Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card on all Buseireann Buses

Options
  • 14-05-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

For sometime now BE have not been able to implement the Leap Card on all there buses. The main reason for this is they cant afford to upgrade the ticket machines on all the buses. But now they are coming under pressure from the N.T.A . So as a result of that pressure all drivers have been instructed to accept these cards regardless of there validity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

reggaeman wrote: »
    For sometime now BE have not been able to implement the Leap Card on all there buses. The main reason for this is they cant afford to upgrade the ticket machines on all the buses. But now they are coming under pressure from the N.T.A . So as a result of that pressure all drivers have been instructed to accept these cards regardless of there validity.
    Indeed I have seen several people travelling free on the 120 and the 109 because the ticket machine had not been updated and could not accept their Leap card payment. It should be the same with buses parked up in depots overnight which don't have their ticket machines updated with the proper modules? to accept online tickets which are presented the following morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭reggaeman

The majority of buses are still using the very old type of machine. These cant be updated with the more modern software needed to operate these machines. This upgrade has been going on at a very slow pace. So BE decided to act now while the wait goes on. Remember Abba? Money'Money'Money.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

For sometime now BE have not been able to implement the Leap Card on all there buses. The main reason for this is they cant afford to upgrade the ticket machines on all the buses.

The machine they are upgrading to is the same one that is used on Dublin Bus, which is already way out of date and less than perfect for leap (reference other threads here) the system they are replacing this with on Bus Eireann is even older.

Are BE actually still buying new units of the TGX150? to fit to their fleet If so that is ridiculous since those machines are really not up to the task, are almost obsolete and are not really designed for a proper smartcard system like LEAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭reggaeman

I honestly cant say witch one. Ive been taking it for granted that they would be upgrading to the most suitable one for the job. As you say it would be pointless replacing old for old. But for the moment anyone with a leap card will be doing well traveling with BE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

All buses? When was it fully rolled out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

All buses? When was it fully rolled out?
    read the opening post again carefully

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

read the opening post again carefully

They've only announced it for local services in Cork city and commuter zones for Dublin. So it seems odd to me raggaeman heard they are saying this all buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I have a leap card and I didn't know I could use it with BE. Is the discount substantial?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I have a leap card and I didn't know I could use it with BE. Is the discount substantial?

Follow the links on this page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057209915

Discount can be up to 15%.

lxflyer wrote: »

Is that just for Adults or are children allowed use a leap card on Bus Eireann services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

lxflyer wrote: »

Can I rely on this though? I use the 109 all the time and would much prefer to use my LEAP card over having to get to an ATM and take cash out. This has made me miss buses before :mad:.

What happens if the driver doesn't have a scanner on board and all I have is my LEAP card?

Thank you.

Whether the machine reads the card or not is Bus Eireann's problem.

The adult leap card is valid as per the information in the links I provided.

As yet neither student nor child options are available.

Can I rely on this though? I use the 109 all the time and would much prefer to use my LEAP card over having to get to an ATM and take cash out. This has made me miss buses before :mad:.

What happens if the driver doesn't have a scanner on board and all I have is my LEAP card?

Thank you.
    If the machine does not work or is not leap enabled you travel free

Just to be absolutely clear here, LEAP is NOT valid on ALL Bus Éireann services.

It is only valid on the services listed here in the Greater Dublin Region and on Cork City/Suburban services.

It is not valid on Expressway services or services in other parts of the country.

The OP in this thread is frankly posting old news, but putting an incorrect twist on it, while appearing (as with all previous posts) to have some gripe about Bus Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

So as a result of that pressure all drivers have been instructed to accept these cards regardless of there validity.

That's been the case since day 1. (have been using it since then, and have been on a number of buses with the old style machine)

Advertisement