Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone Done the *BSc (Honours) in Computer Services Management* (Mayo Campus)?

• 14-05-2014 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone out there has done this course and if so what you thought of it?

I'm looking for info on the subjects taught, what the project involves.
    I also heard there are mandatory and elective subjects, how does this work? What's the workload like, are there many labs, is continuous assesment a big % of your final result etc

I've a level 7 degree in Computer/Electronic eng but have been out of the education system for years and I've forgot most of what I learnt :)....I do like the look of the course but not 100% sure...

I looked on GMIT website but details are sketchy and I live a long way from Castlebar so dropping in to the college for a chat is not an option...

Many thanks,
    Cathal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Sorry to drag up old post but Im am also looking at doing this course next year.Did you end up doing it?I have a few questions if so.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CathalF

I did go on the course but left after 3 weeks.

One problem was there was a big emphasis on the two IT Management type subjects which I hated. The other issue was I lacked a lot of the knowledge that was assumed for the honours degree year (mainly databases and router configuration).... There just wasn't not enough time to catch up by doing back learning since we were also under pressure come up with a proposal for an IT project that had to be tackled immediately. Since this course is the 4th year of an honours degree, others who had been studying this material for 3 years previously had a big advantage over me.

The lecturers were a mixed bunch - most were consciencious and couldn't do enough for you, but a minority were sloppy - they knew their stuff but were poor at explaining it.

I thought the college computer/IT facilities were good and in general the college is a nice friendly place.
    Also, don't take as gospel the subjects mentioned on the website - the actual subjects you'll cover will differ somewhat. It looks like the website info on the course is rarely updated.

I would say to be comfortable doing this course you would need to have a sound theoretical and working knowlege of Access and Postgres Sql databases, be able to configure Cisco routers and have some experience with software & operating system Virtualisation.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

CathalF wrote: »
    I did go on the course but left after 3 weeks.

One problem was there was a big emphasis on the two IT Management type subjects which I hated. The other issue was I lacked a lot of the knowledge that was assumed for the honours degree year (mainly databases and router configuration).... There just wasn't not enough time to catch up by doing back learning since we were also under pressure come up with a proposal for an IT project that had to be tackled immediately. Since this course is the 4th year of an honours degree, others who had been studying this material for 3 years previously had a big advantage over me.

The lecturers were a mixed bunch - most were consciencious and couldn't do enough for you, but a minority were sloppy - they knew their stuff but were poor at explaining it.

I thought the college computer/IT facilities were good and in general the college is a nice friendly place.
    Also, don't take as gospel the subjects mentioned on the website - the actual subjects you'll cover will differ somewhat. It looks like the website info on the course is rarely updated.

I would say to be comfortable doing this course you would need to have a sound theoretical and working knowlege of Access and Postgres Sql databases, be able to configure Cisco routers and have some experience with software & operating system Virtualisation.

Good luck.
    Ill have to email and find out more I suppose.Im currently doing Computers and Digital media 3rd year.
    Its has SQL next sesmester and done networking this sesmester configed routhers for vlans dchp and dns severs.
    What was the two IT managment type subjects you hated.
    Thanks for the help.

Advertisement