Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Economics 2014 - All levels - predictions, discussion **

• 14-05-2014 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

So what do people think will come up in Economics. In micro, I fancy Perfect Competition, Elasticity, Capital and Costs of Production to appear again. In macro, I fancy International trade, the water charges and something about economic growth to appear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Oligopoly/Perfect Competition, although wouldn't be surprised with Imperfect..
    Supply/Elasticity
    Capital, although I'll learn Land and Enterprise well also..
    Costs of Production
    International Trade
    Money & Banking
    National Income - circular flow possibly

I'd expect water charges, bits about history and economic systems in the shorts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Are you studying for all 8 questions?
    I plan on not doing the 8th. Basically a geo and history question. Ew.

Are you studying for all 8 questions?
    I plan on not doing the 8th. Basically a geo and history question. Ew.

Not going near that :pac: I am kind of counting on my 3 micro questions :p

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    Not going near that :pac: I am kind of counting on my 3 micro questions :p

Yeh and if capital doesn't come up as the factor of production Q then im not doing that either.
    Are you going to do monopoly? I was going to learn it just in case but everytime I try to it just makes me confused on the rest. Anyway chances of it coming up is very unlikely.

Ill study all market structures as well as all factors of production, just in case :rolleyes: Basically all the micro :pac: This way I know I'm covered for 3 questions, and the 4th one will be pure luck, I'll study macro bits that I like. Costs of production would be nice as the fourth question :P

Thinking to leave labour as a factor of production out though, can't stand it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ill study all market structures as well as all factors of production, just in case :rolleyes: Basically all the micro :pac: This way I know I'm covered for 3 questions, and the 4th one will be pure luck, I'll study macro bits that I like. Costs of production would be nice as the fourth question :P

Thinking to leave labour as a factor of production out though, can't stand it!

Same here. You should have a look at national income,trade and population. The questions that come up on those are mostly theory.

Am I the only whose teacher didn't really cover the macro course?

thelad95 wrote: »
    Same here. You should have a look at national income,trade and population. The questions that come up on those are mostly theory.

Am I the only whose teacher didn't really cover the macro course?

I heard people tend not to do well in the population question and we were told to avoid it.

macro isn't bad, in fact I love national income and international trade but there are chapters that I need to constantly look over otherwise I forget them quickly like monetary and fiscal policy :o

Yeah our teacher didn't cover half the macro.. I was slagging him over it but now I see why, waste of time :pac: I'm not a fan of national income, I love trade tho! Even money and banking would be a nice question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

Elasticities should make an appearance in Q1, id say imperfect for Q2, Capital mostly for Q3 but hope they don't throw in something awkward with it. And then i just have National Income and Trade for another question...also think labour/monopoly might appear in SQs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

I covered a lot of Macroeconomics myself as my grinds teacher didnt seem to want to. Need that A1. :D

• Advertisement

Yeh I really want an A1 too but I think they've been trying to make it harder recently to get an A because a lot of people seem to advise others it's an 'easy A' so loads of people took it up only to realize the opposite.

What would you consider to be a 'tricky question' in the economics paper?
    i just hope they don't try to catch people out :rolleyes:

Yeh I really want an A1 too but I think they've been trying to make it harder recently to get an A because a lot of people seem to advise others it's an 'easy A' so loads of people took it up only to realize the opposite.

What would you consider to be a 'tricky question' in the economics paper?
    i just hope they don't try to catch people out :rolleyes:

75 people got an A1 last year out of 2000ish. Sums it up really.

I'd consider anything that asks for your opinion as tricky. Really difficult to score full marks in.

75 people got an A1 last year out of 2000ish. Sums it up really.

I'd consider anything that asks for your opinion as tricky. Really difficult to score full marks in.

So roughly 1 in 27 people get an A1, thats's crazy really.
    I really hope that's because of the large number of people taking it up to get a B or C.

I think last year's paper had a few tricky Q's. :rolleyes:

So roughly 1 in 27 people get an A1, thats's crazy really.
    I really hope that's because of the large number of people taking it up to get a B or C.

I think last year's paper had a few tricky Q's. :rolleyes:

Last years paper was awful. But if you look at the 2012 paper I can see why they mixed it up. If we got something like the 2012 paper I would do Gangnam style around the room before proceeding with the exam.

Last years short questions were taken from the deepest, deepest crevices of the course.

yeh haha I think last year's paper was just their way of letting us know it's not an easy subject.

If you give a valid point as an answer but it's not in the marking scheme would you not get any marks?

yeh haha I think last year's paper was just their way of letting us know it's not an easy subject.

If you give a valid point as an answer but it's not in the marking scheme would you not get any marks?

Yeah, they have to give it if it's reasonable.

You're a repeat right? How did you get on last year in economics? :)

You're a repeat right? How did you get on last year in economics? :)

Went from an A2 in the mocks to C3 in the real thing. A combination of taking the foot of the pedal and a woeful paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Went from an A2 in the mocks to C3 in the real thing. A combination of taking the foot of the pedal and a woeful paper :(

I got a B1 in the mocks....didn't think i deserved it at all.
    There were 4 A1's in my class in the mocks out of ~25, and we're not a bright bunch

ooh that scares me a little :o
    I'm sure you'll do brilliantly this year best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Can someone help me out on the 2008 economics paper Q1, b part (iii)?
    I don't undertand why the formula isn't -20 over -10..? (In the marking scheme)

Can someone help me out on the 2008 economics paper Q1, b part (iii)?
    I don't undertand why the formula isn't -20 over -10..? (In the marking scheme)

It's -20 for quantity demanded as it decreased and +10 for price as there was an increase from 40 to 50.. If that's what you're asking :)

It's -20 for quantity demanded as it decreased and +10 for price as there was an increase from 40 to 50.. If that's what you're asking :)

how did quantity decrease though? It went from 60 to 80?

how did quantity decrease though? It went from 60 to 80?

unless I'm looking at the wrong question QD was 60 at 40eu, and went down to 40 at 50eu, hence the -20 change :confused:

unless I'm looking at the wrong question QD was 60 at 40eu, and went down to 40 at 50eu, hence the -20 change :confused:

Ahh sorry I was looking at the diagram they drew with the second demand curve and used the equilibrium prices and quantities :o
    Thanks! :)

Does anyone think a costs of production long question could come up? It'd be a dream if it did but im doubtful cause of it coming up twice in a row in 2011 and 12

kev44 wrote: »
    Does anyone think a costs of production long question could come up? It'd be a dream if it did but im doubtful cause of it coming up twice in a row in 2011 and 12

50/50. It didn't come up last year so....

Personally I don't like it as a question. I understand the chapter in my book but sometimes I just wonder wtf they are asking.

Part of me wants to believe that after all the huff about last years paper they might take it easy this year...doubtful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

kev44 wrote: »
    Part of me wants to believe that after all the huff about last years paper they might take it easy this year...doubtful

Its what happened after the horror of the 2012 HL maths paper. So Id say so for economics too. The chief examiners pride themselves on the numbers taking on their subject and wont want people to start giving it a miss as the paper is always too difficult.

• Advertisement

2012 economics was as big a disaster. It was incredibly easy and many people who felt they should've gotten A's got low B's.

It's tough at the top....

Advertisement