Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restorative Yoga

Options
  • 14-05-2014 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi All, I'm thinking about taking up yoga and would be grateful if anyone can offer me some advice.

I've suffered a fair bit of trauma in my life and as a result of this my body and mind have been overwhelmed and I suffer from depression. I'm seeking a yoga that can help me relax my mind and enjoy the moment as well as heal my soul/spirit/mind/body (I know it's a lot too ask for!) as it's pretty damaged. I was thinking about taking some Restorative yoga, is there a place in Dublin that anyone will recommend?

Is there anything else within the Yoga world that may help?

Just too add two other things, I've started reading into mindfulness to help calm myself and enjoy the moment. Also, my back can be a bit sore so I'll need something that isn't too strenuous initially, I'm also overweight by quite a bit and 33 years old.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Icecap

Hi
    I've been doing Bikram two or three times a week for a few years , and I have found it to be quite transformative. It has gotten rid of fatique and negativity , made me much fitter and stronger, lowered my heart rate and improved my lung capacity.
    It's practised in a hot room, so the heat takes a bit of getting used to.
    After I'd been practising for a while, I joined a ( separate ) meditation class. I felt that the Bikram had improved my psychical condition to an extent that it allowed me to meditate more effectively , in that I could sit still and wasn't distracted by psychical aches and discomfort.

The two together are a great antidote to depression.

Makesurecyou find a senior , experienced teacher. The younger ones ( in Bikram anyway ) can be a bit too hung ho, and if you are starting from very low fitness you need to take care not to overdo it.
    Good luck ,it will make a new person of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Advertisement