Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice from professionals on an unusual situation

Options
  • 15-05-2014 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Okay

Here we go , here's something that's been on my mind for a while so i'm going to frame it as a hypothetical question i've aimed it at middle aged members for the simple reason that they may have had experience of something similar but all viewpoints are welcome.....

Let's say that you worked in a factory that makes say "widget x" for 20 years ,Now also let's say that "widget x" is only made in around 20 factories worldwide. Now lets say that around 6 years ago you left this factory to go to another country to help set up a new factory that's also capable of making "widget x" ....assume that because you did this you are none too popular in the factory you left....even though you were unhappy there for many years and you felt unfulfilled and unchallenged mentally.

Still with me ?

Okay , let's say you worked in this other country for 3 years and taking what you'd learned you helped to establish a plant that could make much better "widget x's" because you were given a budget that allowed you to buy equipment that could make the "widget" with the flaws designed out,you couldn't do this in the original factory because they wouldn't take the risk of the high investment and maybe didn't have the faith in you to go with your thinking......But now you know you were right and the new equipment has proved it so.

BUT
    Because of Location and Potential political disruption in this location , customers have become nervous and are not prepared at present to buy "widget x" from the new plant even though the quality is better and the price is cheaper.....This has left you back home and seeking employment.
    So here is the quandry

Chances are that the new plant will never get off the ground because of politics and vested interest or both.
    You are not popular in your old plant because even after 20 years of loyal service you brought your knowledge to a possible competitor , BUT now you have knowledge that can help your old plant greatly because you have had the opportunity to test out your theories over the last 3 years ....Would you swallow your pride and go to your old plant ? and even if they did not offer you your job back because it would be seen as a weakness on their part,would you offer them the knowledge you have gained freely ?, to possibly help sustain jobs in your town.....This is hypothetically the situation i'm in.....what would you do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's a tough one.
    Even if they had an appetite to improve they may still be too proud themselves to bring you back in board.

If they did being you back on board you may indeed find that you don't get a great reception. "Boomerangs" as they were known in a company I worked in were scoffed at a fair bit and often had to reprove their worth and indeed were ever fully trusted again by senior management.

Lastly since this new plant never went into full commercial production they may not take your improents at face value and you could find they aren't interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I have always had a rule never to re-hire and have never broken it. It is generally a mistake and causes much resentment with those who stayed in. It is also unhealthy to have your company as a handy backstop for those who might leave and then be able to return. It encourages people to take the risk and your talent can feel safe walking out the door. That said I have never had a compelling reason to re-hire anyone. If you have that compelling reason, you may have a chance and should give it a shot... you have nothing to lose other than expose yourself to a rejection which you will get over in jig time!

We of course don't know the politics of the local company, your potential return could prove embarrassing to some senior people. If it is a locally owned private company, this is likely to be less of an issue but if its a bigger unit managed by local employees, this could be a major roadblock. Neither do we know how you are regarded as a person/employee, they may dislike you because you were opinionated, awkward, disaffected, grumpy, difficult, disloyal etc etc.

You main hope would be to approach the top banana, or at least the highest level exec you can access, with a cogently worked proposal and offer it to them before taking it to other competitors. That will show some old-time loyalty. Forget about local jobs, this is a business decision for them to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

I wouldn't take someone back, not so much the competitor aspect but the fact that no one is indispensable or bigger than the company.

I've had people working for me where the job becaomes their life and they seem to think the company won't move if they leave for any reason, but it does.

if after 3 years they havent managed to find the secret sauce thats their issue really, but maybe they have found the process and you don't know about it or they just don't bother with the process.

I would move on, if they were to take you back, they would put you straight back into the same mundane and monotonous role (probably)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Strip out all the details - the question is ‘Do I apply for a job I previously held?’
    The answer is easy –No, because you would not get it back for the good reasons given above.
    Even if you were an ‘expatriated’ employee returning to the ‘home’ company, re-integration is a nightmare. That is why about half of returning expatriates never reintegrate, are unhappy and move on within a year of returning.
    Your experiences, newly acquired skills, mindset, etc make you an unsuitable candidate. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Thanks all
    After sleeping on it i agree with all the replies above, Move on and don't look back.....If i meet the main man in Tesco i will float the idea to him, after all business is business and if there is anyway a mutual understanding could be reached that would be good , if not so be it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    Thanks all
    After sleeping on it i agree with all the replies above, Move on and don't look back.....If i meet the main man in Tesco i will float the idea to him, after all business is business and if there is anyway a mutual understanding could be reached that would be good , if not so be it !

Why not..
    But do it on a consultancy basis..
    In-Out, hopefully successful outcome, and a wad of cash too. And you don't need to worry about being accepted long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

Afternoon,
    I've two questions......

1) Why not run with it yourself????

or

2) Why not put proposal together for the foreign company that have the tech and get them to open a plant here?

If the proposal for 1 and/or 2 above and product are good Enterprise Ireland would be happy to talk. I'm sure a govt minister or two would love a new jobs announcement and you'll fulfil your two primary requirements a) local jobs b) job for yourself.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Agree with AndyJB. If the only real problem with the new venture is related to geographical politics, that's exactly how you pitch it to the development agency of your choice. Unless you're setting up on the same industrial estate, they won't really care about the other factory - especially if you emphasise the numerous other competitor manufacturers in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Thanks for the replies all
    I am seriously considering all the advice given here,
    Scaldy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Don't give the knowledge away for free. Whatever you do don't do that because they wont thank you for it and you will have lost something that is potentially very profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    O...BUT now you have knowledge that can help your old plant greatly because you have had the opportunity to test out your theories over the last 3 years .......

In my limited experience its very hard to change a mindset, or culture, especially from the bottom up. Even if they took it on board, would they be willing to compensate (pay) you for your efforts. I suspect not.

Their perspective is different than yours.

Advertisement