Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mooney goes wild nestwatch 2014 bluetit

• 14-05-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Sorry if posted already I looked and couldn't find it. I have been watching this nest on and off for last 20 hrs or so and it seems only the female is feeding the chicks. Is this normal? I thought the male feeds them as well but haven't seen him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Sorry if posted already I looked and couldn't find it. I have been watching this nest on and off for last 20 hrs or so and it seems only the female is feeding the chicks. Is this normal? I thought the male feeds them as well but haven't seen him.

He should be feeding them too as far as I'm aware.Hopefully he hasn't fallen prey to a cat or sparrowhawk.The female should be able to look after the chicks on her own,but it would certainly take its toll on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are you sure they are not taking it in turns?. Telling female from male in Bluetits is often extremely difficult.

I've been watching on and off all morning and it seems to be just the one parent sitting on the nest and going outside at intervals to bring back food. I haven't seen a second adult at any stage so I'm getting worried. It's unlikely she could feed them on her own as they get bigger, - certainly not the entire brood.
    We'll see what Derek has to say about it today. Hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Only the female will now sit on the nest, with the male taking turns feeding. Do you know that the bird that comes in to feed is definitely always the female, and how? You won't see both birds in the nest now.
    Anyway, let's see what Mooney says.

Derek says both parents were in the garden this morning so all is well:).

• Advertisement

Bad news today about the little blue tits - no survivors. It's sad but that's reality I suppose. I'm so disappointed cos I really loved following their progress. And they seemed to be doing so well. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Oh no, that's such a shame. One of ours seems not to have made it either, probably the one that hatched two days late. The remaining 6 seem happy enough so far (touch wood!) although as they said on the report there, the really heavy rain we've been having recently meant it was difficult for the parents to get out and find food. We could clearly see the female sitting in the nest during the day when it was raining really hard.

Advertisement