Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Game announcements

Options
  • 15-05-2014 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With e3 coming up and with all the expected announcements, it got me wondering, how soon do you think a game should be announced?

A couple examples I'm thinking of:
    Watch Dogs. Announced in 2012 at e3, was at the next e3, due to be released in November and slipped.
    Smash Bros 4. Announced 2011 as being planned. Nothing to show. Then from last year's e3 it's been dragged out.

So I think it would benefit to announce a game when they have a set release date and more or less know they'll hit that date. Means no long dragged out news leaks/updatesand less chance of hype dying.

-So should they announce it as soon as possible whether there's anything to show? "We would like to announce we're beginning work on a new Zelda"
    -Announce it with an announcement cgi trailer?
    -Announce when they have a gameplay trailer?
    -Announce when they have demos for people/press to play? "And we have demo booths here this week"
    -Announce close to the release date(wthin the current calendar year)? "We've actually been working on a new Uncharted for the past couple of years and today we can announce you can buy it in only a few months on this date"
    -Announce with very short notice? More like what happens with episodic games

When do you think games should be announced? 41 votes

As soon as possible, with nothing to show
    0% 0 votes
    When they have a cgi announcement trailer
    19% 8 votes
    When they have a gameplay trailer
    9% 4 votes
    When demo booths are available
    43% 18 votes
    Close to the planned release date
    9% 4 votes
    With short notice
    17% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Games should be announced whenever, but this crap of giving release dates 6-8 months ahead of planned launch is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I find with certain titles they get announced too far ahead of time.
    We all talk on boards and other forums and generate hype about it for a few weeks....what it might be like, how it might compare to previous games etc....

But then this hype dies down, and most of us tend to forget about the game completely until near it's release date when someone will dig up an old thread or see a bit of news on a gaming website and say "Oh..this is out soon !" ...and everyone goes "Oh yeah, I remember that now....it's not looking as great as I thought it would given the time they had, or they're only that far with it , there will be release day patches ? etc"

I'd personally rather they give us the news about the games release a few few weeks or a month or two in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think different games work both ways, some appear out of no where and some build up the hype for a year or 2. What I hate lately about game announcements are countdown sites for a trailer teaser of an actual trailer of a game that won't be out for 2 years!!! A 3 second trailer announcement for an actual trailer is just bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I hate when companies announce a game and it doesnt get released for a year or two, with no delays, whats the point!? Too long of a wait.

Super Smash Bro's, thats a differenty story in a way, fans were going mad for info and the guy who is making it (name escapes me now) was still working on Kid Icarus for the 3DS, people were just so impatient about it.

So when his break was over after release of Kid Icarus he started on SSB, but started releasing pics of stages every week since the summer 2012 to now, which really get on my tits. Just make the game, say nothing about it until its is in its final stages of development and they have a release date.

Watch_Dogs is a joke at this stage. 2 years delayed now. They should have said nothing at E3 2012 if they had an idea that it would be delayed until 2013 which I'm pretty damn sure they did back then.

I hope watch_dogs sells terrible. But it won't.

I might get it for the Wii U, whats a few more months after 2 years delay for all systems.

Over all, I think 2 or 3 months before release, games should be announced, I know its to get hyped up for a game but with such high development in games now delays always happen.

Ramble ramble ramble

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I don't mind hugely when they announce a game so long as it is made clear if 'gameplay' material is actually in-game material or just CGI rendered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Funnily enough, I was thinking of starting a similar thread today but instead just posted about it in the E3 thread.

Personally I think a game shouldn't be announced unless they are confident they will ship it within a year.

There is absolutely no point in showing content any earlier than that. The teaser trailers in particular are a waste of time. Latest example I can think of being Uncharted.

This is also coming from a MGS fan... which generally take about 3 years to come out after being announced. The Phantom Pain being the latest.

• When it's Playable...look at Aliens: Colonial Marines. Prime example of "gameplay trailer" Bull****e

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Imagine if they had waited until The Last Guardian had a release date before announcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I think if you're looking at a year+ then you're pushing it a bit. In or around a year seems fine though. Look at the latest Mortal Kombat game, for example. It was announced just before E3 one year, spent about 12 months dropping bits of info (gameplay mechanics, playable characters, general story arc, etc) and then got released the following April. That was grand, and enough info was being released at a regular enough pace to keep people's attention. On the other hand, look at the latest Tomb Raider. It was announced with a jaw dropping trailer showing a brand new Lara, but we got no more info for another year. Then we got feck all at the next E3 (heavily QTE based gameplay was all we really saw) and then all was quiet again for the guts of another year until close to it's final release date. That's not grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I haven't picked an option in the poll just because my criteria is more so time specific as opposed to what they show.

An e.g. would be Arkham Knight was announced with a CGI trailer a month or so ago and is also due out this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

tok9 wrote: »
    I haven't picked an option in the poll just because my criteria is more so time specific as opposed to what they show.

An e.g. would be Arkham Knight was announced with a CGI trailer a month or so ago and is also due out this year.

I would put that under the "Close to release date" option, though it is strange they haven't shown more by this point. Probably at E3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    When it's Playable...look at Aliens: Colonial Marines. Prime example of "gameplay trailer" Bull****e

They actually had a gameplay demo of Colonial Marines that was everything the final game was not

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I prefer a game announcement made with real footage (rather than a spruced up looking game that will look downgraded on release, like Colonial Marines) and a reasonable timeline of around a year max.

I don't mind if a game is delayed since then as these things can happen.

What I'm not a big fan of is an announcement with a "buy the alpha now" scenario and then the actual full release of the game is pretty much "whenever it's done"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

There has to be footage. Otherwise I don't care. I might have a passing interest but I'm not going to be excited about an undeveloped game idea that they have.

Advertisement