1600 euro (2 Kids) monthly childcare cost if you move out of your local area.

I've recently paid over the odds on a similar style house (much better condition, modernized and insulated), In my case I recon i paid about 20-30 grand over what the house is really worth. But the current market dictates that price. I could have bought a "better new house" out of Dublin in Kildare and saved that money but my childcare cost would have been 1600 euro per month, 1200 euro more than I will be paying. Those costs would have to be paid for the next 9-10 years..... so in the short term i paid over the odds but I feel I've done well, I got a home I'm happy to be my forever home, and my children will be raised by a loving family member.

There are lots of factors why people will pay over the odd, I'd say childcare is one big one and if there is something to be depressed about it's childcare costs and the lack of affordable options.

Valetta wrote: »
    The asking price is only crazy if nobody buys it at that price.

If they achieve the sale, then teh asking price was perfect.

Buyers inflate a market, not sellers.

Ordinarily yes but the phenomenon of foreclosure stuffing means that sellers who can't afford their house are being allowed to scupper the sale to people who can afford it. Thus sellers are holding the market to hostage.

jmayo wrote: »
    I would love to know within whose range it is meant to be ?
    If you apply as rule of thumb the old 4or 5 times salary then one would have to be earning near 100k to afford it ?
    Oh wait all the high flyers in Google, Facebook, a few government advisors, etc.

This is a bloody semi D 3 bed 1400 sq foot hosue in the suburbs which needs loads of restoration work not some big house in prime condition.

BTW I thought the ad was very poor.
    I was particularly glad they mentioned the front and rear gardens are outside. :rolleyes:

For once I agreed with luncinda creighton when she said this morning that our average property is still 6 or 7 times average wage.
    What makes this whole situation even more lunacy is that we have thousands defaulting on their loans and still remaining in their properties.

Absolute madness.

Dammit I forgot normal people with reasonably normal jobs need to win lotto to live in Rathfarnham.

This whole thing is going to end badly when the cat stops bouncing.

There's a lot of people getting "help" from mammy & daddy, which would significantly boost their purchasing power from a 3 bed in Firhouse to a 3 bed in Churchtown. Older people are fairly well off in this country so their wealth is being destroyed to fill in the black hole labelled "debt".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭vixdname

Mr.McLovin wrote: »

I agree.

It "Features" - Electric Heating !!!! Costs a fortune

BER Certified - "G" - Terrible

Wouldn't touch the place with a barge pole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Purchase price aside, it would be interesting to do a case study on the circumstances and lifestyles of the original buyers and more to the point the sacrifices that had to be made to buy the house in the OP back in the 50s or 60s when it was built compared to the prospective buyers now.

Advertisement