Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share internet between two houses?

Options
  • 14-05-2014 7:27pm

My Uncle lives next door to me in terraced houses. What's the best way to share my internet connection with him? At the moment he can connect wirelessly but I was hoping for something a lot more stable.

I suppose powerline stuff won't work because it's two different houses. Is my best option some sort of repeater to amplify the signal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I presume drilling a hole through the wall is out of the question?

Bear in mind that it could be dangerous to run an Ethernet cable through the wall. If both houses are on different electrical phases then it can become a fire hazard. Same applies with sharing a satellite dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Move your modem as close to his computer as you can. Then get someone to make you an extra long Ethernet cable. Then drill through the wall or go up through the attic. I've seen it done room to room from downstairs to upstairs in a house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Run the link over a bit of fibre to be super-safe

These kind of things :

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Fiber-Ethernet-Converter-MCM110SC2/dp/B002Q0WMWQ

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What is wrong with wifi? If you are that close, it should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What is wrong with wifi? If you are that close, it should work.

This. I gave my neighbours my wifi password. They could get a repeater if necessary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But if you give them a cable, they will not even need a password. At least with wifi, you can change the password.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Karsini wrote: »
    Bear in mind that it could be dangerous to run an Ethernet cable through the wall. If both houses are on different electrical phases then it can become a fire hazard. Same applies with sharing a satellite dish.

Im curious about this, I have seen posts in the past saying the same, but I'm just not sure how it would happen, as the signals passing through ethernet are low voltage dc. Its very common in industrial settings to have it cabinets running off different phases, i have seen many of these wired with ethernet to each other directly with any barriers or isolators. The only thing I can think of is maybe an earth loop, but I dont think standard ethernet has a ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

imitation wrote: »
    Im curious about this, I have seen posts in the past saying the same, but I'm just not sure how it would happen, as the signals passing through ethernet are low voltage dc. Its very common in industrial settings to have it cabinets running off different phases, i have seen many of these wired with ethernet to each other directly with any barriers or isolators. The only thing I can think of is maybe an earth loop, but I dont think standard ethernet has a ground.

Im no electrician but as I understand it you could have a situation where somebody got shocked but the RCD wouldnt trigger. Normally these means current stops after a few milliseconds but it would continue if the RCD didnt trigger.

If you post it on the electrical forum I'm sure you'll get a detailed answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Check the TOS with your provider before 'sharing' your internet with another residence. I'm sure they won't appreciate losing potential revenue.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Check the TOS with your provider before 'sharing' your internet with another residence. I'm sure they won't appreciate losing potential revenue.

Personally, I couldn't give less of a fcuk. That's not aimed at you. I'll just share my wifi with any friend I want to. If my provider want to take me to court over it, sure let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Our ethernet cable runs through a hole drilled in the wall. It was installed by an Eircom electrician. I doubt it's that dangerous.

Khannie wrote: »
    Personally, I couldn't give less of a fcuk. That's not aimed at you. I'll just share my wifi with any friend I want to. If my provider want to take me to court over it, sure let them.

So if your 'friends' download illegal material on your service, you will own up to the judge?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

So if your 'friends' download illegal material on your service, you will own up to the judge?

Surely s/he meant s/he doesn't give a toss if the supplier doesn't want to loose revenue?

Not about someone potentially committing a crime using her/his service.

They're not interested / not the sort. They have netflix and they were streaming it over their mobiles. I told them not to bother and gave them the wifi password.

To answer your question though - Why in the name of God would I own up to something I didn't do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Karsini wrote: »

How's that?
    I have 3 phase installation in my house, so even socket in one room might be on different phase than socket in other room.
    And I do have devices connected by ethernet cabke nearly in every room, so surely they are on different phases.
    Does this bring any danger? I just can't see how.

To those sharing broadband with neighbours, why not share your electricity, gas, water? Sure it is harder to achieve but is it any less immoral?

HAHAHAHA. Morality? That's your argument? Never even crossed my mind. When my sister comes to my house and asks if she can use my wifi, should I deny her on morality grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I gave my neighbour some sugar the other day . . . now I feel so guilty . . .

HAHAHAHA. Morality? That's your argument? Never even crossed my mind. When my sister comes to my house and asks if she can use my wifi, should I deny her on morality grounds?

Hahahaha... No. That would be stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To those sharing broadband with neighbours, why not share your electricity, gas, water? Sure it is harder to achieve but is it any less immoral?

If somebody wanted to share water, electric etc, thats purely up to them.
    At the end of the day the service is still being paid for.

If I have chickens and I give free eggs to people am I morally wrong as the shops are loosing a customer?
    :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote: »
    If somebody wanted to share water, electric etc, thats purely up to them.
    At the end of the day the service is still being paid for.

If I have chickens and I give free eggs to people am I morally wrong as the shops are loosing a customer?
    :rolleyes:

Yeah you're right. Share away lads. Sorry for being a party pooper...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If I was paying a fixed monthly charge for my electricity I probably would share with a friend next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

If I was paying a fixed monthly charge for my electricity I probably would share with a friend next door.

I'd share with the whole estate

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

WiFi would be the easiest solution. The attic might be worth a look, you might get a better signal because of less walls to go through.

The wifi router you get from your ISP isn't all that great, you could pick up a much more powerful one that would have no problems getting through the wall. Try and find a place that has the least amount of obstacles between the router and the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Not sure, but I think the differential between the negative wires in the ethernet cable and ground should be 0V. In which case it would be an earth loop issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

As mentioned, Electricians would be able to offer solid advice on this, but there are potential (:pac:) issues with connecting two buildings via Ethernet cable.
    See this discussion:
    http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=121299

• ScumLord wrote: »
    WiFi would be the easiest solution. The attic might be worth a look, you might get a better signal because of less walls to go through.

The wifi router you get from your ISP isn't all that great, you could pick up a much more powerful one that would have no problems getting through the wall. Try and find a place that has the least amount of obstacles between the router and the laptop.

I have Eircom eFibre so do I need a VSDL modem then? Thank you by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

CiniO wrote: »
    How's that?
    I have 3 phase installation in my house, so even socket in one room might be on different phase than socket in other room.
    And I do have devices connected by ethernet cabke nearly in every room, so surely they are on different phases.
    Does this bring any danger? I just can't see how.

Because in your house you have a common earth. Two adjacent houses would each have their own earth. This is a huge safety issue, without a common earth you could end up doubling the voltage if something went wrong. I'm not an electrician, but an electronic engineer,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Advertisement