Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 6 – Sassano - Montecassino 247 May 15th, km **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
  • 14-05-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

Stage 6 – Thursday May 15th, Sassano - Montecassino 247km (**)

Map:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_06.jpg?v=20140508173135

Profile:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_06.jpg?v=20140508173130

Last kilometres:

ukm_06.jpg?v=%3C!--%20[an%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this%20directive]%20%20--%3E

Weather - Sassano: Except for a few afternoon clouds, mainly sunny. High around 16C. Winds NW at 15 to 30 kph. Montecassino: Generally sunny despite a few afternoon clouds. High 21C. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 kph.

Stage Betting: Diego Ulissi 3/1; Michael Matthews 6/1; Cadel Evans 7/1; Edvald Boassen Hagen 11/1.

Live TV coverage on Eurosport1 from 1.30pm. Highlights on Sky Sports 3 at 10.30pm and Eurosport1 at midnight.

Live text ticker here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

They have added another 10km to the stage due to road damage

Beautiful part of the world ....made poignant by the world war 2 battle

Imagine GC guys will be going for stage win tomorrow

(this stage would have suited Dan Martin IMO)...hope for a little surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

I reckon Ulissi will get another win here. Matthews impressed me today, and if he wasn't forced to close that gap he may have challenged for the win, so he should be in the mix again.

Unlikely we will see any splits affecting the GC. It will be interesting to see who controls the peloton up the final climb. Lampre should try and make it as hard as possible, to tire Matthews out for the sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I cycled up Montecassino last year. It's a lovely climb and I'm looking forward to seeing these guys monstering it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hope to see Saxoff-Tinko absolutely bombing down the road to Montecassino, to try to create some splits. Weaker teams like Lampre could potentially be caught out in a split.

Hope to see Saxoff-Tinko absolutely bombing down the road to Montecassino, to try to create some splits. Weaker teams like Lampre could potentially be caught out in a split.

I like your style but don't think Lampre wt Ulissi, Niemiec & Cunego are necessarily the weaker team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭antogz1979

I don't think Ulissi will win tomorrow, the finish won't suit as it flattens out at the end. My money is on Evans and Boasson Hagen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

MPFG wrote: »
    I like your style but don't think Lampre wt Ulissi, Niemiec & Cunego are necessarily the weaker team

For years now they've struck me as a disorganized bunch, and those three guys aren't really the engine you need to tear up a peloton going down a long, flat, straight road. They're individually talented but I don't believe they can do a train like Tinkoff, OPQS, Katusha or Movistar.

I would love to see something like this, just to mix it up a bit, its a long stage so if it is ridden hard from early on it will suit the bigger riders like Roche or Cadel.

Agree, I don't necessarily think they are weak. The thing is Niemiec is their GC guy so he will not be used to chase any attacks on the final climb.

With Matthews in the leaders jersey, Orica may be in for a tough day, 250Kms on the front won't be easy, especially if they want the stage win.

I would like to see them "bluff it", that they aren't interested in the stage win, and force Lampre or someone else to work on the front to close the break down before the climb. It would give Matthews some extra support on the final climb and also tire Lampre's domestiques earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Given the profile of the final climb, I think the tempo will have to be immense for any of the GC guys to get into trouble. Ulissi has a great chance to win two stages in a row. Also, Team Katusha should be able to make a better go of trying to set up Purito for the win. All in all, I think we'll see a similar finish to Stage 5.

Maybe Danny Moreno will get to ride for himself and win it ???

Purito didn't have his usual giz today

• Advertisement

Maybe Danny Moreno will get to ride for himself and win it ???

Purito didn't have his usual giz today

Yea, it was Roche's attack that cooked Moreno. Paolini had just pulled off and Purito was left at the front before Moreno reacted, it was well timed attack in that sense, there easily could have been a lull in the action that allowed Roche to get a gap. But the fact Katusha seemed set on winning bonus seconds and a strong headwind made it look like a poor attack.

The fact Purito faded so badly is a good sign from a Roche perspective, of the main GC guys only him and Roche rode into that headwind. Roche's attack was a early on, and he managed to hang onto the group. I don't think anyone came around him in the final 200 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

Roche should watch Evans today. If he bides his time, doesn't attack and follows Evan's sprint he should get a top 5 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭rckfld

I have a strong feeling about Evans today, looked strong yesterday may want to stamp his mark today, protect tomorrow before Saturday!

rckfld wrote: »
    I have a strong feeling about Evans today, looked strong yesterday may want to stamp his mark today, protect tomorrow before Saturday!

Good shout on Evans, I think he should be up there. But the last thing BMC want is for Matthews to drop. Evans won't turn down the bonus seconds but I don't think they'll fancy having to defend the jersey so early on.

Sky helping Orica-GreenEDGE with the chase, which means they think EBH has a good chance today. Finish isn't hard to to make a selection going by that info.

happytramp wrote: »
    Roche should watch Evans today. If he bides his time, doesn't attack and follows Evan's sprint he should get a top 5 today.

I sent Nico a tweet this morning and said the exact same thing :)

Great minds and all that ....not that he will pay a blind bit of notice to me

Said in his diary that the DS told to attack at 1km,,,,,if he had waited he could have had a top 3 and the bonus points which as Cadel knows are very important

Love Kelly just said Nico should have pulled out his ear piece :D

Tinkoff Saxo have just said Majka is riding for pink today :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭rckfld

Brilliant from Sean Kelly about the ear piece had a laugh at that myself!

Tinkoff Saxo have just said Majka is riding for pink today :confused:

Link?

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Link?

Look at there twitter feed .....confused as Majka said he will wait to win stage in final week to Danish TV today

Roads are shocking wherever they are now. Pothole country

• Advertisement

Look at there twitter feed .....confused as Majka said he will wait to win stage in final week to Danish TV today

"DS Bruno and Lars discuss strategies before stage 6 of #giro. Majka 26 sec away from #pinkjersey #getready"

Ah right I wouldn't read too much into that. I thought you meant that they came out today and said "Rafa is riding for pink" in a general sense.

As you said Majka knows this stage isn't for him. "I feel good today. The climb today is not for me so I wait for the final week to win a stage"

Do you think Bjarne Riis is there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

All the crappy weather in Italy is kind of excusing the crappy weather over here.

I don't like these long stages in Grand Tour ....don't make good racing

Prefer shorter stages as riders more likely to go for it

Do you think Bjarne Riis is there

I would imagine he is there in some capacity. Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

6'34 the gap with under 60 km to go.

Breakaway looks like it has a decent chance to stay out.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    6'34 the gap with under 60 km to go.

Breakaway looks like it has a decent chance to stay out.

Such a long stage though, I reckon the peloton will be able to close it down pretty quickly, last 8Km's uphill too, so they will need a large gap to stay away to the end more than 2mins at least.

Chipo and Aye-tal-in bikes :D

Speaking of which.....wonder how there is room enough in the photo for the 2 egos

• Advertisement

Trek have been on the front for quite some time now too, I wonder who they are in for today? Arredondo? Surely its too hard for Nizzolo?

Advertisement