Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosemount Estate, Dundrum - nice place to live?

Options
  • 14-05-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am a retired lady and am thinking about buying a house I've seen in Rosemount Estate, Dundrum. It is within a few minutes walk of the Dundrum Luas stop which is important to me, but I'd also like to live somewhere that is quiet and safe. The estate seemed nice when I visited there recently but I haven't lived previously in Dundrum, so I'm hoping to hear from people more familiar with this area. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Purplemonke

Hi, I'm from the area have grown up and remained here and it is lovely a lot of mature estates surrounding rosemount itself. A few years ago there was a negative perception of the area due to the council flats within rosemount estate. However they where knocked in 2011. Everyone's exposure to levels of trouble is different I was just out of school so possible exposed more than maybe some residents who would defend the area!

It has been very good since with little trouble, problem is there are now new plans to put 44 units on the old site, large structure over three stories, made up of 1 bed and 2 bed flats, which if allowed is bound to change the social demografic again!

I know all the residents are fighting against the plans im just not sure if it's winnable.

Afraid of the impact to the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

Hi there,

I lived in said council flats until they were knocked down and still live just around the corner. Any problems there mostly did seem to stem from the Rosemount Court area where the flats were, so any negative comments you may hear about the area I'm sure would be referring to the reputation that particular part had.

However even when the flats were there, the immediate area around it (Rosemount Estate, Mount Carmel, Taney) were always quite nice areas with several retired people living there happily. In particular the adjacent Larchfield area which Rosemount Estate leads onto is very nice, with it's local shops.

As mentioned above, any negativity attached to the area would have been because of the flats, but any problems would have gone when the flats themselves did.

If anything I'd say the area could be a bit of a hidden gem as the 'new' Dundrum with new Shopping Centre and trendy apartments would be quite expensive to live at, so a still centrally located Rosemount could be a good bet!

Happy house hunting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

It's a lovely area, very settled

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Purplemonke

Agree since the flats where knocked there has been a far better response to the area. Very concerned though with the proposed plan for 44 units on the site where the flats stood.

I would be worried it could return to a similar social issue especially with some 1 bedroom seeming to cater for non family.

Can't seem to post the link properly but can be seen on the dlrcoco site.

dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/housing/pc-h-05-2015-proposed-housing-development-at-rosem

quote="actua11;95184318"]Hi there,

I lived in said council flats until they were knocked down and still live just around the corner. Any problems mostly did seem to stem from the Rosemount Court area where the flats were, so any negative comments you may here about the area I'm sure would be referring to the reputation that particular part had.

However even when the flats were there, the immediate area around it (Rosemount Estate, Mount Carmel, Taney) were always quite nice areas with several retired people living there happily. In particular the adjacent Larchfield area which Rosemount Estate leads onto is very nice, with it's local shops.

As mentioned above, any negativity attached to the area would have been because of the flats, but any problems would have gone when the flats themselves did.

If anything I'd say the area could be a bit of a hidden gem as the 'new' Dundrum with new Shopping Centre and trendy apartments would be quite expensive to live at, so a still centrally located Rosemount could be a good bet!

Happy house hunting :)[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I grew up in Dundrum from 93-02... Went to Holy Cross, and remember what was at the site before that (awfully ugly) centre was built.
    I know of the some of the people who lived in the flats people are talking about.
    I have noticed that the area has improved, but it's not like the small neighbour town it was when I lived there.
    Everyone knew everyone by name and would actually stop and talk. Totally different today.
    My mum lives two estates down from Rosemont, and unfortunately everyone who she knew moved out or passed away once the Luas and centre was built, and not a lot of people stay living in the area for long.
    So a lot of people don't know each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Would this be better in South Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Is Rosemount the same as Holylands?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

SMJSF wrote: »
    I grew up in Dundrum from 93-02... Went to Holy Cross, and remember what was at the site before that (awfully ugly) centre was built.
    I know of the some of the people who lived in the flats people are talking about.
    I have noticed that the area has improved, but it's not like the small neighbour town it was when I lived there.
    Everyone knew everyone by name and would actually stop and talk. Totally different today.
    My mum lives two estates down from Rosemont, and unfortunately everyone who she knew moved out or passed away once the Luas and centre was built, and not a lot of people stay living in the area for long.
    So a lot of people don't know each other.

To be honest, you could say the same about most of Dublin. I grew up in Walkinstown and out of the 100 or so houses on my road I probably knew 90% of the people. My parents still live there and they reckon they personally know about 30 residents. Big change!! But most Dubs will tell you something similar.

I lived in Dundrum for a couple of years and found Rosemount to be a lovely area!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Is Rosemount the same as Holylands?

In a lot of ways they are the same but Rosemount is in Dundrum whereas Holylands is Rathfarnham/Nutgrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

It has been very good since with little trouble, problem is there are now new plans to put 44 units on the old site, large structure over three stories, made up of 1 bed and 2 bed flats, which if allowed is bound to change the social demografic again!

I know all the residents are fighting against the plans im just not sure if it's winnable.

Afraid of the impact to the area!

God I fcking hate this NIMBY attitue from residents in Dublin. You know 1 bed apartment costs 1200 per month to rent in dundrum, just out of lack of supply. And you want to deny people to in the area, deny affordable accomaadation out of unapolegetic snobbery. 3 stories is not a large structure, so you already sound like a ****in idiot

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

You know 1 bed apartment costs 1200 per month to rent in dundrum, just out of lack of supply.
    What's going on with those apartments opposite the Balally stop? The ones with the waterworks in front. Are they safe now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Nice place and it turned out a World champion .

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

And you want to deny people to in the area, deny affordable accomaadation out of unapolegetic snobbery. 3 stories is not a large structure

For context, here is an article published in the Sunday Tribune during the time residents from the previous flats were being moved out prior to their demolition. They, having lived there, were (accurately in my view) described as "Flats from Hell" - http://tinyurl.com/m3jrwzl

Large buildings with a concentrated anti-social population had been a problem in the Rosemount Court area for decades, and now that the area where the flats previously stood is now an open green space, it is far better for the estate as a whole.

This article though is just to show the op that again there was a time when parts of the estate were described as 'hell' but since the flats have gone, so has the bad atmosphere and reputation, leaving the whole estate a quite nice place to live these days.

Carpenter wrote: »
    Nice place and it turned out a World champion .
    I know a little off topic, but I'm racking my brain, and can't think of who the world champ is? I'd love to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Will iI tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

he was good at cycling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

God I fcking hate this NIMBY attitue from residents in Dublin. You know 1 bed apartment costs 1200 per month to rent in dundrum, just out of lack of supply. And you want to deny people to in the area, deny affordable accomaadation out of unapolegetic snobbery. 3 stories is not a large structure, so you already sound like a ****in idiot

Mod note: warning for uncivil/personal abuse. Don't post in this thread again until you can adhere to the forum and site charters.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

he was good at cycling?

More than good. Simply the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stavneg

FYI, the DLR Housing Department received Part 8 Planning approval at the Council meeting on the 8th June 2015 for the proposed social housing development at Rosemount Estate.
    Full details on the DLR website dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/housing/pc-h-05-2015-proposed-housing-development-at-rosem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

stavneg wrote: »
    FYI, the DLR Housing Department received Part 8 Planning approval at the Council meeting on the 8th June 2015 for the proposed social housing development at Rosemount Estate.
    Full details on the DLR website dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/housing/pc-h-05-2015-proposed-housing-development-at-rosem

Is this still going ahead?

See this property was put up for sale shortly after this was announced. Wonder was there any link?

http://www.daftdrop.com/houses/3a-taney-park-dundrum-dublin-14-374020

Smashing property, though I'd be wary, as it's a wooden fence away from the form former flats complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Is this still going ahead?

Spotted new crane there today:

http://www.mantiscranes.ie/2017/05/02/mantis-cranes-working-on-social-housing-project-in-dublin/

But I would say there will be no skobies relocated there - saw recently new social housing open in Dublin 6 and pretty decent families got it (good looking couples + kids, good clobber, gadgets, language and behaviour, two cars etc..).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 DARKLUG

Hi,

we are a young couple considering to buy a house in Rosemount estate.

We were wondering how's the situation in the estate these days.

What has been the impact of the social housing development?
    Would you recommend the area?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Take into account thousands of new houses and flats being planned and build down the Luas line (Ballyogan to Cherrywood). At pre-Covid times it was hard to get into luas in Dundrum, I presume it is empty now but it wont be like that forever.

There is also big idea about huge housing development on Central Mental Hospital lands - go and read about it.

As per new social housing on Rosemont I dont have any info unfortunately.

Advertisement