Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geoecology - leaving cert geography help

• 14-05-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Is it possible to just study the biomes section of geoecology for geography or is it also necessary to study the soils section? Do you get a choice between the two in the exam papers? Help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

History will show us that, they always made sure to ask at least one of each. Either two biome questions, one soil question - vice versa.

However, they can put three questions per geoecology section - it would upset the status quo of LC Geography students, but Ruairi Quinn has instructed the SEC to make the courses unpredictable.

I don't see this happening though. You choose whatever suits. Know of both biome & soil, and focus on one in particular. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bananaheadrach

We have always been warned NOT to bank on just one of them. Even though that history does show that they always ask both of them, they could turn very tasty and just ask about the one.

Our teacher tells us to learn one in detail and then two parts of the other one. That way you are definitely covered.

They've neglected biomes for 2 years by only placing one question in 2013/12. If anything, they will ask two-three biome questions if that was going to happen. It's only an educated guess. Teachers say a lot of things, and can be wrong.

Biome:Soil .. (2013) 1:2, (2012) 1:2, (2011) 2:1, (2010) 1:2, (2009) 1:2, (2008) 2:1, (2007) 1:2, (2006) 2:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jane smith

has anyone got anything on what may be tipped to come up this year
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 FunkyOxygen

Have seen these heavily predicted on various sites and from various different teachers not to mention some of them appeared on this years mocks
    Biome: Plant and animal adaptations
    Characteristics of a biome
    Economic activities altering a biome

Soil: Characteristics of a soil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Human interaction with soil is my prediction along with characteristics of a soil type and characteristics of a biome.

I'll take those soil predictions as a backup if they ask three of one section (I hope not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 teach432

The Geoecology section is quite short as it is. Study all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jane smith

regional geography ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

teach432 wrote: »
    The Geoecology section is quite short as it is. Study all of it.

Do you think there's any need though? Like a soil /biome HAS to come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 seanlennon2015

Hi how many possible question come up in the Geogecology Section ? getting confused alot !

I've counted eight between soil & biome.. was told to avoid one question in soil (conservation). Could vary slightly from student, to student. Three questions are asked on the exam.

Does anyone know what one is more likely to come up this year ?

Biomes, given that only one biome question has come up in the past two years. I believe there are 3 biome answers, you should be sorted with that.

what are the biomes Questions ?

Characteristics of a Biome, Human Activities affecting a Biome.. & Adaption of Plants and Animals to a Biome. The popular biome of choice seems to be tropical rain forests.

is that just charactheristic and human interference ?

I guess - they could ask you to go in depth with soil type, vegetation, animal life & climate. Plants & Animals was the choice I was given.

aww right ok thanks sooo much !! :)

Advertisement