Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the LC for Primary Teaching

Options
  • 14-05-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello all!
    Just have a quick question that I hope sometime can help clarify.
    So, I really want to do Primary Teaching. However, I am currently doing OL Irish. I've decided to re-sit my LC exam next year (currently in 6th year) and go back up to OL in not only Irish but two other subjects also as I am eager to receive high points and didn't take points into consideration last year when choosing to drop down to OL subjects. Anyways, I read on Qualifax that for Mary Immaculate, your minimum grades in Irish, Maths and English can be carried forward from previous Leaving Certificate(s). But then it states that ''the requirement to achieve a minimum of Grade C3 on three (3) Higher Level papers and Grade D3 in three (3) other subjects (Higher or Ordinary Level) must be obtained in a single sitting of the Leaving Certificate Examination.'' <---- This, I'm not following. Does that mean that I can only choose 3 grades from this years LC or next years? Can I choose between either next and pick the best grades from either 2014/2015? So confused! Sorry if this sounds stupid. Any answers would be really appreciated! x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Jade104 wrote: »
    So, I really want to do Primary Teaching. However, I am currently doing OL Irish. I've decided to re-sit my LC exam next year (currently in 6th year) and go back up to HL in not only Irish but two other subjects also as I am eager to receive high points and didn't take points into consideration last year when choosing to drop down to OL subjects.

What are the maximum points you can get this year? Please study your butt off for the next 3 weeks. You never know, if you obtain the points for primary this year, you may only have to sit Irish next year. How are you at Irish? Why did you drop down? You need to realise that the standard of Irish at Mary I/Marino is amazing. My friends who obtained an A1 in their Leaving cert say there are people 10 times better than time/fluent speakers. You need to be somewhat capable in the subject to do well. However I find once you grasp the grammar, the rest should follow and a C3 is attainable if you work hard.

Yes that is true. Your GRADES can be carried forward(NOT the points for those subjects) i.e you need to pass maths and english, and get a C3 in order to be considered for a place. Basically for points you can't pick and choose, and if you repeat, you will have to sit 6 Leaving Cert subjects.

"
    Anyways, I read on Qualifax that for Mary Immaculate, your minimum grades in Irish, Maths and English can be carried forward from previous Leaving Certificate(s). But then it states that ''the requirement to achieve a minimum of Grade C3 on three (3) Higher Level papers and Grade D3 in three (3) other subjects (Higher or Ordinary Level) must be obtained in a single sitting of the Leaving Certificate Examination.''

Wont you need higher than 3 C3s and 3D3's to get the points anyway? Thats only 315 points. So i wouldnt worry about it.

Basically, if you resit to get the points and the Irish requirement, you need to repeat 6 subjects. You may take up subjects to replace English/Maths if you pass them this year. Those 6 subjects should be Higher but you could get away with having 5 if you are good at the others. Just please fill out your CAO to give yourself options in August. Repeating may seem okay now, but it may not be when all your friends are delighted they got their points.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

But then it states that ''the requirement to achieve a minimum of Grade C3 on three (3) Higher Level papers and Grade D3 in three (3) other subjects (Higher or Ordinary Level) must be obtained in a single sitting of the Leaving Certificate Examination.'' <---- This, I'm not following. Does that mean that I can only choose 3 grades from this years LC or next years? Can I choose between either next and pick the best grades from either 2014/2015? So confused! Sorry if this sounds stupid. Any answers would be really appreciated!

Basically, if you get the grades that are needed for the entry requirements this year, you can repeat whatever 6 subjects you want next year in order to obtain the points. :) So if you get a C3 in Irish this year, you don't have to sit Irish at all next year. Same with English and Maths. The only exception to this is Medicine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jade104

''What are the maximum points you can get this year? Please study your butt off for the next 3 weeks. You never know, if you obtain the points for primary this year, you may only have to sit Irish next year. How are you at Irish? Why did you drop down? You need to realise that the standard of Irish at Mary I/Marino is amazing. My friends who obtained an A1 in their Leaving cert say there are people 10 times better than time/fluent speakers. You need to be somewhat capable in the subject to do well. However I find once you grasp the grammar, the rest should follow and a C3 is attainable if you work hard.''

Yes that is true. Your GRADES can be carried forward(NOT the points for those subjects) i.e you need to pass maths and english, and get a C3 in order to be considered for a place. Basically for points you can't pick and choose, and if you repeat, you will have to sit 6 Leaving Cert subjects.

"

Wont you need higher than 3 C3s and 3D3's to get the points anyway? Thats only 315 points. So i wouldnt worry about it.

Thanks so much for the advice! :)
    I think I'm going to get between 300 and 350. But the points this year are 465 for PT so I don't know how 315 points will be benefit me.

I dropped down to OL Irish in second year as I wasn't able to keep up with the standard of work. After I dropped down, I did so well. I picked up mainly B's but A's weren't a surprise if I got them. This gave me great confidence for 5th and 6th year, but unfortunately I suddenly found Irish really hard. I think it was more to do with the fact that there was so much memorizing involved with the poetry, stories, straith pics etc. Also, my new teacher was so different to my previous teacher. She's fantastic at teaching but I find her very intimidating and often I'm afraid to be wrong as she'll get mad. With my last teacher, I wasn't afraid in the slightest and I managed to work so much better. Maybe that sounds a bit childish, but I've always found that if I have a good relationship with a teacher, I do better. Right now, my Irish isn't so good. In my mocks this year I got a D1. As I said, my standard dropped considerably. However, I think it was due to the fact that I put no effort in :/ I left studying to last minute and just didn't take my work seriously. However, if I'm repeating that will ALL change as my heart is set on teaching.

My plan is to study as much Irish over the summer as I can. (Higher lever work) and then go back to HL next year and get grinds. What do you think? According to my teacher, there really is no difference in OL and HL excepts for a few things. After all, all I need is a C3 and with determination, I may get a bit higher :) Sorry if this is too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jade104

''Basically, if you get the grades that are needed for the entry requirements this year, you can repeat whatever 6 subjects you want next year in order to obtain the points. :) So if you get a C3 in Irish this year, you don't have to sit Irish at all next year. Same with English and Maths. The only exception to this is Medicine. :)''

Ohhh I get it now! Makes so much more sense. Thank you!! x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

''What are the maximum points you can get this year? Please study your butt off for the next 3 weeks. You never know, if you obtain the points for primary this year, you may only have to sit Irish next year. How are you at Irish? Why did you drop down? You need to realise that the standard of Irish at Mary I/Marino is amazing. My friends who obtained an A1 in their Leaving cert say there are people 10 times better than time/fluent speakers. You need to be somewhat capable in the subject to do well. However I find once you grasp the grammar, the rest should follow and a C3 is attainable if you work hard.''

"

Thanks so much for the advice! :)
    I think I'm going to get between 300 and 350. But the points this year are 465 for PT so I don't know how 315 points will be benefit me.

I dropped down to OL Irish in second year as I wasn't able to keep up with the standard of work. After I dropped down, I did so well. I picked up mainly B's but A's weren't a surprise if I got them. This gave me great confidence for 5th and 6th year, but unfortunately I suddenly found Irish really hard. I think it was more to do with the fact that there was so much memorizing involved with the poetry, stories, straith pics etc. Also, my new teacher was so different to my previous teacher. She's fantastic at teaching but I find her very intimidating and often I'm afraid to be wrong as she'll get mad. With my last teacher, I wasn't afraid in the slightest and I managed to work so much better. Maybe that sounds a bit childish, but I've always found that if I have a good relationship with a teacher, I do better. Right now, my Irish isn't so good. In my mocks this year I got a D1. As I said, my standard dropped considerably. However, I think it was due to the fact that I put no effort in :/ I left studying to last minute and just didn't take my work seriously. However, if I'm repeating that will ALL change as my heart is set on teaching.

My plan is to study as much Irish over the summer as I can. (Higher lever work) and then go back to HL next year and get grinds. What do you think? According to my teacher, there really is no difference in OL and HL excepts for a few things. After all, all I need is a C3 and with determination, I may get a bit higher :) Sorry if this is too long!

Dont forget there are other routes into Primary teaching. You could do Arts in Mary I, and you could then do that Hibernia course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 nmol

Jade104 wrote:
    Hello all! Just have a quick question that I hope sometime can help clarify. So, I really want to do Primary Teaching. However, I am currently doing OL Irish. I've decided to re-sit my LC exam next year (currently in 6th year) and go back up to OL in not only Irish but two other subjects also as I am eager to receive high points and didn't take points into consideration last year when choosing to drop down to OL subjects. Anyways, I read on Qualifax that for Mary Immaculate, your minimum grades in Irish, Maths and English can be carried forward from previous Leaving Certificate(s). But then it states that ''the requirement to achieve a minimum of Grade C3 on three (3) Higher Level papers and Grade D3 in three (3) other subjects (Higher or Ordinary Level) must be obtained in a single sitting of the Leaving Certificate Examination.''

Mary I are doing an access course into teaching.. they do leaving cert honours irish and honours English.. and if you pass that then u automatically get onto the degree ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 griffin246

i also want to do primary teaching in Mary I but i only got 400 points so im thinking of repeating, i got my C3 in HL irish but i did OL maths, and there has been talk of making HL maths mandatory for primary teachers, does anyone know if that is coming in for 2014/2015 Lc, I tried HL maths and couldnt do it! and i only put arts down for galway and maynooth but really want to go to limerick now!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

griffin246 wrote: »
    i also want to do primary teaching in Mary I but i only got 400 points so im thinking of repeating, i got my C3 in HL irish but i did OL maths, and there has been talk of making HL maths mandatory for primary teachers, does anyone know if that is coming in for 2014/2015 Lc, I tried HL maths and couldnt do it! and i only put arts down for galway and maynooth but really want to go to limerick now!

Ask your career guidance counselor. But I suspect that if this was the case for the 2015 LC, they'd have said it last year, as it's a two year course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sinead18

griffin246 wrote: »

I'm hoping to do primary teaching also but don't worry the HL maths won't be coming into affect this year if you do repeat anyway, we were reassured by all the counsellors, as it was not decided on before last year so any prospective primary school students in 5th year wouldn't have known, don't worry it won't be coming into affect any time too soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Simplyzara13

Id love to her how you got on im in the same boat with irish my email simplyzara13@gmail.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement