Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Preperation ups and downs

Options
  • 14-05-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi, this has probably been covered loads of times before, but, I am 3 weeks out from the Outlaw half distance.
    My training has been good(not to a programme) but good. I did a long ish brick last night 45k bike 5 k run. I have a strong base in I am told.
    Today I am in bits with run down symptoms, flu ish etc. This has been happening nearly every time I do my long days, swim, cycle and run.

Just looking for advice on both being close to race and in general what is the approach to this "head job". What to do????

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is this a regular thing or a more recent taper madness thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

Seeing as I am taking a five week taper..... No its kind of always going on when going longer than normal. Lately its the same, 2.5 k swim- empty tank, 80-90 k cycle -empty tank, half marathon (as you saw recently Oryx) empty tank although kids had bug from school that week but took me four days to get back, When I do recover my sessions are great until I go long again.

I don't want anti-biotics at this stage before a race and I hate them anyway. Do I take the foot off the pedal again for 4 days???????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I had something very similar lately and it was low blood pressure caused by not drinking enough water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i guess you have to ask yurself do you need to do those sessions for an half , or do you need more recovery before and after those sessions.
    you seems to see a pattern and need to change something

and yes do take the foot of the peddal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

How are you fueling longer sessions?

• Advertisement

I have been fuelling longer sessions on the bike especially with Energy Bar every 25-30 mins and gel every 30k ish plus high 5 drink. I think it has a lot to do with immune system now. My diet would be good(not perfect). But probably not supplementing with extra proteins/carbs etc...

I have found speaking to others who would be 2nd-3rd year triathletes, moving up the distances that this isn't uncommon.

For me its a kind of exhaustion that brings on sore throat/ ears/ flu type issues. Its also the highs of doing a great training session to the lows of "emty tank" which hinders even recovery runs or swims the next two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Without knowing all the facts, it sounds like you are just not eating enough, you've probably doubled you output without increasing your input to match. I'm talking about fuelling pre and post training, so a good feed before you get on a bike, and a good feed when you get home.
    If you're training enough you dont really need to worry about weight loss, you can eat to fuel and your body will find the weight for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I would also be asking a question on pacing for those sessions. They should leave a little fatigue but not much, however if you are not pacing them and doing them too hard then this will have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hey
    how long do the symptoms last,
    have you looked at what is different from the times it does not happen (amount of liquid, food, recovery after the session)?
    after the session how fatigued were you, what did you do to recover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Green&Red wrote: »
    Without knowing all the facts, it sounds like you are just not eating enough, you've probably doubled you output without increasing your input to match. I'm talking about fuelling pre and post training, so a good feed before you get on a bike, and a good feed when you get home.
    If you're training enough you dont really need to worry about weight loss, you can eat to fuel and your body will find the weight for you

That can sometimes be the case, but all the food in the world won't prevent fatigue caused by overpacing / overtraining or inadequate recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Basster wrote: »
    That can sometimes be the case, but all the food in the world won't prevent fatigue caused by overpacing / overtraining or inadequate recovery.

Food solves all problems

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

I guess to be honest I do every thing at the same pace really. 1 speed swim, cycle , run. Not being funny but I find I am as fast at the start as the end !!!

As regards food intake I am a few pounds over "ideal" so I have been conscious of consumption, but I have not changed intake to reflect more mileage. There's your answer you say. Maybe the everyday working person 3 kid diet doesn't lend itself well to triathlon.

Its my first at this distance and as before the base is good but and all there. It just seems when the big exertion is on I recover quite slowly due to a couple of days flu like symptoms.

Maybe others are suffering the same, just thought I would put it out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

MaryB30 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply's everyone.

I guess to be honest I do every thing at the same pace really. 1 speed swim, cycle , run. Not being funny but I find I am as fast at the start as the end !!!

As regards food intake I am a few pounds over "ideal" so I have been conscious of consumption, but I have not changed intake to reflect more mileage. There's your answer you say. Maybe the everyday working person 3 kid diet doesn't lend itself well to triathlon.

Its my first at this distance and as before the base is good but and all there. It just seems when the big exertion is on I recover quite slowly due to a couple of days flu like symptoms.

Maybe others are suffering the same, just thought I would put it out there.

There is your answer, hard to recover properly with the needs of little ones. The eternal struggle of life/family/work/training balance to be struck.
    Up the food intake to match training load, food intake should not be looked at in isolation and should flow accordingly with your training load....as in recovery weeks don't eat all around you:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

And be aware of the other stressors taking from you. You work hard. You have small kids. Allow for those things. Pros get to sleep between sessions, we don't. :)

Thanks everyone for you input.

I think it is something that should be discussed a bit and possibly links or advice to proper nutrition stuff like that.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Do you train with a hr monitor or by feel?

I experience a similar breakdown fairly frequently, I train by feel and was thinking of changing to hr training to see if I could identify any changes that way.

any one have an input on that idea?

I trained base by HR. Strictly for zones and base 1-2. I left the hate rate system when I was up to good distances. I then moved onto feel really as work got busier looking back over the last few weeks the turbo's have dwindled the runs hovered around the 10ks steady and the effort was more comfortable than exertion.

I think after this thread it has become clear to me that the intensity I have been training under was false and I have been "found out" now when I need to call on reserves that are not there.

I still have a race in 3 weeks and now think I will try to make the best from a half decent lot.

Still its good to be capable.

Advertisement