Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

encrypt my wifi?

Options
  • 14-05-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have satellite broadband with QSat, which i am happy with (a vast improvement on wireless broadband).
    However, when it was installed 2 years ago the engineer said it did not need to be encrypted as we live in an isolated rural area, but now I suspect my neighbors kids are using it.
    How can I password protect it?
    Do I need to call QSat out to do it? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Lofty123 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have satellite broadband with QSat, which i am happy with (a vast improvement on wireless broadband).
    However, when it was installed 2 years ago the engineer said it did not need to be encrypted as we live in an isolated rural area, but now I suspect my neighbors kids are using it.
    How can I password protect it?
    Do I need to call QSat out to do it? :confused:
    No it can be done easily, what's the make / model of your wireless router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Log into your router and add a password.. You should be able to check what devices are online, so if you turn off wifi on everything but your laptop or whatever then you'll see if they're using it, then go in and tell them to stay off your bloody wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GO to router security settings,
    set wifi encryption,on, wpa 2,
    put in a password eg
    WKad156FGn
    mix of capitals ,small letters.
    Write down the password.

http://snaz.com/adding-security-to-your-wifi-network-with-a-mac-white-list/

OR you can also set router to use only router listed mac adress,s ,
    eg mac adresses. from your pc,laptop, phone .

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

Thanks Guys, but...

At the risk of sounding stupid, how do I log into/ go to my router security settings?

Equipment:
    Hughes HN9200 & TP Link TL-WR740N

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

From a command prompt type ipconfig that will show you the default gateway. That is the address of your router. Type that into a browser and it will open the login page. On a tplink the default user is admin password admin. Once connected you can change the password from admin to something more secure.

You will also be able to add wireless security.

When altering any settings it is always best to have the device you are using on mains power and if changing wireless settings to be connected by cable.

You should be able to download the TP Link set up guide if you no longer have the one which came with the router.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you're using Windows:
    1. Type "Command Prompt" in the start menu or go to Accessories > Command Prompt.

2. Type "ipconfig" and hit enter
    You should see a gateway IP address looking something like 192.168.1.1.

3. Navigate to this IP address using your browser.

4. Use the above video for the rest.

I would do this soon so the kids don't use up your usage limits (especially because you're using satellite).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

or Just put 192.168.1.1 into the browser adress field ,click go,see if the router menu appears.
    Most isps, put a user name, password ,on a label, underneath,or at the back of the router case.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will work on it in the morning and let ye know how it goes.

WiFi now successfully password protected, thank you all for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement