Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to practice catching?

• 14-05-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Does any one have any advice on catching?(sliothar) . I practice on the wall for a good hour everyday and I'm able to catch no problem but when training or in a game the ball just won't stay in my hand. Is there any advice on what to do? Is there any other drills to help practice? Even when I'm going for a ball uncontested the ball wont stay in my hand. How do I correct this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

deadybai wrote: »
    Hey,
    Does any one have any advice on catching?(sliothar) . I practice on the wall for a good hour everyday and I'm able to catch no problem but when training or in a game the ball just won't stay in my hand. Is there any advice on what to do? Is there any other drills to help practice? Even when I'm going for a ball uncontested the ball wont stay in my hand. How do I correct this?

Swop the wall for another player who wants to practise catching. Puck it over and back from a variety of distances. Also practise on the run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

endacl wrote: »
    Swop the wall for another player who wants to practise catching. Puck it over and back from a variety of distances. Also practise on the run.

Yeah I do this when I am at training but i still cant catch the fecking thing. Ive only returned playing after a lengthy absence so I am understandably rusty but Ive been back since the beginning of the year. Its starting to annoy me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's all I've got really...

It's a practical skill. You can really only improve it by doing it. What was your catching before the absence?

endacl wrote: »
    That's all I've got really...

It's a practical skill. You can really only improve it by doing it. What was your catching before the absence?

I was quite good at it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Hey deadybai,
    Great to hear you're practicing so often. That's crucial (especially for hurling!).

Everybody is different but a key aspect of catching the ball during play is:
    1. confidence - you are 100% going to catch the ball. Believe in yourself.
    2. eye coordination - keeping your eye on the ball and nothing else. You catch with your eyes!
    3. focus - all your attention is on possession of the ball. DO NOT think of the next move/pass/shot etc. That comes after you have full control of the ball.

You're definitely on the right track. Practice, practice, practice. Even Henry Shefflin doesn't catch the ball every time but it's how he reacts that makes him a great player. Maith an fear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

In a game situation in Gaa I sometimes think what Im gonna do next right before I catch the ball, which sometimes results in me fumbling it . Never take your eye off the ball. Its just going to take a bit of practice and it will come back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Its an issue with your concentration and an element of anxiety. If you can catch it over and over again from the wall then you should be able to catch it in play. Do you panic slightly when under a high ball? Can you catch the sliothar from a simple hand pass? Do you get distracted or are you thinking of your next move before you catch the sliothar? Are you spending more time thinking about what your opponent might do instead of what you are going to do?

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Its an issue with your concentration and an element of anxiety. If you can catch it over and over again from the wall then you should be able to catch it in play. Do you panic slightly when under a high ball? Can you catch the sliothar from a simple hand pass? Do you get distracted or are you thinking of your next move before you catch the sliothar? Are you spending more time thinking about what your opponent might do instead of what you are going to do?

Yeah I think it might be a confidence thing. The more I don't catch it the more its on my mind and so on. Also it could be thinking about what my opponent is going to do. I often try to remind myself of his positioning while the ball is in the air. When we are doing short passing drills I can catch the ball most the time, so its just a high ball thing . Is there any drills I can practice on my own? I only really have time to practice with someone else at training. Or is there any way of clearing my mind when going for the high ball?

Also in a match would ya recommend trying to catch it? Or just break the ball? Should I just keep breaking it until I come good at catching or should I try catch?

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I cant offer you much advice except to keep doing what you are doing and it will come to you. After all you are only just back playing so you cant expect to be great at everything straight away. If you are more confident with a ball on the ground then maybe you should break the ball until you get back into your stride.

Advertisement