Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Kevin's Asylum - is it accessible?

Options
  • 14-05-2014 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I've always been interested in exploring and having a look around old derelict buildings, and it was my first time driving up to St. Kevin's & St. Anne's today. I got to have a look around St. Anne's (outside only, no way in - all boarded up) but when I came up the road by the new Carrigmore facility, there were gates at the entrance to St. Kevin's! Is this only a recent development? I know loads of people who got to go inside and got to look through all the wards & rooms etc. - is there any other way in to get a look? by foot?

Would also love to know any other derelict buildings in Cork to have a nosy around too!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I live up there at the moment, and although it is possible to get onto the grounds, it is not possible to access the interior of the derelict half of St Annes or St Kevins buildings themselves (nor has it been for some time afaik). St Annes is all fenced off and does have security guys and cctv, St Kevins is secured with metal shutters over the windows, and the tunnels are bricked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

I live up there at the moment, and although it is possible to get onto the grounds, it is not possible to access the interior of the derelict half of St Annes or St Kevins buildings themselves (nor has it been for some time afaik). St Annes is all fenced off and does have security guys and cctv, St Kevins is secured with metal shutters over the windows, and the tunnels are bricked up.

Yeah I was around the grounds of St. Annes today, CCTV everywhere and very well protected by the looks of it.

How could I go about getting onto the grounds of St. Kevin's? There were silver gates at the entrance up by the new mental health facility with a sign saying NO DUMPING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If you go through the back entrance to the estate from the blarney road you can go through a fence and walk about 10 minutes and you can get into the grounds. Whether you can access the actual buildings I don't know but have seen a few openings from time to time while walking the dog.

Cool, will definitely try that. have you been inside? is it fairly safe or are there junkies inside/around the area? also, how stable is the premises?

Perfectly safe. No junkies or anything. I've not been inside the buildings.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »

Glad to hear that. I know I have seen a couple of messers (teens) around the site but I'd say they are fairly harmless once you leave them alone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Could someone point out on a map where you can get access to St. Kevins. Would love to have a look around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

that red brick building (st kevins) is decaying,trees literally growing out through various different windows,i am up for a trip if any other boardsies are.

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    that red brick building (st kevins) is decaying,trees literally growing out through various different windows,i am up for a trip if any other boardsies are.

I'm up for that!

FYI the easier entrance to St Kevins is blocked off now and has been for quite some time. Pain in the ass tbh as its where I used walk my dog.

Access is still possible, but you will need to go in via the Blarney Road side of the Ard Sionnach Estate.

• Advertisement

right so myself and SAM MAC are in and i nominate gimmick as navigator:D

When are ye going? Ill bring the dog.

When are ye going? Ill bring the dog.

PM sent gimmick

PM sent gimmick

Me too please!!

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Me too please!!

you're already included check the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

100% wrong. There are needles everywhere up there.

yenom wrote: »
    did you visit recently?

I walked round there literally hundreds of times and never seen a needle.

That's not to say there isn't any. I just be surprised is all.

I walked round there literally hundreds of times and never seen a needle.

That's not to say there isn't any. I just be surprised is all.

I have seen loads of them up there, just outside the red bricked building.

I have seen loads of them up there, just outside the red bricked building.

how recent?there was a major clean up outside that building recently enough

• Advertisement

how recent?there was a major clean up outside that building recently enough

About three months back. It's good they've cleaned it up.

The building is getting worse!decay is advancing!!!trees growing through the structurr of it,so who is serious about a visit then???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Im well up for one but it is hit and miss to get in.Have tried many times but never managed it

Milly33 wrote: »
    Im well up for one but it is hit and miss to get in.Have tried many times but never managed it

Gimmick is the man for it,look back through the thread i think he is up for it anyway

Ah sure that's only to get on the grounds we need people with something to get those iron doors off haha.. well if ye do plan let me know, Yeah the gate was blocked the last time we went up too so as gimmick says you would have to go around the back way...

Ah sure that's only to get on the grounds we need people with something to get those iron doors off haha.. well if ye do plan let me know, Yeah the gate was blocked the last time we went up too so as gimmick says you would have to go around the back way...

Are they boarded up with same type of shutter as the corporation use?thats what is certainly looks like from the county hall,if so there's no chance of getting in!its a major health snd safety issue inside i believe,the back way as in down by the old our lady's entrance or the lee road?

Id say so, they are big metal sheets id say bolted from the inside..If you had a huge ladder haha we could get in the top windows but yeah I don't see that happening without us being caught haha

Id say so, they are big metal sheets id say bolted from the inside..If you had a huge ladder haha we could get in the top windows but yeah I don't see that happening without us being caught haha
    i agree,steel chains and bolts no doubt!that building is so bad a ladder might do damage to it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Word has it from a certain Neil Prendeville this place is now completely inaccessible!as in the grounds,i am well aware the building is secured!

• Advertisement

KC161 wrote: »
    Word has it from a certain Neil Prendeville this place is now completely inaccessible!as in the grounds,i am well aware the building is secured!

was it on the radio?

Advertisement