Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new gardening blog

• 14-05-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Mods feel free to remove if its not allowed but I've been working on my blog for the last few weeks so I'd thought I'd share it with you all.

My latest post is on slugs + snails, my next is on sweet potatoes.

any feedback is welcomed.

http://coastalgreenfingers.weebly.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Fair play to you, there's a power of work gone into that. Nice layout and the info is top notch. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Stressica wrote: »
    Mods feel free to remove if its not allowed but I've been working on my blog for the last few weeks so I'd thought I'd share it with you all.

My latest post is on slugs + snails, my next is on sweet potatoes.

any feedback is welcomed.

Great Blog, well done. keep it up.

My favourite Tip is the Egg-Shells, I have a slug problem and was struggling to come up with a non-chemical solution, as the produce is for our own consumption.

So if the Slugs want a Beer, they can buy it themselves, we are now eating more eggs, and saving the Shells.

many thanks for that tip alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Fantastic blog you have going there. Very informative and laid out nicely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

martinn123 wrote: »
    Great Blog, well done. keep it up.

My favourite Tip is the Egg-Shells, I have a slug problem and was struggling to come up with a non-chemical solution, as the produce is for our own consumption.

So if the Slugs want a Beer, they can buy it themselves, we are now eating more eggs, and saving the Shells.

many thanks for that tip alone.

Ya I went mad with the beer traps (20l of tacky homebrew beer to be used!).. So I put out 3 traps every night and sure enough they were full by the morning.

I get the feeling though that the beer was attracting slugs and snails alright... from all the neighbours gardens into mine..

Only way is to go out after 11pm with a shovel and chop away like a madman.

I think the frost killed a lot of em off last year, but this year with the mild winter they're back with a vengeance now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

Interesting blog, well done!

Were the pumpkins pictured in your contact page grown outdoors? Would love to grow some but thinking climate is too cold here?

Is there a new posts alert that I can subscribe to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Hi and thank you all for the great feedback, appreciated.

Yes, those pumpkins were all grown outdoors, it was my first year and tbh I didn't pick any specif variety and just wanted pumpkins for soup and Halloween, but they grew very well and stored well too! This year I'm growing some more specific varieties.

I've just added a new button where readers can now subscribe :)

Plus there are 2 new posts up today on Tomatoes, and nature at work etc.

If anyone subscribed Id appreciate if you let me know if you get the emails or not just so I know they're working (I did a test post to my sister and I's emails and they went through fine) They did go in my Facebook folder for some reason so just check all folders I guess

Happy Growing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

new blog posts and a quick survey if anyone would like to complete it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Another few tips for slugs: seaweed, coarse sand/gravel, porridge oats. These last two help 'dry' out the slug and prevents them from trailing over it.

Advertisement