Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

max accuracy at what distance -.22lr?

• 14-05-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,

Whats the max accuracy and distance for a .22lr, like a ruger 10/22 or a similar rifle?

Is 50m the best i can hope to accuratly shooot or can i get further out?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You'd need to specify if you mean the round or the rifle there - the same round in a 10/22 is not going to be as accurate as if it's in, say, an anschutz or a beliker bolt-action rifle.

But for example, this is at 100 yards outdoors on a windy day:

307071.jpg

That's ten shots in a group that's just over an inch edge-to-edge if I remember right, shot from an anschutz.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Whats the max accuracy and distance for a .22lr, like a ruger 10/22 or a similar rifle?

Is 50m the best i can hope to accuratly shooot or can i get further out?

Thanks

Define "accurately". :) There are any number of videos on YouTube of people shooting .22lr rifles at longer ranges (300yd+) but the targets they're aiming at are correspondingly larger.

With a typical Ruger 10/22 with a short and light barrel on it, I wouldn't expect anything interesting past 100m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭everypenny

I've shot 6 inch x 12inch targets at 337m with a CZ 22lr and stingers.

If the ammo, atmospherics and your shooting position is consistent its no problem at all.

Just don't expect the grouping as above!

everypenny wrote: »
    I've shot 6 inch x 12inch targets at 337m with a CZ 22lr and stingers.

It's still a bit early for my brain to be awake, but assuming a 6 inch group at 337m, that's roughly 1.6MOA if my calculations are correct.

The group Sparks posted is roughly 0.8MOA, or half your group size. (Though it would have been shot with iron sights :p)

So yours isn't that bad, given how far outside the .22lr's comfort zone you were.

IRLConor wrote: »
    So yours isn't that bad, given how far outside the .22lr's comfort zone you were.

It's never about the weapon systems comfort zone, it's about your own. wink.png

• Advertisement

It's never about the weapon systems comfort zone, it's about your own. wink.png

"weapon system"? Have you spent a little more time in the military than is really healthy for you? ;)

I'm sure I don't know what you're on about

Cough, cough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I regularly shoot my cz style& cci mini mags out to 300 metres. The wind is the only real issue, get a handle on that and as long as you are consistent behind the rifle, you'll be laughing.

Consistency is the key. Same round, same rifle, same point of aim, same hold, same weather and you'll get the same point of impact.

bravestar wrote: »
    I regularly shoot my cz style& cci mini mags out to 300 metres. The wind is the only real issue, get a handle on that and as long as you are consistent behind the rifle, you'll be laughing.
    Consistency is the key. Same round, same rifle, same point of aim, same hold, same weather and you'll get the same point of impact.

Roughly what group sizes are you getting? (e.g. 5+ shots in X mm)

• Advertisement

I'm very lazy so at that range I just shoot a steel dong. Its so battered that I wouldn't be able to tell you. I only do it for fun rather then any competitive streak in me.

The report is nice and the flight time is long so its great to hear the 'ding'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Re: group size

Leave it with me and next time im out I will measure and take a pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

IRLConor wrote: »
    "weapon system"? Have you spent a little more time in the military than is really healthy for you? ;)

Nothing wrong with being in the military - never did me any harm, and more to the point, I never got killed once.

Also, I'm VERY healthy for an old f*rt.

tac

I'm very lazy so at that range I just shoot a steel dong. Its so battered that I wouldn't be able to tell you. I only do it for fun rather then any competitive streak in me.

The report is nice and the flight time is long so its great to hear the 'ding'.

I'll assume for the sake of decency that you actually meant to write 'gong'.;)

tac

Ha!

Very hard to cut it into the right shape and carrying it through a field draws some strange looks... biggrin.png

Cackle...

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭isaac azimov

Tight groups at range with carbine barrel 10/22 as "Mick the barman" on the "Savage Eye" says "You,ve come to the wrong place".At 100m you would be lucky to be donging the gable end of the barn

Advertisement