Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Kevin's Asylum - is it accessible?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Sam Mac wrote: »
    was it on the radio?

yes on RedFM yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

KC161 wrote: »
    yes on RedFM yesterday

what were they talking about? regarding the premises

about it being haunted and being interested in doing an overnight there,clearly for health and safety reasons that's nt possible,but there is a dispute over whether or not even the grounds are now accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CorkyLFC

KC161 wrote: »
    about it being haunted and being interested in doing an overnight there,clearly for health and safety reasons that's nt possible,but there is a dispute over whether or not even the grounds are now accessible

Well The KC Show that does be on before Neil sent three of the Red Fm staff up to it the night before and they gained access and recorded their trip up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

CorkyLFC wrote: »
    Well The KC Show that does be on before Neil sent three of the Red Fm staff up to it the night before and they gained access and recorded their trip up.

Is that on the website?

• Advertisement

CorkyLFC wrote: »

Only heard what a caller said

Anyone up for a visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I am always up for a trip there!! whoop most defo... The last time we went up the gate was padlocked so not sure how to get in there, there is a way around the back of it but have never gone in that way

Milly33 wrote: »
    I am always up for a trip there!! whoop most defo... The last time we went up the gate was padlocked so not sure how to get in there, there is a way around the back of it but have never gone in that way

count me in also,but clearly a few (5 or 6) might be better??? judging from the thread the OP is also interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Shpongler

• Advertisement

yeah he was lucky enough to get let in.... ok right we shall arrange a date, tis fine to walk around the grounds the security people don't seem to have any problem with that... Does anyone know how to get in from the back (haha no pun intended)

yeah he was lucky enough to get let in.... ok right we shall arrange a date, tis fine to walk around the grounds the security people don't seem to have any problem with that... Does anyone know how to get in from the back (haha no pun intended)

is the old our ladys entrance on the shanakiel side still accessible then???I think there is security on the lee road side,or at least there was

Yeah id say that is the one, I have only ever seen the path as such that comes in behind Kevins. Saw a few kids walking down there.. The security is still there, but they are fine they are just sitting there in a car for most of it. Went up twice and they were there and just said we wanted to go in for a walk around, not a bother..The only thing was the last time the gate going up to the building had a padlock on it so you couldn't get far

Yeah id say that is the one, I have only ever seen the path as such that comes in behind Kevins. Saw a few kids walking down there.. The security is still there, but they are fine they are just sitting there in a car for most of it. Went up twice and they were there and just said we wanted to go in for a walk around, not a bother..The only thing was the last time the gate going up to the building had a padlock on it so you couldn't get far

so you cannot go right upto the building anymore???I knew the interior of the building was not accessible.i walked through those grounds for years,whilst the place did interest me,it didn't as much as it does now,primarily because it was still being used,the last time I was on the grounds of it was in the summer of 2003

well you can if you can get in the back way, or if maybe if the lock was broken.. tell ya well head up next weekend and have looksee and ill report back..

Just went for a look on the Shanakiel side,I cannot find one access point they blocked off 2 that i knew of

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Urbex

I was in there yesterday lads there's a gap in the fence at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Urbex wrote: »
    I was in there yesterday lads there's a gap in the fence at the back.

whereabouts? is this by the housing estate in shanakiel? get to see much?

This is just to get into the grounds is it not the actual building

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Urbex

This is just to get into the grounds is it not the actual building

Yup I tried to get into the building but the place is locked up tight, I'm sure there's a way in somewhere though.

• Advertisement

I see, ah there are a few ways alright to get onto the grounds.. normally if the security are there you can just say you want to walk around for a look they don't mind...

Tis hit and miss getting in there...

there's a right of way through that land,as for the building,if you had a fireman's ladder or even 2 of them then you can get in through the window's probably,which I don't advocate BTW,that aside she's more secure than a bankers pension

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Probably a lot of bad flooring in there so if you do go snoop through the building mind your footing...

Yes the flooring is after getting worse so to be honest I wouldn't be too sure about going in there anymore

give it another few years now and we'll have apple trees growing up through the centre of the building,they may be able to protect what is left of the inside of it but the outside is in poor condition

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newbie H

On fire now.

Newbie H wrote: »
    On fire now.

Just in the door from it.

Got right up next to the building, what an absolute pity. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Was always going to happen unfortunately. A beautiful, majestic, and standout building in this country that was left to fall into ruins.
    A very sad history obviously with a bit of luck this is the first step to getting it properly fixed up into townhouses and appartmens.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Was always going to happen unfortunately. A beautiful, majestic, and standout building in this country that was left to fall into ruins.
    A very sad history obviously with a bit of luck this is the first step to getting it properly fixed up into townhouses and appartmens.

The fire started on the top floor apparently, there were people squatting in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Newbie H

What is the old grey building to the left of it?

Advertisement