Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 6 – Sassano - Montecassino 247 May 15th, km **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

godtabh wrote: »
    roche doesnt give much away this morning

link
    happytramp wrote: »
    It's not like Roche to pull his punches if he feels he's been wronged. Maybe he's alright with the idea of being let of the leash and going for stage wins?
    Or he was told to not talk about it.

I still remember the last time he didnt get a bike after a crash/puncture as a leader. He went bananas in his indo article .

Yeah he hasn't given much away at all.

All we know is that Nico crashed and his bike was damaged. Jay McCarthy and Ivan Rovny rode with him for the remainder of the stage. McCarthy had given his bike to Majka. And presumably Rovny's bike was in bad shape too, otherwise he would have given it to Nico. 5km from the top, Nico gets a new bike, but he has lost too much time at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

happytramp wrote: »
    It's not like Roche to pull his punches if he feels he's been wronged. Maybe he's alright with the idea of being let of the leash and going for stage wins?

tbh I reckon he was told that majka was the leader, nico was the backup option, but because the race was starting in Ireland he would be presented as co-leader for exposure etc. If anything then went tits up, he would be 2nd in line behind majka as a 'protected' rider.
    And I reckon he was happy enough with that arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Nico was lying in 7th before yesterday with Majka only 11 seconds in front of him...11 seconds lost cos of the puncture in Dublin & split in the peloton
    Three riders who were in front of Nico on GC are not climbers and would not be there in a week ...so he was lying very well on GC.....
    He was also hoping to do well in the overall and is in good from by all accounts
    So I don't accept he was fine with losing 15 minutes yesterday

Now maybe he didn't react sooner after the crash or as the team says he didn't have a bike but with teammates up the road ( Rodgers, Petrov, etc) I think I would been very unhappy if I had to wait for a bike

I thought he pulled his punches in the article tbh and this might be cos at Tinkoff Saxo you don't have the leeway as at Ag2R

It would have been in Tinkoff Saxo's benefit to keep 2 rider sin GC position and not a deliberate ploy on their part yesterday. Maybe poor management but to leave a rider with a potential for a high GC without a bike is not on...

And as I said earlier riders like Rodgers , Juul Jensen when interviewed in Italy only spoke of riding for Majka....

If I was Roche I would ask myself if I will ever lead a team again for GC in a Grand Tour if riding for Tinkoff Saxo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFG wrote: »
    If I was Roche I would ask myself if I will ever lead a team again for GC in a Grand Tour if riding for Tinkoff Saxo

Spain maybe next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Spain maybe next year

Maybe but a big maybe with Contador, Majka, Krueisger above you on the pecking order

THe thing is Roche has ridden his whole pro career as a GT rider...he hasnever concentrated on classics or one day races.....if he is prepared to change then stay at Saxo but if not then maybe somewhere else

• Advertisement
Advertisement