Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do any of you use Background App Refresh?

• 14-05-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭

Never really used it since it came to iOS 7. Does it work well & can you give me some real world examples of how it helps you or works for you? Also is it as bad for battery life as people say?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Nope turned it off when I first saw it in a beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, there are certain uses I have for it:

Podcasts - I use the Pocket Casts app. I'll get a notification that a new episode of Podcast X is available, and the app will use that notification to start downloading it for me. By the time I've launched the app, Podcast X is downloading, or fully downloaded.

Instapaper - No more opening the app, waiting for it to download my articles and then reading them. I open the app and they're already downloaded, which is great if I'm somewhere with bad reception.

iOS Weather App - no more swiping to refresh because the app already refreshed in the background.

I can't say I've noticed a battery hit since upgrading to iOS 7. Even if I did, I'm near a charger often enough not to worry about it. I like these features enough to leave them running all the time, and they're pretty handy, especially the podcasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

One of the best features from iOS 7. Only app I have it switched off for is Facebook as it misbehaves. Other than that the benefits totally outweigh zero negatives for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

So would this keep your Twitter feed up to date instead of waiting a few secs for it to load upon app launch for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

So would this keep your Twitter feed up to date instead of waiting a few secs for it to load upon app launch for example?

The official Twitter app isn't supported. I had Mailbox added for this but opened the app and had to refresh manually to get my new mail so was wondering if anyone actually got use out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, Tweetbot does this.

Advertisement