Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat saves boy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,060 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Brave wee cat :D

What happened the dog though? As in what made him do it? Wonder if the dog had a bad experience with humans on a bike or something?

Really strange to see a dog attack like that for apparently no reason. Great cat though!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

i'm baffled as to why the dog attacked the child who was minding his own business. The child wasn't even near him and the dog went out of its way to attack him without any warning. quite strange really!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

At 0:40 why the hell did the mother just run off and why was the child playing out in the garden near the road on its own in the first place.
    Extremely strange from the dog to just attack out of nowhere.
    I hate cats but that's a good intelligent cat right there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What happened the dog though? As in what made him do it? Wonder if the dog had a bad experience with humans on a bike or something?
    It was put down.
    We're told the dog was picked up Tuesday by animal control -- in an extremely aggressive state -- and a decision has been made to euthanize the animal.
    At 0:40 why the hell did the mother just run off and why was the child playing out in the garden near the road on its own in the first place.
    The boy's mother, Erica Triantafilo, told NBC affiliate KGET that she was outside at the time and when she tried to chase the dog further away, it bit her, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It's being reported now that the dog will be quarantined for 10 days, then euthanized: http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/amazing-video-cat-saves-boy-from-dog-attack-in-southwest-bakersfield-051414

What a cat! I wonder if either of my two would do the same...

Edit: Nody and I posted at the same time! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

It's being reported now that the dog will be quarantined for 10 days, then euthanized: http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/amazing-video-cat-saves-boy-from-dog-attack-in-southwest-bakersfield-051414

What a cat! I wonder if either of my two would do the same...

Edit: Nody and I posted at the same time! :P

If they are going to euthanize the dog anyway, why quarantine it for 10 days. If it is a carrier for something like rabies, why not just nip it in the bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If they are going to euthanize the dog anyway, why quarantine it for 10 days. If it is a carrier for something like rabies, why not just nip it in the bud.

They probably want to see if it develops anything so that the people can be treated. It's probably cheaper to wait and see if it develops any symptoms rather than doing post mortem tests for every possible illness.

I would imagine that there's something wrong with it, it's very odd for a dog to attack like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Poor dog :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

kylith wrote: »
    They probably want to see if it develops anything so that the people can be treated. It's probably cheaper to wait and see if it develops any symptoms rather than doing post mortem tests for every possible illness.

I would imagine that there's something wrong with it, it's very odd for a dog to attack like that.

Surely blood and throat swabs etc can be done already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Are you f***Ing serious? The dog deserves it if not a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Why????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

GarIT wrote: »
    It's unlikely it's the dog who decided out of the blue to go attack someone and much more likely the owner's who failed to socialize/control/vet check the dog (and I highly doubt this is the first incident with the dog either). I.e. the dog is not the real guilty party here; it's the owners who were responsible for it's health that are the guilty party for failing to actually act like owners (only hope is they get sued for it to prevent them from ever getting a new pet to repeat it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If they are going to euthanize the dog anyway, why quarantine it for 10 days..

He could carry rabies for weeks, have no symptoms and be not much harm, once the rabies reaches the head it won't be long before its in the saliva.

First sign of possible rabies is an animal going for you that normally wouldn't

Nody wrote: »
    It's unlikely it's the dog who decided out of the blue to go attack someone and much more likely the owner's who failed to socialize/control/vet check the dog (and I highly doubt this is the first incident with the dog either). I.e. the dog is not the real guilty party here; it's the owners who were responsible for it's health that are the guilty party for failing to actually act like owners (only hope is they get sued for it to prevent them from ever getting a new pet to repeat it).

You don't know that though. All that is evident is an unprovoked attack!! Finally, one on video.

Dogs can be jerks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

When I read things like this I think its just dog lovers making excuses, dogs shouldn't be allowed be kept in built up areas IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Obviously the cat needed the boy to do something for him later :)

When I read things like this I think its just dog lovers making excuses, dogs shouldn't be allowed be kept in built up areas IMO.

True. If only the same compassion was given to humans. A lot humans commit crimes , become scum , commit abuse from going through rough childhoods. You don't hear many stuck up for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very unusual behavior by the dog, but I'd agree with the sentiment that it's the dogs owners who are in all likelihood at fault here. It's possible though too, that the dog had some bad experience with children/bikes before, but again, the owners should be aware of this & maintain the dog accordingly. I think it's right to euthanize the dog, I know it's a cliche but this really could have been a lot worse for the poor child.

Do you know what's even weirder than the dog attacking though? The cats behavior! I've spent a lot of time around cats over the years, and this apparent 'loyalty in the face of danger' is not a trait I would have associated with their behavioral make-up. It's the kind of thing you'd expect from a dog tbh. Very weird, but awesome as hell at the same time. What a cool cat!

For the record, I'm neither a dog lover nor a cat lover...but an animal lover, so wouldn't be biased towards either pet.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Do you know what's even weirder than the dog attacking though? The cats behavior! I've spent a lot of time around cats over the years, and this apparent 'loyalty in the face of danger' is not a trait I would have associated with their behavioral make-up. It's the kind of thing you'd expect from a dog tbh.
    I'd guess territorial protection more then anything else; it stopped directly after the truck, ran back, charged again (most likely as the dog was coming back and when the mother got bitten by trying to chase it away).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd guess territorial protection more then anything else; it stopped directly after the truck, ran back, charged again (most likely as the dog was coming back and when the mother got bitten by trying to chase it away).

Possible alright, though territorial-ism towards other cats is one thing, but against a dog that's four times the size? Not something you'd see every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"If not a lot worse", what like torture it for information? :confused:

Always found it bizarre this idea of getting revenge on an animal. It's an animal. There is no purpose to be served by doing anything but humanely euthanising it.

There's no point in getting angry. It's an animal.

They are probably doing blood tests anyway but you would hold the animalsfor obs in order to confirm or rule out any diagnoses. You can't fnck around with rabies.

I could be wrong but it doesn't look like the child was actually bitten, but dragged to the ground by his shorts, so hopefully he has no lasting injuries from this incident.

seamus wrote: »
    I could be wrong but it doesn't look like the child was actually bitten, but dragged to the ground by his shorts, so hopefully he has no lasting injuries from this incident.
    49s in the video would appear to be bite wounds to me as would the 10 stitches he got in total indicate but I've not dealt with a lot of bite wounds so could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Strange sorta animal all the same, loyal enough - probably still eat you though if there was a bit of a shortage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Several years ago now our cat was attacked by a very powerful breed of dog & was in serious trouble. I ran out the door as fast as I could & our small mongrel got out at the same time!

Our little dog grabbed the attacking dog & actually managed to inflict a nasty injury, the cat was promptly dropped & to my astonishment the cat then used claws & teeth to help our dog.

So there was this large dog with a little dog swinging out of his ear & a cat scraping the arse off him.

He never attacked the cat again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Knine wrote: »
    Several years ago now our cat was attacked by a very powerful breed of dog & was in serious trouble. I ran out the door as fast as I could & our small mongrel got out at the same time!

Our little dog grabbed the attacking dog & actually managed to inflict a nasty injury, the cat was promptly dropped & to my astonishment the cat then used claws & teeth to help our dog.

So there was this large dog with a little dog swinging out of his ear & a cat scraping the arse off him.

As they say,.... It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Knine wrote: »

Amazing story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

They're usually described as selfish loners, but cats can be fiercely protective of their "family". I shared 16 years of my life with a siamese-cross tortoiseshell who was the most arrogant female of any species I've ever met, but loyal till the day she died. At the time, we shared a fence with the churchyard next door and one day, a mad Springer Spaniel got too close when our first baby was on the loose inside. Well, she took off after the dog like that one in the video, but didn't stop chasing him for about ten minutes. Poor fella was only being lively and meant no harm but he never came near our fence again. :)

Advertisement