Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 6 – Sassano - Montecassino 247 May 15th, km **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

The only Irish rider coming out of this giro with something maybe Philip Deignan

From Twitter re Nico

"If he can continue, the cut looked awful and on a very bad place just under his bum/side"

Dario Cataldo not looking good either ....................so disappointing all round

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nasty finish on 6th stage #giro - a big crash brought down a large part of the peloton including Majka… http://instagram.com/p/oBrgG0l2xb/

clear who the reader always was

godtabh wrote: »
    clear who the reader always was

I have been saying this for days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

"Uran fell but suffered only minor injuries. Bruised back for Serry"

Looks like nearly all the GC guys fell behind Evans, I think it was a ****ty move by Evans/BMC. Evans better hope he doesn't get a puncture in the next 2weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

@NicholasRoche

Hard time today.. But nothing broken.. Give me a few days and i will be ready to go on the attack again. @tinkoff_saxo #keepFighting

Good stuff

@NicholasRoche

Hard time today.. But nothing broken.. Give me a few days and i will be ready to go on the attack again. @tinkoff_saxo #keepFighting

Good stuff

Still don't understand how he lost 15 minutes....Purito has broken finger & cracked ribs and came in about 7 minutes down....

I suppose he can go in break with Philip Deignan next week :D

J-Rod has abandoned :(

this from Tinkoff Saxo

"It’s a shame because Nicolas is in really good shape. He was held back and when he was able to move forward again it was way too late and he had lost a lot of time already. So we’ll sit down and find other goals for Nicolas during the Giro so he can focus on using his great race form, concludes Lars Michaelsen"

No bike ???

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Vicioso has multiple fractures of femur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I didn't see the stage so just wondering what did Eurosport commentary, for example, make of proceedings. According to Uran,“The crash happened in the front of the group because we were all up there. All of the GC guys went down or were held up except Evans." Was there any criticism?
    Sounds like BMC played a very ruthless card, given surely Evans & co could hardly have been unaware that suddenly the rest of the peloton had disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

pelevin wrote: »
    All of the GC guys went down or were held up except Evans." Was there any criticism?
    Kelly definitely wouldn't have criticised them and to be fair given his history in the sport he wouldn't be in a position to do so.

I didn't see the stage so just wondering what did Eurosport commentary, for example, make of proceedings. According to Uran,“The crash happened in the front of the group because we were all up there. All of the GC guys went down or were held up except Evans." Was there any criticism?
    Sounds like BMC played a very ruthless card, given surely Evans & co could hardly have been unaware that suddenly the rest of the peloton had disappeared.
    Kelly definitely wouldn't have criticised them and to be fair given his history in the sport he wouldn't be in a position to do so.

Yep, and of course Rob Hatch has no opinion of his own on anything.

I've seen that Kelly criticised Contador for attacking Andy Schleck a few TdFs ago when Schleck had a mechanical so I don't think your point necessarily holds true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nico just tweeted a photo of himself getting bandaged up.

BnsmtImIQAEM6Ag.jpg

During the commentary, Kelly said the BMC attack was fair game.

During the commentary, Kelly said the BMC attack was fair game.

Thanks & however it's perceived by other teams, rightly or wrongly, could add a bit of spice to proceedings which might be no bad thing. And in truth, for whatever reasons, until today it's been pretty dull racing this Giro so far compared to the wild free-for-all of last year's race.

Video of the crash with Eurosport commentary

And last 8km

^^^^^^^
    And to quote Kelly from yesterday ...... 'fcuking mayhem' :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Joaquim Rodriguez abandons #Giro after fracturing two ribs and breaking a thumb - full story: http://bit.ly/1g9eHvK

Fair play for crossing the line

Carnage in Montecassino

where have heard that before

When does safety come into this? Yesterday there was talk of neutralising the race. What about today?

When does safety come into this? Yesterday there was talk of neutralising the race. What about today?

When, before or after the crash? Nobody could have predicted the crash, the weather wasn't that bad. Afterwards, there was no more risk to injury so no need to neutralize.

Tobh looking at in on Youtube just now, doesn't sit too easily with me BMC pushing the pace when they're in such a small group that were untouched by the carnage, but then again I'm a total outsider to what's considered racing ethics. Maybe when it happens so late in proceedings, full gas racing is considered fair game.

When, before or after the crash? Nobody could have predicted the crash, the weather wasn't that bad. Afterwards, there was no more risk to injury so no need to neutralize.

The conditions werent as bad as yesterday then? The looked bad on youtube

I was watching the Backstage Pass of Orica and they had a big focus on the neutralisation yesterday. Just wondering why it didnt happen today and it appears as it wasnt as bad as yesterday

Tobh looking at in on Youtube just now, doesn't sit too easily with me BMC pushing the pace when they're in such a small group that were untouched by the carnage, but then again I'm a total outsider to what's considered racing ethics. Maybe when it happens so late in proceedings, full gas racing is considered fair game.

I think BMC will be attacked in this race in the weeks ahead

Love to see Quintana win it as he is class

The conditions werent as bad as yesterday then? The looked bad on youtube

I was watching the Backstage Pass of Orica and they had a big focus on the neutralisation yesterday. Just wondering why it didnt happen today and it appears as it wasnt as bad as yesterday

Well that was also on what's basically a criterium circuit with 10 city corners every 8 km.

Video on Dan Martin & team in NI (before his crash)

I am gutted I wanted the Irish to do well and felt they could and now ....ah cycling is cruel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVpEMZzElBg&list=UUXgba6tOLghtJuXaD8LBHWg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

MPFG wrote: »
    I think BMC will be attacked in this race in the weeks ahead

Love to see Quintana win it as he is class

I think you're correct about BMC but if Quintana is as "class" as quite a few people have said he probably could have done more to limit the damage today, he just rode on the wheels of climbers who were not nearly as good as he is. I'd like to see more aggression from him before I would consider him as "class".

Personally don't want to see Evans win as he is just about the most dour sportsman I can think of in any sport.

Advertisement